Will Violence kill another revolution?

The 60s saw many young citizens around North America and later Europe embrace protests in support of Peace. 

The hatred of Vietnam War was a leading cause but not the only cause. Kenndey assassinations, dirty politics, the draft in the US, Bay of Pigs, Cuba standoff, nuclear bombs, war mongers etc. 

Young people, the music, films, art, festivals, dress, showed wanted change. Every hippie loved Hendrix, Dylan, etc. 

Then came violence, Kent State, Monterey, Democratic Conv., Black Panthers, the FLQ, Race riots, the violence of the drug trade began, and the extreme took over. Suddenly the violent edges dominated and those of us in the middle had to abandon and became disillusioned with the political process. We did want a new world but the industrial war complex, the money and business of war, and the violent fringes sent us packing to live where we still linger listening to the music of an era that wanted to make a difference. 

The failure of the 60s peace revolution has led to a culture that now features more and  increasing violence, gun use, drug, gangs, failed political systems, governments vs the people, and despair in a large segment of us.

The beginning of these latest protests are rooted with the right heart, the sincere desire for positive change and the knowledge that our political systems cannot and will not allow the change. 

Violence is now the news not the movement. 

Will this revolution again be stopped by the same reasons as the 60s.?

9 minutes ago, Niagara Bill said:

the violent fringes sent us packing to live where we still linger listening to the music of an era that wanted to make a difference. 

Burton Cummings would be vilified as a communist by many of the people who love his music if he released this tune today

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

To me, the 60s seemed to be strong disagreements, by viewpoints that could at least acknowledge the other side's premises and values.  Today seems ruled by hatred and ignorance.  I hope I am wrong.

I am afraid you are right! So much hatred. 

" Something is happening, but you don't know what it is, do you Mr. Jones?"

2 minutes ago, GG said:

Because obviously it's never been implemented properly.  

I got what I expected from you, ridicule, and. hatred, the subject you and too many others have.

You do not seek solutions only sow the seeds of hatred from your basement.

"Old Howard just pointed with his gun,

And said " that way, down Highway 61"

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Niagara Bill said:

I got what I expected from you, ridicule, and. hatred, the subject you and too many others have.

You've confused mockery and hatred.

• Like (+1) 1

I’m not sure that the movement in the 1960s was as futile as the OP makes it sound. After Vietnam the US had about 25 years of relative peace and prosperity.  Things around the world simmered during those 25 years, and now they are starting to boil again.  That doesn’t mean the 1960s were futile, it means things are cyclical.  Perhaps we’ll have a Democrat president, with inflation and higher taxes sometime soon, like Jimmy Carter all over again.  I think the current policies of cutting taxes, increasing spending, and printIng money are leading us down that path.

25 minutes ago, Niagara Bill said:

Keep proving that you don't know what you are talking about or learned anything in history class.  

Edited by GG

19 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

You've confused mockery and hatred.

No I didnt

Mockery = ridicule =hatred

Look in the mirror if your basement has one

The more you write the closer to the anarchists you sound, violent, and hatred are the hallmark...you got them big time.

Likely your theme is "let them eat cake", 

6 minutes ago, GG said:

Keep proving that you don't know what you are talking about or learned anything in history class.  

GG, I know you are uneducated except by your basement dwelling agents.

You are the lowest basement dweller imaginable. Your mother likely didn't hug you enough...

Now FO and spread your hatred and view the world through that tiny little window.

Peace,!

"And Louis the King, let me think for a minute son,

And he said , yes I think it can be done,

Just take everything done to Highway 61"

Edited by Niagara Bill

4 minutes ago, Niagara Bill said:

GG, I know you are uneducated except by your basement dwelling agents.

You are the lowest basement dweller imaginable. Your mother likely didn't hug you enough...

Now FO and spread your hatred and view the world through that tiny little window.

You asked a question, I gave you a historical perspective.   You devolved into insults in a forum where that's not allowed. 

Who's the unhinged one again?