Thomas Sowell - Quote of the Day

dubs

41 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

How was slavery necessary? 

Tibs, you wrote that Tom Cotton said that slavery was necessary.  Tom Cotton, a sitting member of Congress, saying that slavery was necessary.

In actuality, he said that the Founding Fathers viewed it as a necessary evil. 

Do you really not see the difference in those two things?  I mean, come on, these types of lies that come out and are all over the media is what makes the country divided, makes people distrust the entire media, and honestly makes it impossible to discuss anything.

So let me ask you again, do you see the difference in what you wrote and what he actually said?

Edited by dubs
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Thomas Sowell on Donald Trump

“Those of us who like to believe that human beings are rational can sometimes have a hard time trying to explain what is going on in 
politics. It is still a puzzle to me how millions of patriotic Americans could have voted in 2008 for a man who for 20 years -- TWENTY YEARS -- was a follower of a preacher who poured out his hatred for America in the most gross gutter terms.

“Today's big puzzle is how so many otherwise rational people have become enamoured of Donald Trump, projecting onto him virtues and principles that he clearly does not have, and ignoring gross defects that are all too blatant.”

~ Thomas Sowell, from his article ‘Do Emotions Trump Facts?’

giphy.gif?cid=4d1e4f29vbolxvxlymh5avpep2

Edited by BillStime
  • Like (+1) 1

af1feb4c-2001-4fdc-93dd-798f91667c23.png&w=80&h=80
Opinion by 
Columnist
July 30, 2020 at 11:30 a.m. EDT
Add to list

Republicans, especially in the era of President Trump, have adopted the swaggering tone and false bravado of high school athletes — heavy on trash talk but low on accomplishments. In 2016, Trump incited his followers to slug protesters; as president, he told cops to not be “too nice” putting suspects in police cars. Gun-toting MAGA protesters charged the Michigan Capitol to scream at security forces and threaten Democratic Gov. Gretchen Whitmer. Trump orders federal forces to intimidate and attack peaceful protesters. Such bluster too often morphs into cruelty — toward children at the border, toward those unemployed through no fault of their own (slackers!). But more often than not, this is a party of sniveling victims and temper tantrums

Increasingly, the Republican Party has adopted an agenda of hurt feelings and seething resentment. The focus is inward-looking and not on the lives of ordinary Americans. As Robert P. Jones puts it in his new book, “White Too Long: The Legacy of White Supremacy in American Christianity”: “By activating the white supremacy sequence within white Christian DNA, which was primed for receptivity by the perceived external threat of racial and cultural change in the country, Trump was able to convert white evangelicals in the course of a single political campaign from so-called values voters to ‘nostalgia voters.’ ” … [H]e evoked powerful fears about the loss of white Christian dominance amid a rapidly changing environment.”

When so intently focused on recapturing a mythical past to alleviate Republicans’ sense of loss, the party becomes a vehicle for self-therapy and for assuaging a sense of resentment. To justify this self-absorption, they must engage in a perpetual search for evidence that justifies racism and xenophobia. This is not a governing philosophy. This is not a problem-solving movement. The reason Republicans are forever screaming and whining and accusing others is simple: Victimhood and self-pity is becoming the core of what the GOP is about. This surely is not the manly party it pretends to be.

On 7/29/2020 at 10:22 PM, dubs said:

So he wants more people in jail. Let freedom ring 

On 7/27/2020 at 9:23 AM, dubs said:

Tibs, you wrote that Tom Cotton said that slavery was necessary.  Tom Cotton, a sitting member of Congress, saying that slavery was necessary.

In actuality, he said that the Founding Fathers viewed it as a necessary evil. 

Do you really not see the difference in those two things?  I mean, come on, these types of lies that come out and are all over the media is what makes the country divided, makes people distrust the entire media, and honestly makes it impossible to discuss anything.

So let me ask you again, do you see the difference in what you wrote and what he actually said?

He’s wrong. Many of the founders saw slavery as a positive good. That’s the historical lie Cotton is trying to infuse into the debate. Horrible 

2 hours ago, Tiberius said:

He’s wrong. Many of the founders saw slavery as a positive good. That’s the historical lie Cotton is trying to infuse into the debate. Horrible 

That's a contradictory statement.  You couldn't punch your way out of a wet paper bag that was open. 

1 minute ago, 3rdnlng said:

That's a contradictory statement.  You couldn't punch your way out of a wet paper bag that was open. 

The kid truly is amazing.  Let's recap:

Fibs : "Tom Cotton says that slavery is necessary"

The world: "Um, actually what he said was that the founding fathers viewed slavery as a necessary evil"

Fibs: "False! Many of the founders saw slavery as a positive good"

The world: "Um, bro, the point is that you tried to claim that a sitting US senator stated that his opinion was that slavery was necessary"

• Haha (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, B-Man said:

The next time some academics tell you how important diversity is, ask how many Republicans there are in their sociology department.

Thomas Sowell

....Sowell even at age 89 is held in the highest acclaim worldwide.......except on PPP......so it's the "world opinion vs the PPP self proclaimed experts (COUGH)"...who wins (BIGGER COUGH)??.....as my WAY left relatives would say, "let ME explain this for YOU".........the all knowing..........

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy

13 hours ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

....Sowell even at age 89 is held in the highest acclaim worldwide.......except on PPP......so it's the "world opinion vs the PPP self proclaimed experts (COUGH)"...who wins (BIGGER COUGH)??.....as my WAY left relatives would say, "let ME explain this for YOU".........the all knowing..........

Every person here that's talking trash about Sowell is trolling. Literally every single one. Who cares what they say?

• Like (+1) 1

On 7/31/2020 at 1:18 AM, BillStime said:

Thomas Sowell on Donald Trump

“Today's big puzzle is how so many otherwise rational people have become enamored of Donald Trump, projecting onto him virtues and principles that he clearly does not have, and ignoring gross defects that are all too blatant.”
~ Thomas Sowell, from his article ‘Do Emotions Trump Facts?’

The problem with the George Wills, Mit Romneys, Mc Cains, and Buckleys is  as virtuous, principled, and perfect as they think they are, they were ineffective in defining and addressing the important issues of the day.

I was impressed by the simplicity of Thomas Sowell's quotes until this one. RL addressed this issue on Friday's show about how the Conservative elite are NTs. Their hand is always out, get nothing accomplished, but then comes Trump, and they are exposed.

Edited by Niagara