Unpopular takes on TBD

We are a far from a lock to win the division or make the playoffs. We needed 4 fourth quarter comebacks last year and played one of the top 3 easiest schedules in football. If people think the Patriots will be an easy out this year, they will be much better than most of the teams we earned wins against last season and the schedules is night and day in difficulty. It's also nice being the underdog, which we no longer are. 

Edited by KzooMike
  • Like (+1) 2

18 minutes ago, KzooMike said:

We are a far from a lock to win the division or make the playoffs. We needed 4 fourth quarter comebacks last year and played one of the top 3 easiest schedules in football. If people think the Patriots will be an easy out this year, they will be much better than most of the teams we earned wins against last season and the schedules is night and day in difficulty. It's also nice being the underdog, which we no longer are. 

With that being said the Bills have the easiest schedule in the division. https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl/news/nfl-strength-of-schedule-2020-hardest-easiest/k6tyxtfog6uh14hb6vh59icqe

Edited by Kirby Jackson

Unpopular?

The following are underrated by TBD, not too surprising since a lot of these guys were poster children of our drought.

Dick Jauron

Chris Kelsay

Donte Whitner

Leodis McKelvin

Roscoe Parrish

19 hours ago, jwhit34 said:

Unpopular take on TBD: Duke Williams has been vastly overrated here ever since he got to Buffalo. 

Just the number of likes to the post indicate the opposite - that Duke Williams is not thought of highly.

Not agreeing or disagreeing. Just pointing out that logically speaking the more that people think Duke Williams is overrated, the opposite (Duke not overrated) is more likely true ?

Edited by IgotBILLStopay

21 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Lee Smith is actually a good role player on this team.  He is a superior inline blocker.  He had 9 penalties (8 accepted/1 declined) last year which is the big knock against him.  Interestingly though 7 of those were in three games - all losses to NE(3), Phil(2), and Clev(2).  For reference Dawkins had 12, Ford had 10, and Morse had 9 called against them.  Now these three are on the filed more far more than Smith which still makes his penalties frustrating.  

I think he still makes the team with Knox, Kroft, and Sweeney goes to the PS one more time. I can see them letting Smith go and carrying an extra OT especially if the kid from UW pans out.  I'd be fine with that scenario but I do think Smith deserves a bit more credit on this board for his play than most give him.  

Interested to see what others have to post

Sweeney was never on the PS iirc

unpopular hot take:  by mid season, we realize that our OL isn’t nearly as good as we thought it was and is the reason that we are knocked out of the playoffs

6 hours ago, Sherlock Holmes said:

Since Kuechly retired, McCaffery has the best @$$ in all of football...also he is going to be the GOAT and will someday retire a Bill.:wub:

@Victory Formation, well prove me wrong bro who has a better behind? Cooper Kupp? Josh Allen? I say we have a wet football pant contest for charity!!!?:wub: I'll host and judge...

6 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

With that being said the Bills have the easiest schedule in the division. https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl/news/nfl-strength-of-schedule-2020-hardest-easiest/k6tyxtfog6uh14hb6vh59icqe

I was going to say the same thing. All the AFC teams have difficult schedules. 10-6 surely will win the division and 9 wins may wrap it up by mid Decemebr if the Patriots fall apart. 

Dolphins are well coached but a couple years away. Jets are terribly coached but still may have the best QB in the division. I still like Allen over Darnold and did before the draft. But so far neither is truly ahead of the other. Maybe both will get better this year and they will battle each other for a number of years. Will be interesting to see what happens 

• Like (+1) 2

21 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Lawson outplayed Murphy the last two years yet McD kept starting Murphy. Made no sense. Obviously we don't have all the facts but we watch the games and can see who made plays and who didn't. 

I think most people would agree that Shaq has outplayed Murphy over the last two years overall. But, if we are talking unpopular takes, I think the following is more unpopular:

I wonder if maybe it took until midseason of last year for Murphy to get fully healthy. Yes, I know that's 2 full years, and some guys can get back from an ACL in like 8 months. But, Murphy not only had a Grade 3 ACL tear (where it tore completely in half), but he also tore his MCL at the same time. His game really started to pickup around week 6 last year. And in his last six games of the season (including the playoff game), Murphy had 6 sacks, 21 tackles, 8 QB hits, 2 forced fumbles, 1 fumble recovery. For comparison, Shaq had 3.5 sacks, 12 tackles, 10 QB hits, 1 forced fumble, over the same six games. Edge to Murphy over that most recent span. 

Murphy was actually a beast in the Dallas game, the Pittsburgh game, and the Houston playoff game. Go back and watch the highlights.

On 6/20/2020 at 5:51 PM, Kirby Jackson said:

Mario Addison will underachieve. He didn’t have a sack in like the last 8 games and he ate up terrible OTs other than that. I say he has less than 7 sacks which he hasn’t done in years.

It was only the last 4 games he did not have a sack (not 8). And yes, 3 of his sacks came against Arizona and 1.5 against Washington. But look at any pass rusher. First, sacks usually come in bunches, and secondly, every great pass rusher feasts on weaker competition (Bruce did it all the time...4-6 sacks per season came in the two games against the lowly Jets). Another for instance, T.J. Watt had 6.5 of his sacks against Cinncinati, Miami, and Cleveland last year. Shaquil Barrett, the sack leader last year got 4 of his sacks against the Giants, 3 against Carolina, 2 against JAX (plus 1 each against Arizona and Detroit). That's 11 of his sacks against "weaker" competition. You could pretty much make that claim about almost any pass rusher. It is kind of par for the course. Now, if Addison wasn't feasting on weaker competition, then I'd be worried.

Edited by folz
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1