Unpopular takes on TBD

1 hour ago, BillsVet said:

It speaks volumes about his team-building strategy that, in his first off-season as a HC, he signed 2 UFA safeties and drafted a CB in the first.  

I know having these players allows McD to run his defense and there are some benefits to that.  Thing is, the cost to retain these 3 is going to rise exponentially.  Tre will want a huge extension, Poyer just re-signed a 2 year 20.5M extension, although Hyde's contract expires after the 2021 season.  It's not as wise an investment given what we know about how difficult it is to keep a defense together and that side of the ball's impact on the W column. 

Except in recent years having a good to great secondary has almost become a pre-requisite for winning a Superbowl.... every bit as much as having a good to great Quarterback. In the last 8 or 9 years the only real exception I can find are the Eagles and the Chiefs - although the difference between the Chiefs team that won the Superbowl with Mahomes and the one that didn't.... could well be argued it is the Honey Badger. Think of it this way.... if you have your QB you are going to be leading lots and if you are leading lots teams are passing on you lots. That means you need good players back there.

I think McDermott can and will keep replenishing and coaching up these DBs and it will continue to be critical to their success.

Edited by GunnerBill

5 minutes ago, Gugny said:

No.  No.  No.  No.  No.  The Goodnight Tonight bass line makes it better than both of those Stones songs (both of which were far more disco than any McCartney/Wings song, ever).

No bigger waste of talent in history than the last 50 years of Macca. :(

1 hour ago, Jauronimo said:

Stones can also boast great disco band too.  Lets not forget Emotional Rescue.

Miss You disco extended version and Shakedown Street are the two best disco songs all time

4 minutes ago, Rico said:

No bigger waste of talent in history than the last 50 years of Macca. :(

I think he showcased his talents on a pretty consistent basis, both with the Beatles and with WIngs/solo stuff.  Tons of great bass lines, lead vocals and harmonies.

Yeah ... he wrote lots of radio-friendly, poppy tunes.  But he also wrote some high-quality stuff.  He just loved writing hits and those hits are why he's loved across the globe.

18 hours ago, BruceVilanch said:

Duke Williams gets the Michael Jasper treatment on this board. I don't understand the fascination with him and I didn't understand the fascination with Jasper.

This all may be true BUT i certainly understand the fascination with Jasper, to get a guy that big that was as quick as he was incredible to say the least.  Fascination with Johnson comes from his upbringing and his time at Auburn and CFL.

• Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, Gugny said:

I think he showcased his talents on a pretty consistent basis, both with the Beatles and with WIngs/solo stuff.  Tons of great bass lines, lead vocals and harmonies.

Yeah ... he wrote lots of radio-friendly, poppy tunes.  But he also wrote some high-quality stuff.  He just loved writing hits and those hits are why he's loved across the globe.

Linda Eastman and her father broke up the Beatles, not Yoko.

3 minutes ago, Rico said:

Linda Eastman and her father broke up the Beatles, not Yoko.

I've never believed that Yoko broke up the Beatles.  But I don't think Linda did, either.  They ran their course, like many others do.

51 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Except in recent years having a good to great secondary has almost become a pre-requisite for winning a Superbowl.... every bit as much as having a good to great Quarterback. In the last 8 or 9 years the only real exception I can find are the Eagles and the Chiefs - although the difference between the Chiefs team that won the Superbowl with Mahomes and the one that didn't.... could well be argued it is the Honey Badger. Think of it this way.... if you have your QB you are going to be leading lots and if you are leading lots teams are passing on you lots. That means you need good players back there.

I think McDermott can and will keep replenishing and coaching up these DBs and it will continue to be critical to their success.

I don't think Chiefs win the SB or even get there w/out Mathieu, Berry was old and he revitalized that defense although I credit his run support as much as his pass defense chops

• Like (+1) 1

42 minutes ago, Gugny said:

I've never believed that Yoko broke up the Beatles.  But I don't think Linda did, either.  They ran their course, like many others do.

A lot of people have the psychological "need" to blame someone for their breakup but I agree, they ran their course. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, GoBills808 said:

I don't think Chiefs win the SB or even get there w/out Mathieu, Berry was old and he revitalized that defense although I credit his run support as much as his pass defense chops

Stevie Johnson collected that fat bounty on Berry when he took out his knees leading Berry to be infected with Hodgkins during his ACL operation. Berry has never been the same.  

1 minute ago, Jauronimo said:

Stevie Johnson collected that fat bounty on Berry when he took out his knees leading Berry to be infected with Hodgkins during his ACL operation. Berry has never been the same.  

All I took this is that Andy Reid can cure cancer 

Back in the day, there was no bigger puss to play for the Sabres than Jim Schoenfeld after he got married, what a night-and-day change. ***** you Schoeny, it was glorious when you got traded out of town.

4 hours ago, Gugny said:

Even if Yoko is to blame, it's more on Lennon than her. Apparently he refused to let her out of his sight.

9 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Well I do too and those are misses.  I don't think it's a situation of wanting a DB over a QB...it's more of a situation they didn't have grades as high on Mahomes and Watson.  

And that (to me) would indicate stupidity. 

Hey, jmo.

Baseball will be hard pressed to pull off a season but they have little contact. The NBA just MAY survive the bubble crap (wrap?) approach. The NFL has almost zero chance of having a meaningful season. Is that unpopular enough?  It may not be uncommon, but it’s probably almost universally unpopular. 

• Like (+1) 3