Unpopular takes on TBD

Lawson balled out this past year because it was his "contract year".If McBeane had picked up his 5th year option, Shaq would've coasted in 2019 and balled out in 2020. (I wish it was possible to wait on picking up the option until after year 4, so teams could potentially get 2 years of hustle out of some players.)

The Dolphins won't see much out of him until he's getting ready for his 3rd contract run.

Edited by BornAgainBillsFan
  • Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, NewEra said:

I agree with #3-7.  

1-  The reason a high sack conversion rate is seen as a bad thing is because it means he has little to no pressures. A pressure that doesn’t lead to a sack, but leads to a TO on downs or TO is just as good as a sack in most cases.  He just didn’t make very plays imo.  

2-  I think Addison is a better fit for this team based on our current DL.  

7- I didn’t even watch the kick.  When I saw Norwood run into the field I ran into my room and cried.  Seconds later I hear my pops erupt like a volcano. 8 seconds left.  My 15 year old self was praying that we’d throw a quick out or quick dump off to Thurman to get oob with 1 second left.  Risky with 8 seconds but Norwood kicking a 47 yard FG was riskier

1. I am the president of his fan club (not really) but I loved the dude.  Loved him wearing the Jersey and loved him representing Buffalo.  I know it is unpopular to think he should have got the 10 mill here but I think he was worth it.

2.  Addison is the more productive pass rusher but has 1 maybe 2 years left.  I don't know that he can be as productive as he was in the past.  I don't hate him but Lawson was another one of those guys that I feel brought more than just stats.  He also is on the way up in his career.  So I see it as even maybe slight advantage to Addison next year then no contest the following 3 years of his deal.

7.  I was a foot away from the tv kneeling down and as soon as he kicked it I knew he missed it.  Running it with Thurman right before the kick was an interesting move and not one I agree with.  That was committing to spiking the ball and kicking no matter where it ended up.  What if he got stuffed?

2 minutes ago, section122 said:

1. I am the president of his fan club (not really) but I loved the dude.  Loved him wearing the Jersey and loved him representing Buffalo.  I know it is unpopular to think he should have got the 10 mill here but I think he was worth it.

2.  Addison is the more productive pass rusher but has 1 maybe 2 years left.  I don't know that he can be as productive as he was in the past.  I don't hate him but Lawson was another one of those guys that I feel brought more than just stats.  He also is on the way up in his career.  So I see it as even maybe slight advantage to Addison next year then no contest the following 3 years of his deal.

7.  I was a foot away from the tv kneeling down and as soon as he kicked it I knew he missed it.  Running it with Thurman right before the kick was an interesting move and not one I agree with.  That was committing to spiking the ball and kicking no matter where it ended up.  What if he got stuffed?

1- I hear ya.  I wasn’t happy when he signed elsewhere, but I was  happy for him.  He got more than I thought he’d get.  I’d rather have him than Butler but I’m eager to see how butler

responds playing in this D with McD.  What’s key for Beane is cap flexibility. Phillips current contract has an out after 2 years.  Butler can be released after this year.

2-  i hear ya.  I would’ve liked to see Shaq resigned too but I think some are underestimating Addison. I think he’s gonna be a great rotational piece.  Similar to Phillips, shaqs contract is, at minimum for 2 years, while the Bills can cut ties with Addison after 1.  

-the difference in price is almost equal to quinton Jefferson’s contract, which can be jettisoned after 1 year if needed.  Flexibility.  

7-  I hear ya.  Would’ve been nice if he could’ve gotten oob on that run.  The pass to mckellar on the previous play made me sad. 

10 minutes ago, NewEra said:

1- I hear ya.  I wasn’t happy when he signed elsewhere, but I was  happy for him.  He got more than I thought he’d get.  I’d rather have him than Butler but I’m eager to see how butler

responds playing in this D with McD.  What’s key for Beane is cap flexibility. Phillips current contract has an out after 2 years.  Butler can be released after this year.

2-  i hear ya.  I would’ve liked to see Shaq resigned too but I think some are underestimating Addison. I think he’s gonna be a great rotational piece.  Similar to Phillips, shaqs contract is, at minimum for 2 years, while the Bills can cut ties with Addison after 1.  

-the difference in price is almost equal to quinton Jefferson’s contract, which can be jettisoned after 1 year if needed.  Flexibility.  

7-  I hear ya.  Would’ve been nice if he could’ve gotten oob on that run.  The pass to mckellar on the previous play made me sad. 

Addison signed a 3 yr/ $30M contract, with a little over $13M guaranteed, and he is 32 years old right now.  He's probably not going anywhere until after next year.  I thought Addison was a one year commitment, though other posters said that wasn't true, and they were right.  He has put up typically 9-11 sacks and 19-27 solo tackles over the past four seasons.  Not sure why a 2-3 year commitment was made on a DE 32 years old, that is about the time they hit a wall production-wise.

Jefferson signed a 2 yr/$30.5M contract with a little over $6 guaranteed, and he is 27 years old right now.  Jefferson can be cut after this year.

57 minutes ago, Happy said:

Addison signed a 3 yr/ $30M contract, with a little over $13M guaranteed, and he is 32 years old right now.  He's probably not going anywhere until after next year.  I thought Addison was a one year commitment, though other posters said that wasn't true, and they were right.  He has put up typically 9-11 sacks and 19-27 solo tackles over the past four seasons.  Not sure why a 2-3 year commitment was made on a DE 32 years old, that is about the time they hit a wall production-wise.

Jefferson signed a 2 yr/$30.5M contract with a little over $6 guaranteed, and he is 27 years old right now.  Jefferson can be cut after this year.

Addisons dead cap is 4 mill on a 8.2 mill cap

hit.  They can cut him if they want to.  Or

they can keep him an it’ll cost 8.2 mill.  Not too big of a hit.  He creates pressure

7 hours ago, Rico said:

Boneless > Drums and Flats

7 hours ago, Happy said:

Now you've gone too far.  Boneless sucks.  I would take flats over boneless, and would even take blue cheese over boneless.

I'd prefer flat drums over boneless. :thumbsup:

7 hours ago, Rico said:

Stones > Beatles

Ok, ok - you're pretty good at this unpopular thingy. :flirt:

7 hours ago, Happy said:

Ranch is better than blue cheese.  The only place blue cheese and wings are a thing is in Buffalo.  Outside of that, it's simply personal preference.  I suppose that can be an unpopular take.

Oh geez - now look what you've done. :doh:

7 hours ago, Pete said:

Steaming pile of *****>ranch

UNPOPULAR

This is the UNPOPULAR thread. 

6 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

That's because the blue cheese you get at most Buffalo pizza places is a lot better than blue cheese salad dressing bottles you buy at the grocery store for whatever reason.  The blue cheese tastes better in gallon containers maybe or home made.  I'm not sure Rootie's blue cheese is available across the country.

MMMMMM - give me a vat of that and a spoon. :D

5 hours ago, Happy said:

None of those.  Ranch and wings are like bread is to a sandwich.

I like me some ranch on my salad or as a dip for veggies - but my wings scream for a nice, chunky BC.

On 6/20/2020 at 2:39 PM, Ethan in Portland said:

Lee Smith is actually a good role player on this team.  He is a superior inline blocker.  He had 9 penalties (8 accepted/1 declined) last year which is the big knock against him.  Interestingly though 7 of those were in three games - all losses to NE(3), Phil(2), and Clev(2).  For reference Dawkins had 12, Ford had 10, and Morse had 9 called against them.  Now these three are on the filed more far more than Smith which still makes his penalties frustrating.  

I think he still makes the team with Knox, Kroft, and Sweeney goes to the PS one more time. I can see them letting Smith go and carrying an extra OT especially if the kid from UW pans out.  I'd be fine with that scenario but I do think Smith deserves a bit more credit on this board for his play than most give him.  

Interested to see what others have to post

I really hoped Smith was going to show more than he has his entire career last year when the Bills signed him.

He hasn't and should be replaced this year.

IF he is still on the team next year the best I can do is scratch my head.

My unpopular opinions about the current Bills:

1. They still need pass rush help. Addison and Hughes are going to look their age. AJ helps longer term but he is more of the Shaq bigger end replacement. They need a young bendy, fast twitch guy. 

2. Brian Daboll has done a decent job. I will get flamed for this but developing a raw, project Quarterback with the pieces Brandon Beane has given, or in his own admission, failed to give and getting improvement has been a moderate success. It needs to kick up a gear this season, granted, but the people who focus on the odd playcall they didn't like are missing the bigger picture. 

3. Josh Norman is the best former Panther they signed this offseason. 

4. Joe Schoen is a vastly underrated part of what the Bills have done. He is best scout on staff. I think when he gets his own GM job he will be very much missed. 

5. They are more likely to win 9 games in 2020 than 12 games. 

My all time most unpopular Bills take (I have had a few) was that Nathan Peterman sucked. I thought he sucked before we drafted him and was not at all surprised that he was the worst QB of all time. Yet when I said that in the summer of 2017 it was the only opinion I have ever had on this board that led to me receiving abusive PMs from a particular user. I took more heat for that than I ever took for thinking Tyrod sucked or hating Rex Ryan's hire or not liking the Josh Allen pick even. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1) Marv Levy was just OK as a coach, and I only rate him that high because he was good at soothing egos. 

2) Marv was the worst GM I for one ever saw. He made Whaley (an utter disaster) look good, and I mean this. He hired his clone Jauron who could not have coached the Steel Curtain to a Super Bowl.

3) The 2006 Draft destroyed this team. I said it would immediately after it, and think that taking into account the talent that was available, it was the worst draft ever for the Bills. To this day there are some who say it wasn't that bad because "Whitner was good."  I get a knot in my stomach when I hear this LOL.

Look, Levy seems like a nice man and i don't wish to offend anyone by these opinions. These are just my answers to an interesting thread.

On 6/20/2020 at 5:14 PM, Royale with Cheese said:

We were right in trading Sammy Watkins.

WOW!!!

I could not disagree more but I admire the fact that you stand by your conviction! 

57 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

3) The 2006 Draft destroyed this team. I said it would immediately after it, and think that taking into account the talent that was available, it was the worst draft ever for the Bills. To this day there are some who say it wasn't that bad because "Whitner was good."  I get a knot in my stomach when I hear this LOL.

Kyle Williams?

1 hour ago, Metal Man said:

Kyle Williams?

Great player, great pick. Remember, we went into that draft with the #8,  2 early 2nds and an early 3rd. We actually traded up for a horrible DE John McCargo.  So, from those 4 picks we came away with:

Donte Whitner (S) - So-so player at #8

John McCargo (DE) - Awful DE at #26

Ashton Youboty (DB) - Horrible player 6th pick of round 3

Then, we followed up this mess with Ko Simpson  (DB) - Another terrible player with the 8th pick of round 4.

Not good.

• Like (+1) 1