Unpopular takes on TBD

20 minutes ago, folz said:

I think most people would agree that Shaq has outplayed Murphy over the last two years overall. But, if we are talking unpopular takes, I think the following is more unpopular:

I wonder if maybe it took until midseason of last year for Murphy to get fully healthy. Yes, I know that's 2 full years, and some guys can get back from an ACL in like 8 months. But, Murphy not only had a Grade 3 ACL tear (where it tore completely in half), but he also tore his MCL at the same time. His game really started to pickup around week 6 last year. And in his last six games of the season (including the playoff game), Murphy had 6 sacks, 21 tackles, 8 QB hits, 2 forced fumbles, 1 fumble recovery. For comparison, Shaq had 3.5 sacks, 12 tackles, 10 QB hits, 1 forced fumble, over the same six games. Edge to Murphy over that most recent span. 

Murphy was actually a beast in the Dallas game, the Pittsburgh game, and the Houston playoff game. Go back and watch the highlights.

These numbers more or less even out when you consider that Murphy got about twice the snaps as Shaq.

On 6/20/2020 at 5:42 PM, Golden Goat said:

The Patriots won't be nearly as bad as many are predicting.

Bill > Tom

Truth. It's going to be a tooth and nail fight to win the division. Fasten your seatbelts and pass the TUMS.

22 hours ago, The Jerk said:

Cellino and Barnes: We need a jingle.

Jingle Maker: What's the name of your business?

Cellino and Barnes: Cellino and Barnes. 

Jingle Maker: What business are you in?

Ceiling and Barnes: We're injury attorneys.

Jingle Maker: What's your phone number?

Cellino and Barnes: 888 8888

Jingle Maker: I'll see what I can come up with...

Simple = effective 

2 hours ago, folz said:

I think most people would agree that Shaq has outplayed Murphy over the last two years overall. But, if we are talking unpopular takes, I think the following is more unpopular:

I wonder if maybe it took until midseason of last year for Murphy to get fully healthy. Yes, I know that's 2 full years, and some guys can get back from an ACL in like 8 months. But, Murphy not only had a Grade 3 ACL tear (where it tore completely in half), but he also tore his MCL at the same time. His game really started to pickup around week 6 last year. And in his last six games of the season (including the playoff game), Murphy had 6 sacks, 21 tackles, 8 QB hits, 2 forced fumbles, 1 fumble recovery. For comparison, Shaq had 3.5 sacks, 12 tackles, 10 QB hits, 1 forced fumble, over the same six games. Edge to Murphy over that most recent span. 

Murphy was actually a beast in the Dallas game, the Pittsburgh game, and the Houston playoff game. Go back and watch the highlights.

It was only the last 4 games he did not have a sack (not 8). And yes, 3 of his sacks came against Arizona and 1.5 against Washington. But look at any pass rusher. First, sacks usually come in bunches, and secondly, every great pass rusher feasts on weaker competition (Bruce did it all the time...4-6 sacks per season came in the two games against the lowly Jets). Another for instance, T.J. Watt had 6.5 of his sacks against Cinncinati, Miami, and Cleveland last year. Shaquil Barrett, the sack leader last year got 4 of his sacks against the Giants, 3 against Carolina, 2 against JAX (plus 1 each against Arizona and Detroit). That's 11 of his sacks against "weaker" competition. You could pretty much make that claim about almost any pass rusher. It is kind of par for the course. Now, if Addison wasn't feasting on weaker competition, then I'd be worried.

That’s why it’s called an unpopular opinion. I’m calling for 7 or less which we’d all agree is a little less than expected. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Rocky Landing said:

These numbers more or less even out when you consider that Murphy got about twice the snaps as Shaq.

Yes, that was kind of my original point, not that Murphy was better than Shaq, but just that he was a lot better than people think he was or give him credit for in the second half of last year.

But you bring up a good point, I did not equate snap count into the numbers I provided (though it's a bit closer than twice the amount as you guessed). Over each of their last six games (I include Denver for Shaq, but not for Murphy, since Shaq didn't play in the finale against the Jets), Murphy received 66.55% of the snaps to Shaq's 59.56% of the snaps---so Murphy got 6.5 snaps more than Shaq per each game on average, or 39 more snaps total than Shaq over their last six games.

If I pro rate Shaq's stats to include 39 more snaps, then that adds to his totals as follows:

.52 sacks

.08 FF

2.6 tackles

1.45 QB hits

Which would mean the comparison (taking an even snap count into the picture---as best I can) would be:

Murphy                            Shaq

6             sacks              4.02

21           tackles            15

8             QB hits            11.45

2                FF                  1.08

1               FR                    0         

So, pretty even in the pass rushing department (overall), with Murphy having an edge in tackles, and a slight edge in turnovers. But the point being that I think a lot of people seem to think that Shaq was the far superior player (and Murphy sucks), but the team got pretty much the same production out of each guy. There was not a drop-off when Murphy was in the game down the stretch.

They replayed that music city nightmare a couple of Sundays ago on NFLR.  I called in beforehand and spoke with Vic and Marvez.  I told Marvez he was a sadist to all of us Bills fans, and They had quite the laugh From it.  I told him I will not be listening at 4 pm as I’d end up throwing my phone through the wall if I had to listen to that again.

3 hours ago, Halloween Land said:

LeSean McCoy was the best running back the Bills ever had! 

Have you ever seen Joe Cribbs play?  OJ?  Marshawn? Rob Riddick? Thurman?  Cookie?

the Bills have had plenty of talent holes historically at many positions- RB is not one.

I am guessing you are either under 20 or Shady’s cousin

10 minutes ago, Pete said:

Have you ever seen Joe Cribbs play?  OJ?  Marshawn? Rob Riddick? Thurman?  Cookie?

the Bills have had plenty of talent holes historically at many positions- RB is not one.

I am guessing you are either under 20 or Shady’s cousin

Why come into a thread titled “unpopular opinion” and take offense to someone else’s “unpopular opinion?” 

• Like (+1) 3