Unpopular takes on TBD

Lee Smith is actually a good role player on this team.  He is a superior inline blocker.  He had 9 penalties (8 accepted/1 declined) last year which is the big knock against him.  Interestingly though 7 of those were in three games - all losses to NE(3), Phil(2), and Clev(2).  For reference Dawkins had 12, Ford had 10, and Morse had 9 called against them.  Now these three are on the filed more far more than Smith which still makes his penalties frustrating.  

I think he still makes the team with Knox, Kroft, and Sweeney goes to the PS one more time. I can see them letting Smith go and carrying an extra OT especially if the kid from UW pans out.  I'd be fine with that scenario but I do think Smith deserves a bit more credit on this board for his play than most give him.  

Interested to see what others have to post

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Lee Smith is actually a good role player on this team.  He is a superior inline blocker.  He had 9 penalties (8 accepted/1 declined) last year which is the big knock against him.  Interestingly though 7 of those were in three games - all losses to NE(3), Phil(2), and Clev(2).  For reference Dawkins had 12, Ford had 10, and Morse had 9 called against them.  Now these three are on the filed more far more than Smith which still makes his penalties frustrating.  

I think he still makes the team with Knox, Kroft, and Sweeney goes to the PS one more time. I can see them letting Smith go and carrying an extra OT especially if the kid from UW pans out.  I'd be fine with that scenario but I do think Smith deserves a bit more credit on this board for his play than most give him.  

I think Smith goes bye bye.

My unpopular take is that Sweeney ends up having the best TE numbers on the Bills next year.

• Like (+1) 5

19 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

It is not just the number - but how damaging they are to the team. Lee Smith was in for 319 snaps - 8 accepted penalties (5 of them were FS!!). For comparison Dawkins had  7 accepted penalties in 1016 snaps, Ford  7 in 739 snaps and Morse only 3 accepted penalties in 908 snaps. 

https://www.footballdb.com/stats/penalties-player.html?tm=4&yr=2019

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/buf/2019-snap-counts.htm

Lee Smith will likely not make the team if the other guys are healthy. Kroft was also not very great (3 FS penalties in just 244 snaps).

Edit; typed Knox instead of Kroft

Edited by IgotBILLStopay
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Lee caught as many TD's as Duke Williams. Then again, Dion Dawkins caught that many. I don't believe either make the team this season. Would it be fair to keep Duke on the PS again? Should we release him so he can try out for other teams? Would anyone be interested in giving up a 5th or 6th for Lee? I would trade him in a heartbeat foe a pick.

46 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Also, I wouldn't underestimate what he meant from a leadership standpoint in the TE room last year for the young guys (kind of like Gore in the RB room). His contributions off the field may have been more important that his contributions on the field (though as you said, he is still a solid player/blocker, if he could just cut back on the penalties). But maybe the young guys are ready to step up and the leadership aspect of Smith's value won't be as high this year.

• Like (+1) 3

35 minutes ago, Gugny said:

My unpopular take is that Sweeney ends up having the best TE numbers on the Bills next year.

I’m with you on this, Sweeney will turn out o have he best hands of our TEs, its not that I don’t want to see Knox do better...  Also Duke Williams makes the team. 

48 minutes ago, Gugny said:

I like your thoughts on Sweeney. I loved the pick. I think he's ready to take over for Lee. Sweeney was a really good blocker in college and showed really good hands. Limited athleticism, not fast or quick, but with all of the weapons around him, he will make one hell of a safety blanket for Josh. Now, Josh will have to realize sometimes a check down is the best play. Not Trent Edwards type check downs, mind you.

Edited by Dopey
spelling
  • Like (+1) 2

49 minutes ago, Tenhigh said:

Royal Crown is the best cola.

Yes it is, and Crown Royal is the best whiskey.  Think about the delicious combination of the two...RCCR, CRRC, etc.  Could drive a bartender nuts.

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, jwhit34 said:

Unpopular take on TBD: Duke Williams has been vastly overrated here ever since he got to Buffalo. 

We love underdogs in Buffalo.  We love to see the fringe player do well.  The reality is this team has a strong enough roster without the Duke Williams.

My unpopular take, Christian Wade will be a exempt practice squad player again this year.  He will not make the team.

Edited by JK Fan
  • Like (+1) 3