NFLPA recommends that players stop practicing together

Logic

22 hours ago, LeviF91 said:

Centralized power and strong borders? Like, NZ is a couple islands and South Korea has one border with a country they’re technically at war with. Not to mention the differences between East Asian societies and their view of government vs. western ideals. 

Meanwhile Germany is spiking in cases, not huge spikes but not surprising given they’ve been at least semi open since May. 

And of course, their combined populations are less than half that of the USA. 

How about per capita then.  Only 5 nations in the world with higher per capita.  This is not about population...this is about how it was handled. And btw.  USA is still spiking while others have slowed significantly.  So chances are there will be even less nations with higher per capita soon.  

Anyone who thinks this is a product of anything other than leadership should educate themselves more on the topic. 

40 minutes ago, Hebert19 said:

How about per capita then.  Only 5 nations in the world with higher per capita.  This is not about population...this is about how it was handled. And btw.  USA is still spiking while others have slowed significantly.  So chances are there will be even less nations with higher per capita soon.  

Anyone who thinks this is a product of anything other than leadership should educate themselves more on the topic. 

Take it up with emperor Xi.

10 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

Germany has strong borders? Please.

And yes, their combined populations are less than half that of the USA. But the USA has about 4.2% of the world's population and 26% of the world's coronavirus cases. The fact that we're doing worse than nearly anyone else at stopping this thing is not due to our population numbers. Nor is it due to our borders being more open that countries like Germany's, which they are not.

Oh, and as for Germany's "spiking in cases," Their highs for new cases were back in late March and early April, around 5K - 6K per day. They're now closer to 10% of that. Those "spikes" brought the infection rate up to 50 new infections per 100,000 people. How does that relate to the US rate?

There are many contributing factors, but probably the single biggest one was slow and poor reactions right at the beginning, which is the most crucial time in a pandemic.

We needed to listen to the scientists and doctors. We didn't. Bad decisions were made, and they were not restricted to one side of the political map.

Eventually it will come out.  How many PDBs nailed the threat early on in Dec/Jan but were missed or ignored by our not so Great Leader who doesn't read or believe what's in them when it does not personally suit him?  We are paying big for that now.  We are worldwide pandemic losers.

• Like (+1) 4

6 minutes ago, JESSEFEFFER said:

Eventually it will come out.  How many PDBs nailed the threat early on in Dec/Jan but were missed or ignored by our not so Great Leader who doesn't read or believe what's in them when it does not personally suit him?  We are paying big for that now.  We are worldwide pandemic losers.

yep

16 hours ago, The Dean said:

There are not a lot of clean hands in this. But let's be clear. Pelosi did NOT have a bottle of vodka in her hand and did NOT promote a Chinatown parade or fair, as the president claimed. She did however, say to come to Chinatown and it would be safe. BTW, that was two days before SF's first confirmed Covid case.

Not defending anyone here. Just setting the record straight. Outright lies should be corrected ASAP, IMO.

For the record, since then SF has done a relativity great job compared to most populated cities in the US from what I understand.

The point here is ( OBVIOUSLY) NOT the bottle of vodka as anyone that is NOT a robot would understand that it was a joke , because sometimes when she runs her mouth she looks like a ###### drunk that’s my OPINION 

On 6/20/2020 at 3:20 PM, DBilz2500 said:

I’m starting to come to the awful realization that an NFL season will almost be impossible to pull off. Thank you China for ruining that for us as well...

Were you close enough to see the bottom of Trump's leather soled show last night?

13 minutes ago, AlCowlingsTaxiService said:

Wouldn’t be a surprise to find that the scientific community has an agenda too  

Keep looking Detective Jones..

35 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Were you close enough to see the bottom of Trump's leather soled show last night?

What does politics have to do with no NFL?  We're f'd for football in 2020, but as long as one side can blame the other and get their rocks off it's a great day, right?

Holy crap, if we had to fight WWII right now, we'd be doomed.  We cant agree on anything as a society.

Edited by 123719bwiqrb

1 minute ago, 123719bwiqrb said:

What does politics have to do with no NFL?  We're f'd for football in 2020, but as long as one side can blame the other and get their rocks off it's a great day, right?

Yes. it takes all that thinking out of the equation!  

37 minutes ago, AlCowlingsTaxiService said:

The "scientific community" is made up of thousands of individual scientists. Individual scientists may have some agendas--some are liberal, some conservative But the Scientific Community definately has a big agenda: Getting to the truth through the careful application of the scientific method, peer reviews, etc. 

30 minutes ago, Putin said:

The point here is ( OBVIOUSLY) NOT the bottle of vodka as anyone that is NOT a robot would understand that it was a joke , because sometimes when she runs her mouth she looks like a ###### drunk that’s my OPINION 

What about your parade lie, then. Was that just joking too?

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Buffalo619 said:

You telling me offensive and defensive linemen aren’t high risk??!! They are text book high risk.  Lol.  

2 hours ago, LeGOATski said:

those guys are great athletes in their peak shape during the season and still young. They have access to the best medical facilities and professionals.

Most linemen are not in great aerobic shape, and this is a disease that affects lung capacity.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 6/20/2020 at 4:27 PM, Ethan in Portland said:

1/4 of Clemson's football team just tested positive.  

The chance of a full season of football in 2020 is almost zero at this point.  

Or, it doesn’t really matter, it’s like any other type of virus that most get better from. This one was overhyped from the start. 

What is the statistic? The average person who dies is older than the life expectancy of Americans? 

Edited by HamSandwhich

6 hours ago, Logic said:

Well...this is the problem. It's not just THEMSELVES. If player X gets COVID, and maybe doesn't know it because he's asymptomatic, and then goes out to party that night -- a very realistic scenario for invincible-feeling rich 20-somethings -- he can then spread it to a huge number of people.

If it were just "taking responsibility for one's self", it would be a whole different matter. Because of how easily the virus spreads, the reality is that you have responsibility to your community. 

did I not say adults must take responsibility?   that means the "going out to party" part does not happen, or it happens with a mask or whatever on, i.e. take responsibility if you are a public figure and you go out..  no nanny state for me, don't need NYS telling me what to do or how to handle situations..   Cuomo already has demonstrated he has no clue on how to handle this thing, the nursing home debacle was his Katrina. 

15 hours ago, AlCowlingsTaxiService said:

Sure they do.  Promoting science.  Unfortunately, science doesn’t fit with what many people want to hear.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

13 hours ago, ProcessTruster said:

did I not say adults must take responsibility?   that means the "going out to party" part does not happen, or it happens with a mask or whatever on, i.e. take responsibility if you are a public figure and you go out..  no nanny state for me, don't need NYS telling me what to do or how to handle situations..   Cuomo already has demonstrated he has no clue on how to handle this thing, the nursing home debacle was his Katrina. 

I don’t know if you are seeing the rest of the country continue to fall apart, but I would argue Cuomo showed he absolutely knew how to handle this thing. Cuomo made unpopular choices in regards to COVID right from the beginning. The pain in the early stages are now proving to be worth it. New York has been on the steady decline and is slowly re-opening everything. Compare that to Florida, Texas, and Arizona who are all at risk of another shut down due to huge spikes in cases. Unless you think it is all just luck that New York was able to come out of COVID? If nothing was done those super high cases we were witnessing in the beginning would have continued to snowball out of control. 

Edited by PetermansRedemption
  • Like (+1) 1

21 hours ago, The Dean said:

Yes. it sounded as though  the WHO said that---and nearly immediately walked it back as people were taking the statement out of context.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/09/health/who-coronavirus-asymptomatic-spread-bn/index.html

People who do not show symptoms ARE spreading the infection. Many "unsymptomatic" individuals eventually show symptoms---that's pre symptomatic.  Out in the world, you can't tell one from the other. 

Ask Von Miller about  how long it took him to feel normal again. 

https://www.si.com/nfl/2020/05/13/denver-broncos-von-miller-details-frightening-coronavirus-experience

I'm not paranoid. I'm realistic. S#it is going down, and some people have their heads in the sand. 

I said the virus is serious. And that we should protect the vulnerable and old. You want what? The NFL and most businesses to continue the lockdown till it goes way?

The restrictions were put in place to flatten the curve, and so that hospitals were not overwhelmed. Both objectives have long been reached. Stop moving the goal post. The field remains 100 yards and the time 60 minutes that you like it or not. Of course the virus will continue to affect us, kill people, it might be there for years in fact. Holing up and stopping life is way worse for the overall society. We can't just look at the virus spread like if we were in a controlled lab. Many many complex factors come in play outside the virus with all the restrictions and lockdowns  - including many deaths for other untreated and undetected diseases as people can't go or avoid hospitals.

You say I go off tangent yet you address zero of my points. Most, if not all, of the Clemson will suffer zero effect, and because they play football, they were tested and thus can be quarantined. You can argue most got it because they were close together, true. But again, they were tested and can do the right steps. And IF it gives them immunity from now on, it's GREAT news for society, not a bad one! You guys are so dramatic. Yes, let's lock all of us till it the bad virus pass us by... in 2 years or so. You realize it's a global phenomena? We can't avoid it. We have to adapt, not stop living.

3 hours ago, eball said:

Sure they do.  Promoting science.  Unfortunately, science doesn’t fit with what many people want to hear.

You realize scientists have different view points on this? Maybe you just look for ones that cater to your views, but there is not a consensus here. Many shades of grey.

20 hours ago, Buffalo619 said:

A player death from corona will be the end of this season and possibly the NFL. They need to be cautious until season starts at least. The liability is just too big of a risk. 

Yes they need to be cautious. But we can count the deaths of healthy young adults WORLDWIDE one by one. Some might get real sick but the chances of death are super slim. Especially considering there is so few players. 

Edited by Jerome007

1 hour ago, BUFFALOBART said:

I do not like Cuomo.

I voted for a different candidate in all three of his campaigns for NYS Governor.

That being said, he has shown real leadership during this crisis, and his judgements as how to proceed, were spot on.

Those who choose to play politics with this pandemic, do so at their own peril. The citizens are mere pawns.

My exact thoughts on Cuomo. Never voted for him, despise most of his politics, thinks he only cares about the city. Even with all my previous hatred for the man, I always try to have an open mind. He has won me over during the past few months. Likely enough to have my vote in the next election. For my money, New York is the current beacon of light out of all the states. When it comes to Covid, I don’t see many states that are decently populated and are in a better position than NY. That’s not just blind luck. If we lived in Florida or Texas right now we might be staring at a mountain of new cases the likes of which NY hasn’t seen since the beginning. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

On 6/20/2020 at 3:45 PM, LeviF91 said:

Centralized power and strong borders? Like, NZ is a couple islands and South Korea has one border with a country they’re technically at war with. Not to mention the differences between East Asian societies and their view of government vs. western ideals. 

Meanwhile Germany is spiking in cases, not huge spikes but not surprising given they’ve been at least semi open since May. 

And of course, their combined populations are less than half that of the USA. 

Levi, I won't go into it here, but I think you might need to familiarize yourself with the differences between a parliamentary democracy and a federalist republic like the US.

Hint: describing the former as "centralized power" is not quite accurate. 

Being an island undoubtedly helps New Zealand a lot, but only because they've been pretty much willing to "fall on their sword" tourist-economy-wise. 

Yes, Germany is spiking slightly - to about 500 daily cases being diagnosed.  The US is running at 20,000 new cases per day - or roughly 10x as many new cases on a population adjusted bases, since with 84 million people Germany has approximately 1/4 the population of the US.

34 minutes ago, PetermansRedemption said:

My exact thoughts on Cuomo. Never voted for him, despise most of his politics, thinks he only cares about the city. Even with all my previous hatred for the man, I always try to have an open mind. He has won me over during the past few months. Likely enough to have my vote in the next election. For my money, New York is the current beacon of light out of all the states. When it comes to Covid, I don’t see many states that are decently populated and are in a better position than NY. That’s not just blind luck. If we lived in Florida or Texas right now we might be staring at a mountain of new cases the likes of which NY hasn’t seen since the beginning. 

Like or dislike Cuomo, one thing I deeply envy is the NY Forward dashboards at https://forward.ny.gov/percentage-positive-results-region-dashboard

I don't understand why this information isn't available for all 50 states.  You go there, you can see at a glance how many people were tested, how many were positive, and what % of the test results are positive.

It can easily confirm or deny any claims that we're seeing more positive results because of more testing.  Then it can be further separated out by region.

NYS is clearly doing more testing, and seeing fewer positive results.

There are sites which show the number of positive results each day - but not necessarily the number of tests.

• Like (+1) 2