2 Tampa Bay Bucs test positive for Covid-19

7 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Ironically, having one's family might make it a lot easier for the players to limit socializing and stay within a limited group vs. being separated from families and restless/bored.

I don’t think so. Because it’s another 4 people you have to track and test.

On 6/26/2020 at 10:55 AM, FireChans said:

Nah, it’s the kids in the south that don’t care. There’s a reason the average age has plummeted.

There are plenty of older adults in those bars.

One reason the average age has plummeted is testing availability.  In March, even sick people with relevant symptoms couldn't obtain a test.  In April, the symptoms were still being triaged (I know someone who couldn't get a test because "you don't have a cough" - despite the fact that ~40% of covid patients don't have a cough).  It wasn't until mid-May to mid-June (depending upon location) that testing became more broadly available and asymptomatic younger people were being tested.

There's some shift to a younger demographic but it's not as dramatic as some would have one think

image.thumb.png.c553c30203b3006a3095ffff02772712.png

PS this may be easier to see.  Data are from CDC's Covidview site.
image.thumb.png.e9c2542c57da8c3c1223b92cbb5447e7.png

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

There are plenty of older adults in those bars.

One reason the average age has plummeted is testing availability.  In March, even sick people with relevant symptoms couldn't obtain a test.  In April, the symptoms were still being triaged (I know someone who couldn't get a test because "you don't have a cough" - despite the fact that ~40% of covid patients don't have a cough).  It wasn't until mid-May to mid-June (depending upon location) that testing became more broadly available and asymptomatic younger people were being tested.

There's some shift to a younger demographic but it's not as dramatic as some would have one think

image.thumb.png.c553c30203b3006a3095ffff02772712.png

Not a lot of 65 year olds at bars, proportionally.

You are exactly right that the testing criteria has changed. I remember fever being the number one, and then any URI symptoms or COVID contact/travel got you a test. The number of asymptomatic people testing positive can only be a good thing, as it proves this virus is nowhere near as deadly as we thought 3 months ago.

I can only speak to folks I know personally, but the younger folks are the ones who are more out and about and the older folks are generally taking social distancing more seriously. 

That graph that you link is interesting. Mostly because you would expect those numbers to add up to 100 in June, right? How can that fraction of total positive tests only equal about 50% of people from 0-65+. Where is the other 50%?

Either way, 80% less of the positive tests coming from the 65+ Demographic means their curve has been dramatically flattened and good thing, as they are the most vulnerable.

Edited by FireChans

9 minutes ago, FireChans said:

I can only speak to folks I know personally, but the younger folks are the ones who are more out and about and the older folks are generally taking social distancing more seriously. 

Depends on what you mean by older folks.   We can see an uptake (second graph) in confirmed cases in several different age groups, but whereas the 50-64 and >65 age groups had declined, the 18-49 age group has been relatively constant.

I added a second graph that's easier to see, but the only demographic with actual increased numbers of confirmed cases is 5-17, and I don't think that's a bar demographic.

Unsure about the rationale for your apparent focus on bars.  18-49 is also the demographic most likely to work at a job that can not be done remotely, and to need to keep working.

That graph that you link is interesting. Mostly because you would expect those numbers to add up to 100 in June, right? How can that fraction of total positive tests only equal about 50% of people from 0-65+. Where is the other 50%?

It's % of positive tests for that age group.  So no, you don't expect it to add up to 100% unless you have a corresponding graph of fraction of negative tests in that age group.

I'm hopefully gonna be posting a bunch of this stuff in the OTW covid threads so encourage you, if you want to discuss further, link to this post and continue in the covid discussion thread.  Thanks.

11 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Depends on what you mean by older folks.   We can see an uptake (second graph) in confirmed cases in several different age groups, but whereas the 50-64 and >65 age groups had declined, the 18-49 age group has been relatively constant.

I added a second graph that's easier to see, but the only demographic with actual increased numbers of confirmed cases is 5-17, and I don't think that's a bar demographic.

Unsure about the rationale for your apparent focus on bars.  18-49 is also the demographic most likely to work at a job that can not be done remotely, and to need to keep working.

It's % of positive tests for that age group.  So no, you don't expect it to add up to 100% unless you have a corresponding graph of fraction of negative tests in that age group.

I'm hopefully gonna be posting a bunch of this stuff in the OTW covid threads so encourage you, if you want to discuss further, link to this post and continue in the covid discussion thread.  Thanks.

I don't really know for sure, but I would suspect that is not the case any longer. These charts only goes through early June, and do not have as much of the spike as there has been as of late. I would think that the 18-45 age group has likely have  increased in the amount of people showing up positive.

3 hours ago, Watkins101 said:

I don't really know for sure, but I would suspect that is not the case any longer. These charts only goes through early June, and do not have as much of the spike as there has been as of late. I would think that the 18-45 age group has likely have  increased in the amount of people showing up positive.

You could very well be right.  Unfortunately it's hard to tell.  For example the Az covid dashboard shows demographics, but not any data about demographics over time that I can tell.

I will say this: said dashboard shows hospitalizations and ICU bed occupancy are increasing rapidly, so for those who believe covid-19 just not a problem in the 18-45 age group, either that ain't true, or the young fry are making a bunch of older folks sick who are filling the beds.  See you on OTW to discuss.