Dog is deathly afraid of thunder, desperate for solutions

Just now, Johnny Hammersticks said:

I experience a thunder/snow storm once as a kid while ice fishing with my dad up in Thunder Bay, Ontario.  It was unreal...

We see it at least once a winter with lake effect snow off Lake Erie.  Being slightly northwest of the traditional snow dump, I don't know if east and south of Buffalo experience it more.

3 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

Play a looping soundtrack of a thunderstorm from Youtube.

When the dog freaks out, give him a dog biscuit or treat he likes, and hug him.

Condition his brain to equate the sound of thunder with good things, not bad things.

I know you've said you've tried aspects of this, but I'm not sure what else you would do.

Show him nothing bad happens when it thunders.

Don’t get me wrong, I don’t claim to be a dog whisperer, but I’ve had many over the years. This sounds a little like rewarding the behavior you are trying to eliminate? Maybe, if possible, provide treats as long as the dog stays calm in anticipation of thunder. This may be totally impossible, but definitely provide the physical comforting. Maybe try playing tug or something to distract before the worst weather sets in? Nothing will be an immediate fix, but any incremental improvement is helpful. 

I don’t claim to have all the answers. The Golden we had before our current Gracie had issues. We foolishly made an emotional purchase from a backyard breeder. She was a submissive pee-er (yeah, I’m making up words) and had thyroid issues. Needed a pill every morning for the thyroid. Super sweet dog, but the wetting got old fast, often as people would try to greet her in my car. I’d yell “WAIT! Stop! Don’t pet her!” They would say “it’s OK, I love dogs”. Gee thanks for the puddle in my backseat. Why can’t you %^^$ing listen? Don’t just pet strange dogs without asking, and DEFINITELY stop if someone is yelling NO! You just might lose some flash! We tried everything, never got it completely resolved but learned to be proactive to avoid mistakes better. What do I know? She was awesome other than that one messy problem. 

I’m on my 6th Golden, and only one got nervous with thunder. It wasn’t too severe, but I had two at the time and she seemed to take some comfort in being near her best buddy during those times. My current Golden we went out of state to a great breeder in an attempt to avoid more “issues”.  He was proud to show me how none of them even flinched at a LOUD gas leaf blower. 

Best of luck in dealing with this. We all hate to see “man’s best friend” in a quacking panic. I wish I had some solid advice for you. 

• Like (+1) 2

17 hours ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

We see it at least once a winter with lake effect snow off Lake Erie.  Being slightly northwest of the traditional snow dump, I don't know if east and south of Buffalo experience it more.

The Buffalo area will occasionally get a thunder snow. I am seldom here in the winter (last 10 years or so), but I only recall it a handful of times in my life.  Maybe it happens more now?

On 6/20/2020 at 1:56 PM, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Yes, JH is a bit of a pot head ?

Last spring we “rescued” an older dog who was horribly abused/neglected.  Was brought up here from a kill shelter in SC.  She wouldn’t even make eye contact with me for the first few weeks after we brought her home (was abused by adult male).  She has horrible anxiety.  

Anyway, I make a THC oil that works really well for her.  I put about 1/4 teaspoon in half a can of tuna fish.  It’s amazing how much it helps her.  She’s not just “stoned.”  She appears more comfortable, is more social, and loves to eat tortilla chips ?

I give it to her if we’re having friends over or if there’s going to be thunder/fireworks.

Thanks for this, I may try it.

We have the thundershirt and that has not helped very much...sigh...

Thanks for all the suggestions, I'm thinking the THC oil may be the next alternative.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Ned Flanders said:

Thanks for this, I may try it.

We have the thundershirt and that has not helped very much...sigh...

Thanks for all the suggestions, I'm thinking the THC oil may be the next alternative.

From the sounds of things, this might be a really good option for your dog.  A very low dose might do the trick, and won’t turn your dog into a drooling zombie.  You can experiment with dosage.  Like I said, we started with 1/4 teaspoon and that worked well so we stayed with that.

If you have access to purchase an oil or tincture, awesome.  If not, I can help you make some out of cannabis flower.  It’s actually not all that complicated to make the oil.  PM me if you need a point in the right direction ?

• Thank you (+1) 1