Report: MLB considering shutting down ALL spring training sites

5 minutes ago, DBilz2500 said:

The NFL will plow through. An insane amount of money that they can’t afford to lose..

IMO, the key will be to delay any rash  decision. They can't be bullied into doing something too soon, and having the thing go sideways. (Was going to say "breasts-up. but figured it would get censored. Let's see.)

So far I think they've been smart at delaying every decision as long as they can. A false start is hard to recover from, IMO.

EDIT Breasts-up! ? Now that's a funny edit.

Edited by The Dean
  • Like (+1) 1

I saw this, not a death nail, but the writing is on the wall. In order for the NFL to play, they will have to take an open position on players getting infected. That is to say, they will do everything possible to prevent it, but the language they use and approach they take has to be in acceptance that some if not all teams will deal with it. 

Since the rest of the business world is dealing with similar issues, perhaps not as challenging, but in some sectors, perhaps even more so, I think the NFL will let it ride. If somebody dies, which is possible, if not probable, even at a low fatality rate,  lord knows what happens, but again, is this much different than the challenges many Americans face returning to work? Countless employees across the country are working for peanuts and no more protected than the players would be.  

It’s going to get interesting. 

Edited by KzooMike
  • Like (+1) 1

Just now, major said:

With 23 Clemson players & 13 Texas players testing positive, I think we have our answer: no football this year in college or pro. Let’s hope 30 for 30 has some great documentaries lined up?

Far, far, far from it...

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, major said:

With 23 Clemson players & 13 Texas players testing positive, I think we have our answer: no football this year in college or pro. Let’s hope 30 for 30 has some great documentaries lined up?

Not going to shut down a 15 billion dollar industry for [covid-19] virus. Just not gonna happen. They’ll handle positive cases and move on. 

Edited by Hapless Bills Fan
misinformation about virus
  • Haha (+1) 2

22 minutes ago, I am the egg man said:

MLB has grown stale. 

MLB has been surpassed by the NFL, NBA, NCAA FB & BB and golf, they don't realize they're boring.

I cant take someone seriously when they say baseball is more boring than golf. Dont get me wrong, some of the big tourneys are cool. But other than that, no thanks. I doubt golf is ever going to take over baseball in revenue. Literally, PGA is not in the same stratosphere as the other leagues you mentioned there.

49 minutes ago, I am the egg man said:

MLB has grown stale. 

MLB has been surpassed by the NFL, NBA, NCAA FB & BB and golf, they don't realize they're boring.

Not sure how this is relevant to the conversation. The reason they might shut down has nothing to do with their excitement level.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

49 minutes ago, The Dean said:

Not sure how this is relevant to the conversation. The reason they might shut down has nothing to do with their excitement level.

I saw reports today today that the Lightning (NHL) and Phillies (MLB) had Covid cases related to their training camps.

I look at this as  bad news for the NHL and MLB but potentially good news for the NFL. The NHL is trying the salvage an in-progress season. (Ignoring the ownership/union posturing/negotiation) MLB is trying to salvage a season that hasn't started.

The NFL can watch it all unfold and make a more informed decision. 

Whoever said a possible delay of training camp, and season is probably right.  I was just watching last night the COVID cases has risen in Florida commensurate with the opening of the restrictions, and the crazy thing is the positive cases has risen with younger persons. The mean age for positive cases here is down to 37.  I know from my gym, younger people are just not taking distancing seriously.  In my opinion, it’s a false sense of being indestructible.

Anyway, if the states don’t maintain some kind of restrictions, this pain in the ars virus is just going to linger.  I hate the quarantine as much as others, but I’m more sick of this just not going away for a very long time.  So maybe string camp in August or even September and not starting the season may help.  Otherwise if they just push through, there will be a lot of people quarantined.  The positive side is they seem to be treating better as they are learning what works and what does not.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, MJS said:

Far, far, far from it...

Pure guesswork. Either way.

As with most predictions of the future in near infinitely complicated systems, it could go either way.

It's boring but the right response ... we'll see.

3 hours ago, DBilz2500 said:

Not going to shut down a 15 billion dollar industry for a flu virus. Just not gonna happen. They’ll handle positive cases and move on. 

They might. Losses so far due to the lockdown are far far in excess of 15 billion. Benefits are tens of thousands of lives saved. 

Again, they might. Or not. There is an absolute ton of evidence for your position. And just as much suggests the opposite.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, DBilz2500 said:

Not going to shut down a 15 billion dollar industry for a flu virus. Just not gonna happen. They’ll handle positive cases and move on. 

I don't know why people keep putting their head in the sand?  Its not positive cases, like a sprained ankle where a given player is out.  Its how many others that person infects and will take with him.  A team could lose most of its OL from one week to the next... or more.  And staff, coaches, trainers.  How do you play that way?  Anyone still thinking that this is just a flu virus needs to change all the channels they watch, listen to and read online

In all the cases above its not a single player, but several.  What if this is week 5 of the season, the Bills are 5-0 and they're about to play the Chiefs on Thursday night?  Fifteen players test positive.  What then?

Edited by cage
  • Like (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 3

6 hours ago, major said:

And yet no reports that even one of them is seriously ill, and none likely to be, given their ages.  Why is this even a story?  We have lost our damn minds.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, machine gun kelly said:

I know from my gym, younger people are just not taking distancing seriously.  In my opinion, it’s a false sense of being indestructible.

And this is why I stopped going to mine. 

I feel weird enough hosting trivia wearing a mask once a week, but a gym full of sweaty heavy-breathing people sounds like a disaster.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, KzooMike said:

I saw this, not a death nail, but the writing is on the wall. In order for the NFL to play, they will have to take an open position on players getting infected. That is to say, they will do everything possible to prevent it, but the language they use and approach they take has to be in acceptance that some if not all teams will deal with it. 

Since the rest of the business world is dealing with similar issues, perhaps not as challenging, but in some sectors, perhaps even more so, I think the NFL will let it ride. If somebody dies, which is possible, if not probable, even at a low fatality rate,  lord knows what happens, but again, is this much different than the challenges many Americans face returning to work? Countless employees across the country are working for peanuts and no more protected than the players would be.  

It’s going to get interesting. 

Its most likely deaths would occur among the coaching staff or other support personnel rather than the players.  Fatalities from COVID are skewed towards old patients.  My county has report 439 deaths and 97% have been in people over 50.  52% over 80 years of age.  And of the 3% under 50 most had other health issues.  This is consistent with state-wide data.  I haven't analyzed national or international data but my guess is that's consistent too.

These young athletes represent one of the most unlikely groups to catch a fatal case of COVID.  At most, the majority that test positive might get the same physical impact of a cold or mild flu.  Some that test positive may be asymptomatic and not even aware they're infected if not for being tested.  Being infected might not even impact their abilities and performance.  The issue is the potential to infect others that might be classified as high-risk.  Is there a possibility of a fatal case?  Yes, but the probability is very low.  

The fact lost by most people I speak with is the  risk of contracting infection is assumed to be evenly (researchers don't know this) distributed across the population but the risk of impact (impact being how sick you might get) from the virus is not evenly distributed across the population.   College and professional football players are a very low impact risk group when it comes to severity of illness and deaths.   

By September we'll see home COVID tests similar to the home pregnancy test.  You spit on a stick and wait a couple minutes for the result .  Positive or negative.  Along with more effective treatments that will dramatically cut the duration of the infection and bring the fatality rate down significantly.   A vaccine, that's a long-shot even by this time next year if ever.  I say all this as someone that works with health care analytics and data which includes a large amount of information and data on COVID and having done 100's of hours of extensive research on testing, treatment, and vaccine work done by public and private researchers. 

Edited by All_Pro_Bills
  • Thank you (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Seasons1992 said:

And this is why I stopped going to mine. 

I feel weird enough hosting trivia wearing a mask once a week, but a gym full of sweaty heavy-breathing people sounds like a disaster.

I know Seasons and have a number of friends who have boycotted it.  I need it as a release, but I wear gloves, no mask as my glasses fog up, and clean everything probably more thoroughly than 90% of people.  I also avoid people like the plague.  It’s crazy as I was out with an old friend for sushi last night (beautiful), and I told her I couldn’t hug her.  I just can’t take that chance.  It sucks, but the world we live in for now.

As far as football, I’m hopeful we have some type of season.

5 hours ago, The Dean said:

The anti baseball crowd has been at this for 40+ years and they're batting 0-40+.