What are the expectations of Mario Addison?

6 hours ago, Buffalo Boy said:

“The Addison deal is guaranteed at $15 million compared to the $21 million guaranteed Lawson received.“

From Syracuse paper. I remember hearing this at the time. It’s always about guaranteed money. The rest is just bragging rights for the player ( except earn able bonuses, I suppose)

And neither will be cut after one year, and neither has 3rd year guarantees so that bit, while different is more academic than anything 

• Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, BornAgainBillsFan said:

Actually, the full value of Mario's FA contract (3 years, 30.045 mil) was a fraction higher than Shaq's (3 years, 30 mil).

The Bills DL is going to be an 8 man rotation: Addison, Hughes, Jefferson and Epenesa at DE/Edge, Lotulelei, Oliver, Butler and Phillips at DT. All are roughly 7 or 8 out 10 right now, so they'll get roughly even playing time (25-35 minutes per game).

So if Mario does his part in making his share of plays, that'll work for me.

That is correct it was a trade off money goes.....it told me that Beane was skeptical that Shaq was going to keep up that production after his money year.......Addison does his thing consistantly year after year

7 hours ago, Happy said:

Isn't he supposed to rotate with Hughes?  If so, not sure how Addison will be a backup, though we can hope he sees only a small amount of snaps.  One thing for sure is that Beane has made the DE position one of need, multiple times, next year with Addison, Hughes, and Murphy all probably gone.

No I think he is supposed to start opposite Hughes. By the end of the season I suspect Hughes and Epenesa are the starters. 

5 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

I’ve gotten flamed for saying he fell off quite a bit last season despite his sack numbers.

Only by people who don't like truth. He got there less. The numbers prove it. That he still made hay when he got there is testament to him but I suspect that is not sustainable.

Edited by GunnerBill

4 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

I’ve gotten flamed for saying he fell off quite a bit last season despite his sack numbers.

Apparently he is getting $13M guaranteed....at the age of 32.  This guy better pan out or it will be another multi year swing and miss for McD and Beane.  No ex Panther left behind...

1 hour ago, ScottLaw said:

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

Only by people who don't like truth. He got there less. The numbers prove it. That he still made hay when he got there is testament to him but I suspect that is not sustainable.

If you were to take his sacks/snap (9.5/729) in 2019 and multiply it by his snaps in 2018 (666) or 2017 (650), he'd be around 8.5 sacks.  I'll take it.  Heck, I'd take 8 sacks, if you factor-in he's a year older.

13 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

3-4 sacks. His rush win %, his QB pressures and his tackles for loss were all down in 2019. He got there less but was remarkably effective at turning it into hits and sacks when he did. That feels unsustainable. If he only gets there as often as he did last year I expect a significant drop off in production. 

3-4 sacks and a backup by the season's end is my prediction. 

So why did they sign him?

He is not getting paid chump change... an error from Beane?

Edited by Aussie Joe

5 hours ago, Doc said:

If you were to take his sacks/snap (9.5/729) in 2019 and multiply it by his snaps in 2018 (666) or 2017 (650), he'd be around 8.5 sacks.  I'll take it.  Heck, I'd take 8 sacks, if you factor-in he's a year older.

That is my point. His sacks stayed right where they were. But it was a result of a remarkable level of production on the snaps he won. He won fewer snaps though and I am just not sure you can expect that conversion rate to remain constant. Hope I am wrong on that. 

5 hours ago, Aussie Joe said:

So why did they sign him?

He is not getting paid chump change... an error from Beane?

He knows the defense and is a pro's pro. In a shortened camp and pre-season that counts for something. I didn't love the signing though. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

That is my point. His sacks stayed right where they were. But it was a result of a remarkable level of production on the snaps he won. He won fewer snaps though and I am just not sure you can expect that conversion rate to remain constant. Hope I am wrong on that. 

He knows the defense and is a pro's pro. In a shortened camp and pre-season that counts for something. I didn't love the signing though. 

Arguably, so did Shaq Lawson.  Plus Lawson is five years younger and on an upward performance trajectory.  Beane and/or McD must not have wanted to give Lawson the extra $6M guaranteed money.  Addison over Lawson doesn't seem to make a lot of sense, at least not right now.  The cynic in me believes the Carolina pipeline is alive and well, plus the new d-line coach was from Carolina when McD was there.

• Like (+1) 1

Shaq Lawsons stats last year were: 6.5 sacks, 13 TFL & 18 QB hits, so let’s start there

I am the only one slightly frustrated that we signed Addison for the same contract Lawson got in Miami?

Without wanting to start a  new thread for this (this one seems the most relevant currently)...can someone please post some insight from the Eric Washington article on buffalonews (behind paywall).

The headline I saw was that the DL would 'take sacks to the next level in 2020'.

If anyone can shed light on his quotes that would be appreciated. I was intrigued as to what he had to say.

Thanks in advance.

7 minutes ago, NI Bills Fan said:

Without wanting to start a  new thread for this (this one seems the most relevant currently)...can someone please post some insight from the Eric Washington article on buffalonews (behind paywall).

The headline I saw was that the DL would 'take sacks to the next level in 2020'.

If anyone can shed light on his quotes that would be appreciated. I was intrigued as to what he had to say.

Thanks in advance.

sent u a pm :P

• Thank you (+1) 1

On 6/19/2020 at 7:28 PM, John from Riverside said:

Wanted to get everyones thoughts on this....he is not a spring chicken but has been very productive even recently.

Thoughts?

Im sad to see Shaq leave especially to a division rival , with that said I expect  M Addison to have more sacks this season then Jordan Phillips or Shaq Lawson ..

• Like (+1) 1