How does a sprinkler timer work and what is a good one to buy?

bbb

I have to do a bunch of sprinkling every day at certain times for certain lengths - just had a bunch of work done...............I thought I wonder if there are timers, and there appear to be.................Does anybody have any experience with how they work and what to buy?  

We have two, one for the front yard (1/3 acre) and one for the back yard (1/2 acre). Both are made by Hunter; they look like this:

Hunter Pro-C Controller

They are mounted in the garage and have wires going to a valve box (again, one for the front, one for the back). In each valve box is a manifold which distributes the water to 6 stations (3-4 sprinkler heads per station). The timer has multiple options to program it. The timers were never a problem. Our sprinkler heads are another story. We have manganese rich well water, and we have to clean them at least once a year. You have to do this on a warm summer day, because you will get wet.

13 minutes ago, DrW said:

We have two, one for the front yard (1/3 acre) and one for the back yard (1/2 acre). Both are made by Hunter; they look like this:

Hunter Pro-C Controller

They are mounted in the garage and have wires going to a valve box (again, one for the front, one for the back). In each valve box is a manifold which distributes the water to 6 stations (3-4 sprinkler heads per station). The timer has multiple options to program it. The timers were never a problem. Our sprinkler heads are another story. We have manganese rich well water, and we have to clean them at least once a year. You have to do this on a warm summer day, because you will get wet.

Thanks!   Do they make things that are lower tech?  I just need it until the new grass seed grows.  

Hose, sprinkler, timer on the microwave? 

We have new stuff too and I’ve been hand watering pretty much daily. We also have an irrigation system (limited by local restrictions), but getting established quickly is very important. 

Edited by Augie

1 minute ago, Augie said:

Hose, sprinkler, timer on the microwave? 

We have new stuff to and I’ve been hand watering pretty much daily. We also have an irrigation system, but getting established quickly is important. 

Meaning make sure to water a lot right after the seeding?  

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, bbb said:

Meaning make sure to water a lot right after the seeding?  

You want to be careful. If you water too much you can wash away the seeds. Not good! Keep it moist, not flooded. 

7 minutes ago, Augie said:

You want to be careful. If you water too much you can wash away the seeds. Not good! Keep it moist, not flooded. 

Yeah, I think I made the flooding mistake earlier today already!  

• Sad 1

35 minutes ago, bbb said:

Thanks!   Do they make things that are lower tech?  I just need it until the new grass seed grows.  

Something like this? You just put it in the line to the sprinkler.

Admittedly, I have no experience with this.

Orbit Irrigation LCD Single Port Hose Digital Hose Faucet Timer

7 minutes ago, DrW said:

Something like this? You just put it in the line to the sprinkler.

Admittedly, I have no experience with this.

This looks like about my speed - what I was thinking of.  

Do you have a brand name on that?  

On 6/19/2020 at 8:05 PM, DrW said:

You can get it at Walmart for $46.

On 6/19/2020 at 8:24 PM, Gray Beard said:

Got it in today, and it was just my level of tech that I was looking for.  Easy enough for a dope like me to program it.  Worked perfectly so far.  Thanks everyone!  

On 6/19/2020 at 7:43 PM, Augie said:

Do you have birds eating your seeds?  Everytime I look at either place that got reseeded, I see at least one bird!  

3 minutes ago, bbb said:

Got it in today, and it was just my level of tech that I was looking for.  Easy enough for a dope like me to program it.  Worked perfectly so far.  Thanks everyone!  

Do you have birds eating your seeds?  Everytime I look at either place that got reseeded, I see at least one bird!  

I don’t think the birds can eat enough to matter too much. Flushing seeds away with too much water is probably more damaging. We have some new landscaping and I hand water often. The head I use has about 10 settings, everything from jet to mist. Too much water just washes seeds away. 

Good luck! 

27 minutes ago, Augie said:

I don’t think the birds can eat enough to matter too much. Flushing seeds away with too much water is probably more damaging. We have some new landscaping and I hand water often. The head I use has about 10 settings, everything from jet to mist. Too much water just washes seeds away. 

Good luck! 

Thanks!  Same to you!