Jamal Adams Requesting A Trade

H2o

So on Adams I think what you really have to look at is Adams vs Milano.....because Adams would be playing a hybrid S/LB position for us......

I know Adams is a thumper but you really need LB's that can cover in this defense......and Mcbeane has biult a really good one WITHOUT destroying our cap.......a prize guy on offense could pop available and we could totally afford them.......

Our defense is elite

We need to score points

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Billl said:

That should be simple enough.  Just tell their front 7 to get a bunch more sacks.  Why stop at 6.5, though.  Tell them to get 20 more sacks and tell their other Defensive Backs to get a dozen more INTs.  Then you don’t have to pay anyone to play Adams’s position.  Just play 11 on 10.

LOL Bill.

I was responding to the poster that said the Jets defense would definitely take a step back without him. My point is, if they can generate more pass rush there is a good chance they will not take a step back as they'll have a coverage safety in coverage more often. Will they generate more pass rush? Maybe, maybe not. It's not like 6.5 more or close to it is unimaginable. Jets were in the bottom third of the league in sacks and QB pressure percentage. They have plenty of room to go up. It's not a case of asking a team that was top five in sacks to try to find 5 or 6 more. Just playing the odds game they are more likely to generate more sacks and a better QB pressure percentage next season with or without Adams.

NFC has some of the best run offenses in the league.

Cowboys play Zeke (EDIT Insert brain cramp here; left out Eagles), Saquan, and Guice 6 times.  

Seattle, 49ers, Packers, Saints.  Its definitely an area of the D they'll need.  

I still don't see the Cowboys giving up draft capital or any team doing so in a season that potentially could be upended by the Covid.  It wont but I think it might make teams leery about trading 1st or 2nd round picks.

Edited by Big Blitz

2 hours ago, Big Blitz said:

NFC has some of the best run offenses in the league.

Cowboys play Zeke, Saquan, and Guice 6 times.  

Seattle, 49ers, Packers, Saints.  Its definitely an area of the D they'll need.  

I still don't see the Cowboys giving up draft capital or any team doing so in a season that potentially could be upended by the Covid.  It wont but I think it might make teams leery about trading 1st or 2nd round picks.

Who’d they trade Zeke to?

I thought he was all in with them and was the rah rah guy that the team rallies behind? I think he's a pretty good player but probably not worth the money he's gonna end up demanding. 

Adam Gase, man. I know nothing has really been said about why Adams wants a trade but I'd be willing to bet granpappy's old nickel sock that he's not real keen on Gase. That guy is a tool of epic proportions. 

Either way... Good. I hate the GD Jets. They've surpassed the Pats in terms of my unbridled hatred and vengeance! You're going down, Spleen Darnold! Down like a sweet muffin!

Some thoughts on some of the ideas presented in this thread:

1) Adams is an excellent player. I coveted him when he was at LSU and was disappointed he fell to the Jets in the draft, not wanting him in our division. He makes a lot of splash plays, often near the line of scrimmage, and he's a guy that OCs need to gameplan for. He's a ferocious hitter and a big trash talker, two things I won't miss if he left the Jets.

2) All that being said, I do agree that his pass coverage is average at times and he can be overaggressive (just my opinion but I don't see him as a 1/11th guy who always plays his specific part on defense). I don't think the Adams vs Hyde comparisons or discussions are as laughably one-sided as some made it out to be. Adams is the unquestionably better athlete and stuffs the box score, but Hyde is arguably the more well-rounded, fundamentally sound player and comes with a lower price tag and all the leadership/intangibles you want on your team (filling a part of the leadership void left by Lorax and Kyle). Both players excel in the scheme-specific roles given to them and it would be interesting to see what would happen if the roles were reversed. Put another way, I would pick Adams every time for my Madden team, but if I was tasked with building a real team, Hyde seems like the better asset when looking at all aspects.

3) As JetsFan20 suggested, Adams and Perriman for Chris Godwin is a super interesting proposal to me. I agree that TB would be loath to part with any of Brady's weapons, but to be fair, there's only one football to go around and the TB offense is stacked. Plus Tampa's secondary has been stuck in one of the longest stretches of futility of any NFL position group I can think of and Adams would be able to make a big impact there, reuniting with Bowles who knew how to use him best. If Tampa is serious about any Super Bowl aspirations, they need that defense to take the next step and be able to slow down the likes of New Orleans/Atlanta etc. Also, Perriman had his career best season in Tampa and now gets a better QB than he had in 2019. On the flip side, the Jets would get Godwin on his rookie deal and give Darnold a true weapon in the passing game in this pivotal year. Seems like a win-win to me. 

4) Who replaces Adams in the Jets defense if he is in fact traded? Is Ashtyn Davis ready to start from Day 1? I got the impression that his draft stock was based more on potential and athleticism than production/football IQ at this point and that he needs some time to develop. They also seem like very different players; Davis seems like your classic centerfielding FS type. @JetsFan20, are there any other secondary players on the current roster or unsigned in the FA market you'd target to replace him? In the short term, I think the Jets defense would take a decent step back as Adams' role and skillset would be tough to replicate and that scheme/pass rush would miss his unpredictability and nose for the ball. 

5) As a Bills fan, definitely hoping Adams goes to the NFC. I've seen three AFC teams linked to him (KC, Baltimore, and Houston) and the Chiefs/Ravens are more than good enough without adding Adams. Those are the teams we are going to have to overcome if the Bills want to be genuine contenders in the next couple years.

Go Bills! 

• Like (+1) 2

10 minutes ago, FLFan said:

If only there was some way to see this actually play out with another team before hiring him I mean how could they have known 

The prevailing sentiment in Gang Green’s locker room is clear: Players don’t respect Gase, who has rubbed them the wrong way with his inability to lead and lack of support. The mercurial head coach also drew the ire of a litany of players during his tenure with the Miami Dolphins.

Too many people on 1 Jets Drive — including players, coaches and front office members — don’t trust or believe in Gase, whose disingenuous bent hasn’t been lost on people in the organization. They painted a picture of an insecure figure always willing to point the finger at others for the team’s failings last season. No player, or person, was immune. 

Gase’s dislike for long-time trainer John Mellody paved the way for the respected employee’s ouster (aka “reassignment”) last week, according to sources. 

Some team sources believe that Sam Darnold and David Fales are among the few returning players that actually tolerate Gase, a stinging indictment of a coach who has been associated with losing cultures for the better part of his football life.

• Haha (+1) 2

12 hours ago, Dont Stop Billeiving said:

Some thoughts on some of the ideas presented in this thread:

1) Adams is an excellent player. I coveted him when he was at LSU and was disappointed he fell to the Jets in the draft, not wanting him in our division. He makes a lot of splash plays, often near the line of scrimmage, and he's a guy that OCs need to gameplan for. He's a ferocious hitter and a big trash talker, two things I won't miss if he left the Jets.

2) All that being said, I do agree that his pass coverage is average at times and he can be overaggressive (just my opinion but I don't see him as a 1/11th guy who always plays his specific part on defense). I don't think the Adams vs Hyde comparisons or discussions are as laughably one-sided as some made it out to be. Adams is the unquestionably better athlete and stuffs the box score, but Hyde is arguably the more well-rounded, fundamentally sound player and comes with a lower price tag and all the leadership/intangibles you want on your team (filling a part of the leadership void left by Lorax and Kyle). Both players excel in the scheme-specific roles given to them and it would be interesting to see what would happen if the roles were reversed. Put another way, I would pick Adams every time for my Madden team, but if I was tasked with building a real team, Hyde seems like the better asset when looking at all aspects.

3) As JetsFan20 suggested, Adams and Perriman for Chris Godwin is a super interesting proposal to me. I agree that TB would be loath to part with any of Brady's weapons, but to be fair, there's only one football to go around and the TB offense is stacked. Plus Tampa's secondary has been stuck in one of the longest stretches of futility of any NFL position group I can think of and Adams would be able to make a big impact there, reuniting with Bowles who knew how to use him best. If Tampa is serious about any Super Bowl aspirations, they need that defense to take the next step and be able to slow down the likes of New Orleans/Atlanta etc. Also, Perriman had his career best season in Tampa and now gets a better QB than he had in 2019. On the flip side, the Jets would get Godwin on his rookie deal and give Darnold a true weapon in the passing game in this pivotal year. Seems like a win-win to me. 

4) Who replaces Adams in the Jets defense if he is in fact traded? Is Ashtyn Davis ready to start from Day 1? I got the impression that his draft stock was based more on potential and athleticism than production/football IQ at this point and that he needs some time to develop. They also seem like very different players; Davis seems like your classic centerfielding FS type. @JetsFan20, are there any other secondary players on the current roster or unsigned in the FA market you'd target to replace him? In the short term, I think the Jets defense would take a decent step back as Adams' role and skillset would be tough to replicate and that scheme/pass rush would miss his unpredictability and nose for the ball. 

5) As a Bills fan, definitely hoping Adams goes to the NFC. I've seen three AFC teams linked to him (KC, Baltimore, and Houston) and the Chiefs/Ravens are more than good enough without adding Adams. Those are the teams we are going to have to overcome if the Bills want to be genuine contenders in the next couple years.

Go Bills! 

I am 100 percent in agreement with you on Davis, but in the event Adams gets traded he likely gets thrusted into a starting role. Beyond him you are looking at practice squad/scrap heap types. 

Even without Adams last year when he missed a few games the Jets were exceptional against the run. If the Jets do one thing well as an organization it’s scout and develop large interior dlineman who can tie up blockers and free up guys like Adams to make a lot of plays in the backfield.

Im glad you agree on the Godwin/Adams trade. The sad part about it is the Jets could have drafted Godwin in the first place, but passed on him for Ardarius Stewart. 

• Like (+1) 1

42 minutes ago, JetsFan20 said:

I am 100 percent in agreement with you on Davis, but in the event Adams gets traded he likely gets thrusted into a starting role. Beyond him you are looking at practice squad/scrap heap types. 

Even without Adams last year when he missed a few games the Jets were exceptional against the run. If the Jets do one thing well as an organization it’s scout and develop large interior dlineman who can tie up blockers and free up guys like Adams to make a lot of plays in the backfield.

Im glad you agree on the Godwin/Adams trade. The sad part about it is the Jets could have drafted Godwin in the first place, but passed on him for Ardarius Stewart

Please!  The Bills could have have him instead of Zay Jones. 

25 minutes ago, JetsFan20 said:

Two organizations that have been allergic to offense. 

Not allergic (at least the Bills).  Just not very good at drafting WRs.

25 minutes ago, first_and_ten said:

Do you think Zay Jones will make the Wall some day?

That wall at ECU?  Maybe.

• Haha (+1) 1

On 6/23/2020 at 6:54 PM, blacklabel said:

I thought he was all in with them and was the rah rah guy that the team rallies behind? I think he's a pretty good player but probably not worth the money he's gonna end up demanding. 

Adam Gase, man. I know nothing has really been said about why Adams wants a trade but I'd be willing to bet granpappy's old nickel sock that he's not real keen on Gase. That guy is a tool of epic proportions. 

Either way... Good. I hate the GD Jets. They've surpassed the Pats in terms of my unbridled hatred and vengeance! You're going down, Spleen Darnold! Down like a sweet muffin!

Not sure why we need vengeance. We usually beat them.

But I'm on board for Jets hate. I'd be happy to see them and their fans suck for the rest of time. And then see their team moved from New Jersey to Iowa.