Do Bills fans have the same hatred for Jets as Dolphins and Pats?

5 hours ago, JetsFan20 said:

First of all thanks for the responses 

My main takeaway is that there have been very few really memorable Jets/Bills games over the years which is hard to fathom. 

I will say the 2015 week 17 game was among the worst regular season Jets losses I can remember.  That team had some talent would have been dangerous in the postseason. 

I do get the sense that Bills fans are pretty indifferent about that game, because they want to forget about the Rex era. 

One of the biggest mistakes in Bills history. Rex is such a buffoon and had no business being a head coach anymore.

Not to mention he just didn't fit the culture of the fans, the team, or the city of Buffalo. Luckily the Pegulas realized their rookie mistakes and cut ties with him sooner rather than later and then cut ties with the buffoons who convinced them to hire him (Whaley and Brandon).

3 minutes ago, MJS said:

One of the biggest mistakes in Bills history. Rex is such a buffoon and had no business being a head coach anymore.

Not to mention he just didn't fit the culture of the fans, the team, or the city of Buffalo. Luckily the Pegulas realized their rookie mistakes and cut ties with him sooner rather than later and then cut ties with the buffoons who convinced them to hire him (Whaley and Brandon).

Adam Gase is Rex 2.0 and will likely be fired after two seasons as well. You could make arguments that both Rex and Gase deserved a second shot, but it’s never a good look hiring a guy whom just got fired by your divisional rival. 

I will say that Rex is a far better coach than what he showed in Buffalo. I personally think he was worn out after six seasons in NY and should have taken a year off to re-group. 

Gase on the other hand just strikes me as a guy who makes the situation worse the second he walks into the building. I have nothing against the guy on a personal level, but he can’t get away from my team fast enough as far as I’m concerned.

I have a soft spot in my heart for the Jets as the AFL franchise that first won a championship over an NFL team in SB3. And for so many years they have been an amusing clown show on and off the field that is pretty hard to generate too much animus towards them. As for their fans, I can sympathize with their suffering and besides, Larry David is a fan so I can't really hate their fans either. 

15 hours ago, JetsFan20 said:

It goes beyond the field with the Jets/Pats rivalry. BB absolutely despises the Jets and proceeds to embarrass them any chance he gets. 

Keep in mind that Spygate was set off by the Jets and deflate gate by the Colts. I think those two are tops for them. 

I know these teams have issues off the field but as far as what happens on the field it isn't a rivalry. During the dynasty years the Pats viewed the division as three little speed bumps they drove over a combined six times a year. I mentioned this already but NE's top rivals during this time were the Colts, Ravens, Steelers, Broncos, Giants.

I've been a fan since opening day 1960 as a 4 year old kid.  My feelings about the Jets is:  meh.  Don't like them because they are a divisional rival but otherwise don't care much either way.  Can't stand the Patriots, but that is due to the Cheatriot era ((and some envy) of the Brady/Belicheat years.  But I suspect many of the folks from my generation will tell you they have a special hatred for the Fish, after having to live through the 70's, the smugness of Shula, and then the Marino years and Cox.

I still get charged up on Squish the Fish weekends.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

I've been a fan since opening day 1960 as a 4 year old kid.  My feelings about the Jets is:  meh.  Don't like them because they are a divisional rival but otherwise don't care much either way.  Can't stand the Patriots, but that is due to the Cheatriot era ((and some envy) of the Brady/Belicheat years.  But I suspect many of the folks from my generation will tell you they have a special hatred for the Fish, after having to live through the 70's, the smugness of Shula, and then the Marino years and Cox.

I still get charged up on Squish the Fish weekends.  

The 0 for 70's was painful. That is why I would say the 1980 season opening 17-7 over the Dolphins is the greatest regular season win in Bills history. What really made the Bills-Dolphins rivalry great was the Kelly-Marino years. Battling for the division and all the playoffs matchups made it one of the best rivalries in the NFL at the time.

I don't hate the Dolphins and Jets like I used to. The Kelly-Marino years were obviously the best but  the Bills need to become a consistent contender and rivalries get heated again. Then I could start up the hatred.

Edited by nucci

3 minutes ago, nucci said:

I don't hate the Dolphins and Jets like I used to. The Kelly-Marino years were obviously the best but  the Bills need to become a consistent contender and rivalries get heated again. Then I could start up the hatred.

If Allen and Darnold develop like both teams think they will then I could see the rivalry getting heated. Joe Douglas has to build a strong team around Darnold just like Beane has done for Allen with the Bills.

Just now, Greg S said:

If Allen and Darnold develop like both teams think they will then I could see the rivalry getting heated. Joe Douglas has to build a strong team around Darnold just like Beane has done for Allen with the Bills.

I concur. Hope to see it

17 hours ago, JetsFan20 said:

I actually view the Raiders as more of a hated rival for the Jets than the Bills. 

Its crazy, but despite being in the same division and both in the AFL there just isn’t much of a history between both teams. The only playoff meeting was in 1981.

Im old enough to remember OJ Simpson running a muck through the Jets, but given the Jets were a joke in the 70s I didn’t really care. Same deal with the Kelly/Levy era. It seems like when the Jets are up the Bills are down and vice versa with a lot of instances of both teams being bad sprinkled in.

Jets most hated rivals:

1) Dolphins

2) Pats

3) Raiders

4) Colts

5) Giants 

That’s actually a really strange group of hated rivals.  I didn’t think anyone hated the Colts— they are a pretty unobjectionable city and fan base and team.  And why the Raiders? Seems like the Jets/Raiders can’t play that often to become a rivalry.

I actually don’t mind the Jets. They were more hatable when Rex Ryan was there— but I’m sure people would say the same when Rex was here too. 

30 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Jets fans, generally speaking, are some of the biggest a-holes polluting the earth.

The only game I ever went to where I was worried about my safety in the 90's was a Sunday night game against the Jets. The fights started before the game and continued basically until the 4th quarter. I had been to dozens of games before that game and I had no idea how many cops were in the stadium 

• Like (+1) 1

The rivalry with the Phins has been on life support since the late 90s.  I had more hatred of the Jets after their brief resurgence under Rex Ryan brought a ton of trash eating, illiterate Jets fans out of the woodwork to show off their Revis jerseys the minute the Jests actually finished with a winning record.   The Jets have been my second most hated team since although its a distant second behind New England.  

• Like (+1) 1

I feel nothing at all for the Dolphins.  I grew up in the Kelly v Marino days, but that is dead and buried.  I see the Dolphins in the same light I see the Buccaneers, Jaguars, Titans, etc...  just another game.

Jets I dislike, but not entirely.  Mainly dislike them for being a NY team... and I loathe Fireman Ed.  But their fans are pretty thoroughly tortured and are typically of the Islanders/Jets/Mets vein that isnt front-running trash sports fans that you get with the Giants-Rangers-Yankees crowd

I loathe the Patriots, but that goes without saying.  I think I would hate them nearly the same if the Bills werent even in the same Division.

9 minutes ago, May Day 10 said:

I feel nothing at all for the Dolphins.  I grew up in the Kelly v Marino days, but that is dead and buried.  I see the Dolphins in the same light I see the Buccaneers, Jaguars, Titans, etc...  just another game.

Jets I dislike, but not entirely.  Mainly dislike them for being a NY team... and I loathe Fireman Ed.  But their fans are pretty thoroughly tortured and are typically of the Islanders/Jets/Mets vein that isnt front-running trash sports fans that you get with the Giants-Rangers-Yankees crowd

I loathe the Patriots, but that goes without saying.  I think I would hate them nearly the same if the Bills werent even in the same Division.

Rangers? I get the front-running with the Yankees and Giants with the success and championships. But the Rangers have been around 94 years and have only 4 Cups with only one Cup post expansion. Rangers really are a losing organization despite being a big market, original 6 team.

3 minutes ago, Greg S said:

Rangers? I get the front-running with the Yankees and Giants with the success and championships. But the Rangers have been around 94 years and have only 4 Cups with only one Cup post expansion. Rangers really are a losing organization despite being a big market, original 6 team.

They have a lot of fans who are humongous jersey-wearing fans when they are winning, mainly in the playoffs... but losing and they have no interest in hockey whatsoever and pretend they don't care (and in some cases I have seen them pretend they are fans of other teams who are competing for the Stanley Cup).   I went to college with tons of downstate people and saw so many examples of the 2 'breeds' of NY sports fans.