Fauci : Football may not happen

Greg S

2 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

I’d guess he is in decent shape.  I’d say he could gove Peterman a run.  Not a knock on Peterman. 

I doubt NFL cancels.  Most likely is a spring season like the NCAA is allegedly contemplating.  Which would also be the death of MLB IMo. 

MLB seems to be trying to kill itself

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

I’d guess he is in decent shape.  I’d say he could gove Peterman a run.  Not a knock on Peterman. 

I doubt NFL cancels.  Most likely is a spring season like the NCAA is allegedly contemplating.  Which would also be the death of MLB IMo. 

There would have to be chaos for the NFL to cancel. But I do think we are heading for fan-less games. I wonder if the Bills could play in their field house? Try out the dome experience?

• Like (+1) 1

55 minutes ago, Big Blitz said:

As people go back to work they are getting tested.

Holy cow lots of people have it.

This is a good thing.  The death rate is going to continue to plummet.

And the CDC will announce in mid August, "pandemic is over.  Just be safe.  Its like swine flu for the elderly."  

We shutdown the planet bc we were told it had a 4% IFR.  More cases.  Less deaths.  Quicker back to freaking normal.  

I doubt the CDC will do any such thing because fear keeps the masses in line.

The rest is spot on.  Raw # of cases climbing and death rate falling is the best case scenario....and that's what's happening.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, BillsfanAZ said:

I dont think we will ever know the true fatality rate. My wife does antibody testing and she said there are a lot more positive tests now than when they first started testing. Lots of people had it and never knew it. My wife had it and didnt know it. I never got it. 

That's part of what makes the true infection fatality rate so difficult to know - healthy living people who were infected, but didn't realize because no or minor symptoms.

[But your wife should bear in mind that serology - antibody tests - have a false positive and false negative rate.  A good test will be 2-4% false positive in practice.  So if the actual infection rate in a population is within 2x of the false positive rate, false positives become significant!  In a location with 25% positives, not so much of a problem.]

The other part is undercounting deaths.  The "seasonal fatality rate" which measures how the death rate predictably changes from month to month due to seasonal flu, heat waves, etc shows a gap where we see more deaths than expected this spring, and identified covid-19 deaths don't fill the gap.  A study comparing the official covid-19 death toll to the overall deaths and previous seasonal fatality rates in Italy concluded that covid-19 deaths were likely 1.5x higher than the official death toll. 

It's actually rather hard to find that data for the US right now, as some jurisdictions can take up to a year to report deaths to the CDC.   Here's a blog that does a pretty good job at explaining why certainly through mid-April, covid-19 deaths were likely underreported, probably by ~30%.  It has links to the CDC data.

"In March, Californians needed a state of emergency on COVID-19 because the virus was unfamiliar and our health system was unprepared. California is now prepared. It’s time to end the emergency, return the decisions to the people, and bring in more perspectives, more questions and more oversight.

After months of living with COVID-19, we have more certainty. The virus is 10 times less fatal than we first thought. The vast majority who catch it will have mild or no symptoms. Children are largely spared...

Infections will smolder along whether we reopen or not. The spread is a natural progression of the epidemic across California geographies. The virus does not land everywhere at once; it finds a susceptible group, moves from person to person within limited transmission networks often extinguishing itself on its own..."

https://calmatters.org/commentary/its-time-to-end-the-state-of-emergency-over-covid-19/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

Can Fauci refute this?  These experts say open.  Fauci wants everything cancelled unless you walk around in bubble wrap, with no stated goal.  Just fear mongering and panic inducing out of context "cases spike!" stories. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Big Blitz said:

As people go back to work they are getting tested.

Holy cow lots of people have it.

This is a good thing.  The death rate is going to continue to plummet.

And the CDC will announce in mid August, "pandemic is over.  Just be safe.  Its like swine flu for the elderly."  

We shutdown the planet bc we were told it had a 4% IFR.  More cases.  Less deaths.  Quicker back to freaking normal.  

Nope. Not happening. You realize it's not just the people who die but the people who end up in the ICU. They can really overwhelm the health care system. Then where do people with broken legs and heart attacks go?

But the simple act of wearing a mask reduces your chance of infecting someone by 80%. We could control much of the spread of Covid-19 if everyone wore make and washed their hands. But, you know...that ain't happening.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

6 minutes ago, KD in CA said:

I doubt the CDC will do any such thing because fear keeps the masses in line.

The rest is spot on.  Raw # of cases climbing and death rate falling is the best case scenario....and that's what's happening.

I haven't noticed "the masses" particularly "in line"

What are they in line for? 

Vegas? 

Pool parties? 

Protests? 

Bar-hopping? 

Marches?

Raw number of cases climbing, death rate and hospitalizations falling would indeed be a good scenario.

I don't think that's what's happening in some of our states right now but it'll either fall out that way, or it won't.

29 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

in other words, he can never be wrong, because the science changes. 

Wow - how you twisted what I wrote into that must have involved some serious mental gymnastics.

15 minutes ago, Big Blitz said:

"In March, Californians needed a state of emergency on COVID-19 because the virus was unfamiliar and our health system was unprepared. California is now prepared. It’s time to end the emergency, return the decisions to the people, and bring in more perspectives, more questions and more oversight.

After months of living with COVID-19, we have more certainty. The virus is 10 times less fatal than we first thought. The vast majority who catch it will have mild or no symptoms. Children are largely spared...

Infections will smolder along whether we reopen or not. The spread is a natural progression of the epidemic across California geographies. The virus does not land everywhere at once; it finds a susceptible group, moves from person to person within limited transmission networks often extinguishing itself on its own..."

https://calmatters.org/commentary/its-time-to-end-the-state-of-emergency-over-covid-19/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

Can Fauci refute this?  These experts say open.  Fauci wants everything cancelled unless you walk around in bubble wrap, with no stated goal.  Just fear mongering and panic inducing out of context "cases spike!" stories. 

I'm gonna say if you want to chat covid-19 completely unrelated to Football, hike on over to OTW discussion thread (or PPP as best suits you).   The totally unfounded statement "Fauci wants everything cancelled unless you walk around in bubble wrap with no stated goal" etc might be more suited to the latter - you may be asked to source and fact check statements in the OTW threads.  Thanks.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Penfield45 said:

Texas football team had 13 players test postiive after a few workouts 

there is not going to be college football this season, and NFL won't start on time either 

Meh, they’ll be fine...nothing to see here...?

41 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

in other words, he can never be wrong, because the science changes.  He was once saying that we should not shake hands, then saying one night stands were okay depending on individual risk.  The guy loves to be in the spotlight.  

He's such a spotlight lover we see him once every 25 years.

48 minutes ago, BringBackFergy said:

He was a hell of a basketball player. Look it up. 

12 minutes ago, JaCrispy said:

What was it- an under 6 foot league? ?

He said on Dan Patrick today he was a pretty good 5’7” PG who struggled against the good 6’3” PG’s.  Yeah, I bet! 

• Thank you (+1) 1