Fauci : Football may not happen

Greg S

10 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Keeping his job is political. He is a member of the Task Force, which is a political appointment.

Saying, or in this case, not saying something truthful in order to keep his position fulfills the definition of political expediency.

“Keeping his job” dude he’s been in NIAID since ‘84. Remember who was president then? And the guy is almost 80 years old. To even imply as you are that this guy is saying things to further his career is, frankly, so stupid I can’t even imagine what kind of right wing conspiracy indoctrination you’ve obliged yourself to.

has he been wrong? Yes. That’s been a function of the science in studying this thing. It’s called a novel virus for a reason chief.

• Like (+1) 7
  • Thank you (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, Rocky Landing said:

Fair enough. I would say that the fact that Fauci often changes, or amends his statements gives me more trust in him. He's a scientist, not a politician. When a politician changes their mind, it's called "flip-flopping." When a scientist changes their mind, it's called the scientific method.

Of course. The ability to admit when you were wrong is important. Unfortunately, be wrong a few times and the public will start to ask, when are you going to be right?

This guy has been so back and forth since the start, his statements are half the reason the general public went into panic. 
I don’t personally care what he says anymore, they’re going to try and play the season so his opinion means squat 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Isn’t that by definition untruthful? Wasn’t that your point?

I see the word untruthful here. Was that not what you just argued wasn’t the case?

I certainly don't see it that way. Fauci has never been responsible for government policy, and he's been very clear on that. The government held off promoting face masks because it knew shortages were so bad that even doctors couldn't get enough. In their assessment at the time, promoting facemarks would have made the situation worse. How is that dishonest?

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Isn’t that by definition untruthful? Wasn’t that your point?

I see the word untruthful here. Was that not what you just argued wasn’t the case?

When did he say the N95 masks didn't work? I mean have they been going on about needing more of them for health care workers the entire time for no reason? No they needed them for those at risk groups and because of that he didn't advocate people going out and buying them what they did eventually put out was that other masks while they couldn't protect you could slow the spread so people should do that.

• Like (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Fauci has proven he will remain silent when it is politically expedient to do so. Don’t believe a word this clown says without cross examination.

#CancelFauci

He's a scientist. Science doesn't give a $#!+ about politics. It's only certain politicians who keep trying to politicize science.

As far as someone else's accusation about Fauci "flip flopping" or "being wrong," science is about drawing the best conclusions that you can with the data that's available. Early on, there was little data about how COVID-19 spreads, so a lot of early conclusions were wrong. As more information came in, the models were adjusted and the conclusions were modified. That's how science works - it's a self-correcting system of progressive discovery. Changing one's mind in the face of evidence is better than doubling down on a flawed conclusion or "hoping" the problem will just go away.

• Like (+1) 6
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Of course. The ability to admit when you were wrong is important. Unfortunately, be wrong a few times and the public will start to ask, when are you going to be right?

I’m gonna guess he’s been right quite a bit since he’s kept his job for 36 years. Or maybe that’s just a result of “big guv’mint”

• Like (+1) 4

12 minutes ago, Rocky Landing said:

You're making my point for me. "Fauci said US government held off promoting face masks because it knew shortages were so bad that even doctors couldn't get enough," is not political in any way. It wasn't advancing any political agenda. It was a matter of managing a pandemic for which they weren't prepared.

Was it untruthful to promote “not wearing masks to the general public,” regardless of the benevolence of the reason?

I get your point of political expediency. But he was untruthful with the above. He was preeeeetty quiet about the massive protests and their health risk. I can really only find one quote out of him 10 days after they started. 

He may have his own reasons for saying what he says. I’m not sure anyone can argue that.

4 minutes ago, FireChans said:

I don't see it as a question of whether they're right, or wrong. Why should Fauci care what the public thinks? That would be political. As they learn more about the disease, they amend their assessments. That's the way it works. Fauci makes the best recommendation he can with the information he as at the time. As the information changes, his recommendations change. 

3 minutes ago, JoPoy88 said:

I’m gonna guess he’s been right quite a bit since he’s kept his job for 36 years. Or maybe that’s just a result of “big guv’mint”

Oh wow, he’s been a lifer in a government agency. Now you’ve convinced me he’s a good dude.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, FireChans said:

Was it untruthful to promote “not wearing masks to the general public,” regardless of the benevolence of the reason?

I get your point of political expediency. But he was untruthful with the above. He was preeeeetty quiet about the massive protests and their health risk. I can really only find one quote out of him 10 days after they started. 

He may have his own reasons for saying what he says. I’m not sure anyone can argue that.

You mean he's been quiet since Trump stopped putting him in front of a camera everyday? I mean yeah of course.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, FireChans said:

Riiiiight...see guys it’s not just what Dr. Fauci says (which is wrong, obviously) but it’s also what he doesn’t say...that’s the giveaway. I’m convinced.

• Haha (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

You mean he's been quiet since Trump stopped putting him in front of a camera everyday? I mean yeah of course.

Yeah, I think there are other ways to get a message out besides a presidential presser. Unless you don’t want to really get a message out.

1 minute ago, JoPoy88 said:

Riiiiight...see guys it’s not just what Dr. Fauci says (which is wrong, obviously) but it’s also what he doesn’t say...that’s the giveaway. I’m convinced.

That was the subject of my first post in the topic. This wouldn’t be a surprise if you followed along 

Edited by FireChans
  • Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, krf139 said:

Is anyone else really sick of this guy?  He misses being on tv every night.

No, I like well-qualified scientist advising and speaking on scientific topics. Not just going on how people feel about it.

4 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

And really, Trump marched him out to show that he had at least ONE scientist around even though he cut the entire Pandemic Response team. And then once Fauci spoke on his own and refused to be another Trump yes-man, trashed him on twitter and pushed him out of the spotlight. Classic Donnie.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Oh wow, he’s been a lifer in a government agency. Now you’ve convinced me he’s a good dude.

now that you’re saying things that are getting a little personal for me, ima bow out of this before i get modded, but before I do, your complete ignorance on this topic on display is astounding. I sincerely hope you’re just trolling, because if not, my god man.

• Like (+1) 8
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, FireChans said:

I'm willing to concede the "lie of omission." The guy can only do what he can do. He doesn't have the authority set policy. He can only make recommendations. But, I absolutely do not believe that any of those recommendations have been politically motivated.

• Like (+1) 2

51 minutes ago, Penfield45 said:

Texas football team had 13 players test postiive after a few workouts 

there is not going to be college football this season, and NFL won't start on time either 

with how easy this virus spreads, looks like Texas is well on its way to having its entire team immune within a couple of weeks

why is this a bad thing?

smart teams are doing the same thing

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1