Taming Josh Allen’s arm: How mechanical tweaks are setting the Bills QB up for an improved 3rd year

3 minutes ago, HOUSE said:

Josh Allen has to be the most tweeked QB in NFL history. Even my Grandmother has some little adjustments which are sure to help his game.

Not unexpected given his “project” status coming out of college. He was far from a finished product and was going to face a lot of “tweaking” early in his career. His intelligence and work ethic made that appear doable... it is interesting to watch. 

• Like (+1) 7

1 minute ago, FLFan said:

As always.  Eric does a great job.

That dude does a really, really nice job.

A little unrelated but I think Josh is going to end up being really good. I may eat those words at some point but I don’t think so. He’s going to end up one of the tops QBs in the league.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

That dude does a really, really nice job.

A little unrelated but I think Josh is going to end up being really good. I may eat those words at some point but I don’t think so. He’s going to end up one of the tops QBs in the league.

His ceiling is so high. He has many holy ***** moments.... good and bad. He has to curb the ones that make us say that for negative reasons,  but the flip side is special. He’s certainly a must-see player ... never boring. The best sign for me is that he appears dedicated to his craft and a very bright guy. This will help him achieve his potential. 

• Like (+1) 9
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Fantastic article.. 
I don’t worry about the completion % much even though it’s harped on like crazy by a select few on here. He doesn’t check down, which we’ve seen articles about now. Couple check downs a game and his completion % would go up a ton. He’s a raw kid who absolutely loves the big plays so I’ve accepted ignoring some dump offs. 
If there is one Improvment I want to see this season it would be dumping off to singletary in space more. Allen has MVP potential and I don’t see any reasons outside of injuries he can’t jump into the Lamar/Mahomes/Wilson category in the future. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

58 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

His ceiling is so high. He has many holy ***** moments.... good and bad. He has to curb the ones that make us say that for negative reasons,  but the flip side is special. He’s certainly a must-see player ... never boring. The best sign for me is that he appears dedicated to his craft and a very bright guy. This will help him achieve his potential. 

He checks a lot of the boxes.

It’s tough to change the fundamentals, but if you were going to write a storyline for a guy that could possibly, Josh would pretty much be the prototype for having a chance.

It’s good he’s working on his throwing mechanics. Josh’s front shoulder flies open.  It’s a tribute to his raw talent that he can throw the ball as hard and as far as he does, but it’s a lot different for somebody like Brady who only has to tweak something than somebody like Josh who basically needs to overhaul his throwing mechanics.  Josh is still gonna get by on his raw tools and toughness.  He’s probably always gonna struggle with throwing mechanics and thus accuracy.  His goal should be small mechanical improvements every year.  

Someone from this board probably linked it when I wasn't looking, but on Twitter Sal C. brought the statistical comparison of Matt Ryan and Josh Allen and they were remarkably similar in their year 2 comparison. Sal was careful NOT to say he thinks or projects Josh to be Matty Ice in year 3, but that the ascension from year 1 to 2 was eerily similar and the fact that Josh has consistency and a significant improvement in a WR going into his 3rd year plus what we all hope will be a much improved TE in Knox plus the added Z. Moss effect, I don't think it's beyond the realm of reasonable plausibility that Josh's 3rd year winds up looking a lot like Ryan's. 

Ryan's 3rd year was not outrageous in productivity, but the efficiency improvement was noticeable and really, that's Josh's best benchmark: improved efficiency. IMO additional areas that need improvement that would most likely benefit from improved efficiency would include completion %, TD-INT ratio (although his final 12 weeks was incredible), improved passing TD production, and with several hundred more passing yards. 

Regardless, thus far the last two off-seasons Josh has been devoted to improving mechanics and really putting the time into his craft of refinement. That tells me he isn't resting on being who he is in terms of development and he's not satisfied with where he's at regarding the position and honestly, in the early years - especially with someone like Josh - this is so crucial to his long-term success. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

Decent article.

Everybody knows Allen has a lot to on with footwork, not really a secret. He has had a wide base and inconsistent feet since college. You see that alot with QBs with big arms because they never needed great lower body mechanics to get the ball where they wanted it to go. It was pure talent

And Pat Mahomes honestly had worse footwork then Allen coming out, he just got a year on the bench to work on it while Allen was thrown to the fire

And I wouldn't even call it a dumpster fire anymore, he improved alot last season

When he's on his mechanics are sound, when he's off , so are his mechanics

Edited by Buffalo716

45 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

It’s tough to change the fundamentals, but if you were going to write a storyline for a guy that could possibly, Josh would pretty much be the prototype for having a chance.

Agree....and he already has been as evidenced by watching him last year. EVERY great NFL (or pro anything for that matter) will tell you that hard work is what separates the decwnt the great. Many talented NFL players not a ton of super hard workers.

• Like (+1) 1