What Trade Was Better?

What was the better trade of these 2 choices?  

278 members have voted

1. 1. Better Trade?

• Sheppard/Hughes Trade
    • Alonso/McCoy Trade

5 hours ago, njbuff said:

What exactly did they get for OJ?

I can't find that information for whatever reason.

First round pick in '79 which they used on Tom Cousineau. He was eventually traded for a first which turned into Jim Kelly

2nd round pick in '78 - Scott Hutchinson

3rd round pick in '78 - Danny Fulton

2nd round pick in '80 - Joe Cribbs

4th round pick in '79  - Ken Johnson

3 hours ago, Rico said:

Except for the revisionists who keep trying to say Whaley made it, they are still wrong.

Nope.  Whaley was the acting GM at the time.  Nix was in process of stepping down.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

McCoy was elite. He also had a couple of elite years here.

Hughes has never been elite. Solid player and a good contributor, but he isn't as good of a player as McCoy was.

So for that reason I'm going with the McCoy trade. Both are excellent trades, though.

16 hours ago, whatdrought said:

I think Shepherd and Hughes is better because we traded someone who was out of the league quickly for a long time above average player for us. 

That being said, the argument for the Alonso McCoy trade makes sense just because it was less about the luck of the draw. We obviously got someone who we saw something in with Hughes, but so much of that is the little unpredictable things that cause someone to turn their career around. It just as easily could have gone the other way with Shepherd becoming the stud and Hughes being nobody. 
With McCoy, there was no doubt we were getting an amazing player for a moderately good player. So that was a coup. 

Yeah, 106 NFL games for Sheppard is “out of the league quickly”?

4 hours ago, jwhit34 said:

First round pick in '79 which they used on Tom Cousineau. He was eventually traded for a first which turned into Jim Kelly

2nd round pick in '78 - Scott Hutchinson

3rd round pick in '78 - Danny Fulton

2nd round pick in '80 - Joe Cribbs

4th round pick in '79  - Ken Johnson

Thanks.

Good thing the Bills got that trade in before Bill Walsh took over.

2 hours ago, MJS said:

Hughes has never been elite. Solid player and a good contributor, but he isn't as good of a player as McCoy was.

So for that reason I'm going with the McCoy trade. Both are excellent trades, though.

I agree with everything you said, but Sheppard was a non-existent player in the NFL and Alonso has at least contributed in the NFL.

That's the Hughes trade is the winner in my book.

Jerry Hughes hands down! That was theft by the Bills! Jerry Hughes is one my my favourite Bills of all time. Love the way he plays, full blast at all times and with aggression, anger and phenomenal technique. The Person Foul Penalties a few years ago were a little too much but he has really calmed down on the penalties and has become a real threat on the Dline. have a feeling he will tear ti up this year.

• Like (+1) 1

On 6/18/2020 at 9:20 AM, Gugny said:

I think it's McCoy for Alonso.  Alonso sucked as a Bill and he has sucked in Miami.  Plus he's a dirty piece of *****.

I'll also add getting a 3rd round pick for Tyrod Taylor.  That was absolutely beautiful.

It's Hughes and it's not even close, but Alonso sucked as a Bill? What the hell were you watching? Stick to something else you don't know.

Just now, SteveFreeman22 said:

It's Hughes and it's not even close, but Alonso sucked as a Bill? What the hell were you watching? Stick to something else you don't know.

I watched a consistently over-pursuing and undisciplined football player who somehow stole the hearts of Bills fans.

And why are you so angry?  Do you need a hug?

The Jerry Hughes trade was a great example of excellent pro personnel evaluation by the Bills FO at the time. 

The Colts played Hughes out of position. 

Hasson Reddick in Arizona is the modern day "Colts era Jerry Hughes".  By the time the Cardinals figure out it's not bad having Reddick being an above average pass rusher, they will try to play him at every position on the defense because "scheme."  

• Like (+1) 1

Leseans peak with the Bills is by far much better. But Hughes belongs in the hall of very good in terms of longevity with us and productivity. 

I am going to go Hughes on this one, just because he's been an integral part of our defense for 2 playoff births, and still is heading to 2020. Shady was the best player on the team on either side of the ball. But resulted in one playoff run, and the offense has grown without him. 

Had we kept Shady last year, I would probably vote him. Cutting him was stupid. He very much still had a place on this roster. He might not have done much on a stacked KC roster, but he would have still been our bell cow last season instead of Gore. I would bet my mortgage we would have gotten more production. That whole thing was wild, keep pushing Gore, even though he was toast, use Motor but only in spurts. Cut Shady for now real reason other than not crowding the room. 

That is one of the head scratching moves this FO has made that I cannot wrap my head around. 

On 6/18/2020 at 9:30 AM, Greg S said:

I went with the Hughes trade for the purposes of this poll but the best Bills trade that I remember was the 3-way trade between the Bills-Colts-Rams where the Bills got Bennett. That was a real game changer.

Was going to say the same thing.

On 6/18/2020 at 9:06 AM, Halloween Land said:

Maybe the 2 best trades in franchise history, here they are:

Kelvin Sheppard for Jerry Hughes 

or 

Kiko Alonso for LeSean McCoy

Personally I think the McCoy trade was a little better because we was at the time the best running back in the league and he had some very productive years including helping break the playoff drought and he was pretty much the whole offense. But the Hughes trade has been great too, He also gets credit for breaking the playoff drought and he has been very productive and is still on the team. 

What are your guys thoughts? 

No.....

• Thank you (+1) 2

On 6/18/2020 at 11:06 PM, MJS said:

McCoy had one really good year for the Bills.  And he was an easily replaced RB.   Hughes has been our best pass rusher for seven years in a row, FFS.  He probably will be again in 2020.

On 6/18/2020 at 9:06 AM, Halloween Land said:

Maybe the 2 best trades in franchise history, here they are:

Kelvin Sheppard for Jerry Hughes 

or 

Kiko Alonso for LeSean McCoy

Personally I think the McCoy trade was a little better because we was at the time the best running back in the league and he had some very productive years including helping break the playoff drought and he was pretty much the whole offense. But the Hughes trade has been great too, He also gets credit for breaking the playoff drought and he has been very productive and is still on the team. 

What are your guys thoughts? 

The trade to get Cornelius Bennett wasn't bad either.

On 6/19/2020 at 4:34 AM, njbuff said:

Thanks.

Good thing the Bills got that trade in before Bill Walsh took over.

I agree with everything you said, but Sheppard was a non-existent player in the NFL and Alonso has at least contributed in the NFL.

That's the Hughes trade is the winner in my book.

Shepherd honestly only has 80 less solo tackles in his career than Kiko Alonso

Both have three sacks

Kiko has 10 ints compared to shepherds two or three tho

Shepherd wasn't out of the league in one year and he played longer than the average vet

Edited by Buffalo716