What Trade Was Better?

What was the better trade of these 2 choices?  

278 members have voted

1. 1. Better Trade?

• Sheppard/Hughes Trade
    • Alonso/McCoy Trade

36 minutes ago, jwhit34 said:

Of those 2 I picked the Hughes trade. 

I don't think anyone mentioned Cousineau for a 1st that turned into Jim Kelly.

The other trades way back that were brought up were really good too. 

If they would have kept him longer, the Rashad for Dennis Shaw trade would be way up there. 

The Frank Lewis for a broken down Paul Seymour is a very underrated deal.

Even though the 5 picks didn't pan out that great, getting that kind of haul for OJ was really good.

Loved the Bennett trade and it was the right move but not a lopsided deal. 

I wasn’t too sure on the Bennett trade until I saw him on the field, wow!

Both were good trades, but getting Jerry for Shep was a top notch. 

7 hours ago, FireChans said:

Sheppard was out of the league in a blink and Hughes is still contributing for us 7 years later. Alonso is still in the league and Shady fell off after 2 years and was cut after 3.

No brainer to pick the Hughes trade.

Shady had 3 good years and then fell off in year 4 and was cut.

But regardless, Hughes for 7 years makes that trade the clear winner.

• Like (+1) 1

Trade for Hughes is by far the best trade, its not even close really.  Talking about trading a scrub for a guy who became a really good DE and and a staple of our team.  

McCoy trade was for Alonzo, a guy who was already a pretty good player with tons of upside.  He went on to have a good (yet dirty lol) career in the league.  So this trade wasn't nearly as lopsided, and we also got a lot more value out of Hughes IMO than McCoy in terms of longevity, contract value, etc.  

8 hours ago, Rico said:

Paul Seymour for Frank Lewis was another good one.

Since Seymour failed his physical for the Steelers and was returned to the Bills, we got Frank Lewis for nothing.  And then Lewis went to the Pro Bowl a couple of years later.  How can anything top that?

Shady gave the Bills 3 good to very good seasons while Kiko went on to have a middling career as a mid-level starting caliber LB for Miami. Whereas Hughes has given the Bills a lot of highly productive seasons for the Bills (and is still a starting caliber DE) while Sheppard went onto have a fairly nothing career. 

9 hours ago, nucci said:

I think the trade for Bennett has to be up there

Before reading the two options given, that one came to mind. It solidified that defense for the run to 4 straight.

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Halloween Land said:

Maybe the 2 best trades in franchise history, here they are:

Kelvin Sheppard for Jerry Hughes 

or 

Kiko Alonso for LeSean McCoy

Personally I think the McCoy trade was a little better because we was at the time the best running back in the league and he had some very productive years including helping break the playoff drought and he was pretty much the whole offense. But the Hughes trade has been great too, He also gets credit for breaking the playoff drought and he has been very productive and is still on the team. 

What are your guys thoughts? 

I’ll go with recency bias alex and say stefon diggs for whatever. What is stefon diggs for lottery tickets.

Loved the McCoy for Alonso trade but it's far and away the Sheppard for Hughes trade.  Sheppard was a scrub while Hughes has been with the Bills for 7 years and has 46.5 sacks.

Edited by Doc

12 hours ago, whatdrought said:

I think Shepherd and Hughes is better because we traded someone who was out of the league quickly for a long time above average player for us. 

That being said, the argument for the Alonso McCoy trade makes sense just because it was less about the luck of the draw. We obviously got someone who we saw something in with Hughes, but so much of that is the little unpredictable things that cause someone to turn their career around. It just as easily could have gone the other way with Shepherd becoming the stud and Hughes being nobody. 
With McCoy, there was no doubt we were getting an amazing player for a moderately good player. So that was a coup. 

Shepherd actually played like six more seasons after the trade

At the time of each trade I thought the McCoy trade was out of this world while at the time I did not care about Hughes for Sheppard, but the difference in benefit to team is clearly Hughes. Best trade though is Buffalo sports history though is the one that brought Dominic to Buffalo Sabres.

Gotta be Hughes.  

As a measure of pure talent, Shady for Alonso was a steal.  Shady's a near-Hall-of-Famer and Alonso is just another backer.  So in talent differential, Shady's deal wins.   

But in terms of value to the team, the Hughes deal gave up very little and fixed the DE spot for a lot of years.  Heck, Jerry could have three more solid years in him.  He isn't going to the Hall of Fame, but he is a fixture on the line and one of the keys to McDermott's defense.  

Gotta go with Jerry, even though I love Shady.

14 hours ago, Halloween Land said:

Maybe the 2 best trades in franchise history, here they are:

Kelvin Sheppard for Jerry Hughes 

or 

Kiko Alonso for LeSean McCoy

Personally I think the McCoy trade was a little better because we was at the time the best running back in the league and he had some very productive years including helping break the playoff drought and he was pretty much the whole offense. But the Hughes trade has been great too, He also gets credit for breaking the playoff drought and he has been very productive and is still on the team. 

What are your guys thoughts? 

the best trade in team history was for Cornelius Bennett.