What Trade Was Better?

What was the better trade of these 2 choices?  

278 members have voted

1. 1. Better Trade?

• Sheppard/Hughes Trade
    • Alonso/McCoy Trade

I think Shepherd and Hughes is better because we traded someone who was out of the league quickly for a long time above average player for us. 

That being said, the argument for the Alonso McCoy trade makes sense just because it was less about the luck of the draw. We obviously got someone who we saw something in with Hughes, but so much of that is the little unpredictable things that cause someone to turn their career around. It just as easily could have gone the other way with Shepherd becoming the stud and Hughes being nobody. 
With McCoy, there was no doubt we were getting an amazing player for a moderately good player. So that was a coup. 

10 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

Ehh a 3rd for a starting NFL QB even Tyrod is pretty reasonable.  How did we get a 5th for Zay Jones?

A third for Tyrod Taylor?  That's like trading a 2012 Hyundai Accent for 2021 Ford Mustang and calling it even.

I picked Alonso and McCoy trade but Hughes shepard is probably equal. Both were excellent deals

A 3rd for Tyrod was amazing. The day before that trade I told someone if we got a 5th I'd be thrilled. The 1st pick in the 3rd round for a guy we would have cut? And they paid his bonus for 3 starts

49 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

I think Shepherd and Hughes is better because we traded someone who was out of the league quickly for a long time above average player for us. 

That being said, the argument for the Alonso McCoy trade makes sense just because it was less about the luck of the draw. We obviously got someone who we saw something in with Hughes, but so much of that is the little unpredictable things that cause someone to turn their career around. It just as easily could have gone the other way with Shepherd becoming the stud and Hughes being nobody. 
With McCoy, there was no doubt we were getting an amazing player for a moderately good player. So that was a coup. 

Sheppard was out of the league in a blink and Hughes is still contributing for us 7 years later. Alonso is still in the league and Shady fell off after 2 years and was cut after 3.

No brainer to pick the Hughes trade.

• Like (+1) 2

This is a tough one.  I remember back in the BBMB days, a large portion of that crowd wanted Hughes in 2nd round.  

Shady was the only consistent piece that made this team watchable for the majority of his time here.

Taking longevity into consideration, I favor the Hughes trade. 

• Like (+1) 1

Hughes trade and it's not close.  Hughes is still an elite (or near elite) player at a very high value position.  McCoy was overpaid and overrated at the lowest value position on the field.  He really only had two good seasons here.  Hughes on the other hand is still playing at a high level seven years after trade.

Edited by mannc
  • Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Gugny said:

Alonso had two good games and many Bills fans wanted him fitted for the gold jacket.  I never understood it.  McCoy was well worth his contract.  At the time, he was easily a top 5 back in the league; maybe even top 3.

He was a DROY candidate.  He set a pretty big expectation that first year.

Of those 2 I picked the Hughes trade. 

I don't think anyone mentioned Cousineau for a 1st that turned into Jim Kelly.

The other trades way back that were brought up were really good too. 

If they would have kept him longer, the Rashad for Dennis Shaw trade would be way up there. 

The Frank Lewis for a broken down Paul Seymour is a very underrated deal.

Even though the 5 picks didn't pan out that great, getting that kind of haul for OJ was really good.

Loved the Bennett trade and it was the right move but not a lopsided deal. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

I'm going Hughes simply because Sheppard was a nobody. 

Not to mention he has been consistent for a much longer time for the team Shady was a great addition & i will never take anything away form what he did while he was here but Hughes longevity and consistency has been much better !

I would think this should pretty much be a no brainer .

Edited by T master

Not completely on topic but I still think our craziest trade was getting Bennett after his draft. 

We already took Shane Conlan and traded to get someone’s number two pick that year. 

That is is something I don’t believe you will ever see done again with the rookie wage scale. 

But to come away from a draft with the two linebackers taken first, one of them being the second overall? 

Insanity. 

Edited by Bobby Hooks