Sean McDermott meets with media 6/17

38 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Yes that much he made clear.

Nothing about my post was contrarian.  I noted that he chose not to answer an obvious and simple question that at least one of his colleagues had no hesitation answering days ago.  I think there’s no chance that he “hasn’t decided” yet.  NO coach today is NOTgoing to support his players in their choice to kneel or not, so it’s not a distinction worth mentioning.. 

So just because Ass-Chin says something every other coach has to do the same?  It absolutely IS worth mentioning that McD's players know he has their backs; whether he himself kneels or not is irrelevant.

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

Yes that much he made clear.

Nothing about my post was contrarian.  I noted that he chose not to answer an obvious and simple question that at least one of his colleagues had no hesitation answering days ago.  I think there’s no chance that he “hasn’t decided” yet.  NO coach today is NOTgoing to support his players in their choice to kneel or not, so it’s not a distinction worth mentioning.. 

You're right that no coach is not going to support his players.

You're wrong about not having decided yet.   It's three months, at least, before the first game (who knows whether they'll even play the national anthem during preseason games).  The NFL certainly hasn't yet said its last word on the subject, so at a very minimum he hasn't decided because he hasn't heard what the NFL will say on the subject. The entire country is in a very fluid situation. The status of the Black Lives Matter movement may change between now and then, a players' movement might develop, the stock market might truly crash, there could be renewed, even larger, protests and battles with self-appoint patriots.  Any number of things might happen.  McDermott can't say today with any degree of certainty what he will do in terms of kneeling any more that he can say with any degree of accuracy who his starting right tackle will be.  In both cases, it would be foolish to declare himself today.  

13 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

A couple of Bills HC failures leads to conclude that the majority of McDs current peers are not highly detail oriented? 

That’s not convincing at all.  BB is at the far end of the spectrum but he doesn’t define the term exclusively.

We’ll disagree.

Well, you can choose not to discuss it further, but I must point out that Doug Marrone is a current NFL head coach who took his team to the AFC championship game.  Rex Ryan is a former NFL head coach who took the Jets to two AFC championship games. Chan Gailey is a current NFL offensive coordinator.  So they are pretty good, current examples of NFL coaches whose coaching philosophy is not detail-driven like McDermott's and Beliechick's. 

You haven't named any head coaches who operate like McDermott and Belichick.  Frank Ryan is, I believe, a detail-driven guy.  Jon Gruden, so far as I can tell, is not. I don't think Tomlin is, I don't know about Payton. 

So I'll stand behind my claim that McDermott is different from most coaches in the league with regard to details and his coaching style, since I've given multiple examples that support my claim and you've given none that support yours.  

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

I noted that he chose not to answer an obvious and simple question that at least one of his colleagues had no hesitation answering days ago.  

Has Bellicheck* answered this question yet?

What about Andy Reid? Shanahan? Gruden? McVay? Carroll? Arians?

Why is no one asking these coaches the same question? Why not go through the entire league, head coach to head coach, and get them all on the record for this stupidity?

Because that's what it is: stupidity.

1 hour ago, eball said:

So just because Ass-Chin says something every other coach has to do the same?  It absolutely IS worth mentioning that McD's players know he has their backs; whether he himself kneels or not is irrelevant.

He may be an ass, but he answered a simple question in a simple way.  Which HC made it crystal clear to his players and everyone else that he is not just supporting them, but with them?

33 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

You're right that no coach is not going to support his players.

You're wrong about not having decided yet.   It's three months, at least, before the first game (who knows whether they'll even play the national anthem during preseason games).  The NFL certainly hasn't yet said its last word on the subject, so at a very minimum he hasn't decided because he hasn't heard what the NFL will say on the subject. The entire country is in a very fluid situation. The status of the Black Lives Matter movement may change between now and then, a players' movement might develop, the stock market might truly crash, there could be renewed, even larger, protests and battles with self-appoint patriots.  Any number of things might happen.  McDermott can't say today with any degree of certainty what he will do in terms of kneeling any more that he can say with any degree of accuracy who his starting right tackle will be.  In both cases, it would be foolish to declare himself today.  

What might happen in BLM or the stock market or future protests that would, a few months from now, make a HC day “wait, I better not kneel after all” or “I think I’m going to jump in on the kneeling now”?

24 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

Well, you can choose not to discuss it further, but I must point out that Doug Marrone is a current NFL head coach who took his team to the AFC championship game.  Rex Ryan is a former NFL head coach who took the Jets to two AFC championship games. Chan Gailey is a current NFL offensive coordinator.  So they are pretty good, current examples of NFL coaches whose coaching philosophy is not detail-driven like McDermott's and Beliechick's. 

You haven't named any head coaches who operate like McDermott and Belichick.  Frank Ryan is, I believe, a detail-driven guy.  Jon Gruden, so far as I can tell, is not. I don't think Tomlin is, I don't know about Payton. 

So I'll stand behind my claim that McDermott is different from most coaches in the league with regard to details and his coaching style, since I've given multiple examples that support my claim and you've given none that support yours.  

Ive limited it to current HCs—I have no doubt Shanahan, Gruden (people mock him, but you’re the first I’ve seen claim he’s not detailed oriented), McVay, Payton (really “not sure” about one of the best Offensive minds in the NFL?) Reich, Reid, Carroll, Harbaugh...

Maybe you’ve re-defined “detail oriented”?  I don’t know.  You don’t know how more  detailed oriented McD is compared to his colleagues than any of us do.  You like what you see (so do I) and have simply assigned to him unique traits.   This is a profession where these guys work 12-18 hours a day preparing, sleeping in the office, etc.  Do you think they spend all that time NOT working out every detail of their roster and their plan for the upcoming opponent?  Or do they just not want to go home to the family?  Mike McCarthy probably not a detailed guy by accounts,  but he liked massages.  That doesn’t make him a bad man.

2 minutes ago, IDBillzFan said:

Has Bellicheck* answered this question yet?

What about Andy Reid? Shanahan? Gruden? McVay? Carroll? Arians?

Why is no one asking these coaches the same question? Why not go through the entire league, head coach to head coach, and get them all on the record for this stupidity?

Because that's what it is: stupidity.

They will all have to answer when asked.  Only 2 that I know have been. 

Also, obviously, it was not my question. I don’t shout questions at sports figures for a living.  Take that beef up with those who do.  

21 hours ago, QCity said:

This should really bring out the "I'm done with the NFL" posts, which are always fun to read. No seriously guys, I mean it this time. I'm gonna leave. I'm not joking anymore. :lol:

wait until they start burning jerseys they paid $120 for lol 

On ‎6‎/‎17‎/‎2020 at 10:10 AM, Don Otreply said:

Time time time..., is on my side, yes it is.... 

guess what band, 

On ‎6‎/‎17‎/‎2020 at 10:14 AM, Rockinon said:

Rolling Stones.

"Time Is on My Side" is a song written by Jerry Ragovoy (using the pseudonym "Norman Meade"). First recorded by jazz trombonist Kai Winding and his orchestra in 1963, it was covered (with additional lyrics by Jimmy Norman) by both soul singer Irma Thomas and the Rolling Stones in 1964.

27 minutes ago, Bob in STL said:

"Time Is on My Side" is a song written by Jerry Ragovoy (using the pseudonym "Norman Meade"). First recorded by jazz trombonist Kai Winding and his orchestra in 1963, it was covered (with additional lyrics by Jimmy Norman) by both soul singer Irma Thomas and the Rolling Stones in 1964.

You win ? ?

28 minutes ago, Bob in STL said:

You sound like one of my friends. Her name is Alexa. ?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

Just now, Don Otreply said:

You win ? ?

I had to look that up because I remembered it was a cover tune, rearranged by them. 

I was surprised to see it was a jazz standard that morphed into R&B/Rock.   Good song and the Stones made it a classic. 

1 minute ago, Bob in STL said:

I had to look that up because I remembered it was a cover tune, rearranged by them. 

I was surprised to see it was a jazz standard that morphed into R&B/Rock.   Good song and the Stones made it a classic. 

They sure did, I did not know about it being a  Jazz standard, this board is full of many cool people that know or find out great info, like you,?

Go Bills!!!

• Like (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, Bob in STL said:

Never knew that.  Thanks.  But I could just as easily have believed it was a Jagger/Richards original.

• Like (+1) 1