Sean McDermott meets with media 6/17

2 hours ago, Warcodered said:

This should really bring out the "I'm done with the NFL" posts, which are always fun to read. No seriously guys, I mean it this time. I'm gonna leave. I'm not joking anymore. :lol:

4 minutes ago, QCity said:

This should really bring out the "I'm done with the NFL" posts, which are always fun to read. No seriously guys, I mean it this time. I'm gonna leave. I'm not joking anymore. :lol:

It's like they're bluffing, but to what end?  

2 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

He didn't answer the question; he reiterated the answer to another question.  It was a simple yes/no.  I would give him full credit had he answered either way. 

Well we all know McD's primary purpose in life is to receive "full credit" from you!  Was there an official "I'll kneel or I won't kneel" deadline I and others missed?

I'll say to those who don't support the right of players to peacefully kneel the same thing I said years ago -- if that's what it takes for you to give up the NFL, don't let the door hit ya' where the good lord split ya!

McD's answer basically said he's not kneeling but he'll support anyone who does.  Good policy.

As for Harbaugh, sure he's a complainer but he's also a very good HC, although he did have one of the best talent evaluators in Ozzy Newsome.  He's better right now because he's been a HC for 12 seasons whereas McD has been one for 3.  But he's not available and I like where the team is headed under McD.  Hopefully SB win by year at least year 5, and then some more.

2 minutes ago, Doc said:

McD's answer basically said he's not kneeling but he'll support anyone who does.  Good policy.

As for Harbaugh, sure he's a complainer but he's also a very good HC, although he did have one of the best talent evaluators in Ozzy Newsome.  He's better right now because he's been a HC for 12 seasons whereas McD has been one for 3.  But he's not available and I like where the team is headed under McD.  Hopefully SB win by year at least year 5, and then some more.

Great policy.

2 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

From a lot of NFL coaches.  McDermott is about details like Belichick is.  

A lot of NFL HC's are not about details like that?  I don't believe that. 

2 hours ago, eball said:

Well we all know McD's primary purpose in life is to receive "full credit" from you!  Was there an official "I'll kneel or I won't kneel" deadline I and others missed?

I'll say to those who don't support the right of players to peacefully kneel the same thing I said years ago -- if that's what it takes for you to give up the NFL, don't let the door hit ya' where the good lord split ya!

Besides missing the point, he was asked a simple question and didn't answer directly.  He repeated a non-answer.  Choices were "yes, I'll kneel with my players who kneel" or "no, I won't but I fully support any of my players who do".  Simple.  Bill O'Brien ,of all people, didn't struggle with that plain question.

I don't care who doesn't kneel,  kneels, stands, sits.  It's all theater at this point.  They should just get rid of the anthem at games.  It has nothing at all to do with what is about to transpire.  Play ball.

Edited by Mr. WEO

28 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Besides missing the point, he was asked a simple question and didn't answer directly.  He repeated a non-answer.  Choices were "yes, I'll kneel with my players who kneel" or "no, I won't but I fully support any of my players who do".  Simple.

I don't care who doesn't kneel,  kneels, stands, sits.  It's all theater at this point.  They should just get rid of the anthem at games.  It has nothing at all to do with what is about to transpire.  Play ball.

yes but a lot of people do.  If he answers “No” straight-up, he probably comes under fire from a ton of different people.

8 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Yea he straight up avoided answering the YES OR NO question....but why would players call up McDermott and ask if they had his support to kneel? I’m sure they don’t give a ***** what he thinks and they’ll do whatever they feel and believe themselves. 

Just don't show up to camp in an OANN t-shirt.

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

Rex wasn't. Gailey wasn't. Marrone wasn't. I'd guess most aren't. Players who played for Belichick say he is differen about details. McDermott is like Bill.  

7 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

Rex wasn't. Gailey wasn't. Marrone wasn't. I'd guess most aren't. Players who played for Belichick say he is differen about details. McDermott is like Bill.  

So we're videotaping other teams' practices, stealing their signals, and deflating footballs?

8 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

I think this points up what makes McDermott so unusual. He refuses to approach any challenge from the point of view that it's impossible. Seems silly, I know, but that's who he is and who he wants his players to be. Whatever rules the league hands down, whatever the schedule is going look like, whatever day he had to play on, none of it deters McDermott. His response is always the same: "Okay, let's get to work."

Put another way, McDermott sees absolutely no value in complaining. Every minute spend complaining is time lost. While Harbaugh is complaining, McDermott is working. 

I do like your take ?

4 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

From whom?

Most humans on this planet, 

1 hour ago, RiotAct said:

yes but a lot of people do.  If he answers “No” straight-up, he probably comes under fire from a ton of different people.

Why not answer it now?  Then by the time comes to kneel or stand no one will care.  Why make it an issue at the beginning of the season?

1 hour ago, ScottLaw said:

Yea he straight up avoided answering the YES OR NO question....but why would players call up McDermott and ask if they had his support to kneel? I’m sure they don’t give a ***** what he thinks and they’ll do whatever they feel and believe themselves. 

That’s not what he was asked.

22 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

A couple of Bills HC failures leads to conclude that the majority of McDs current peers are not highly detail oriented? 

That’s not convincing at all.  BB is at the far end of the spectrum but he doesn’t define the term exclusively.

We’ll disagree.

9 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

He didn't answer the question; he reiterated the answer to another question.  It was a simple yes/no.  I would give him full credit had he answered either way. 

He answered the question how he saw best. It might seem to be an easy yes/no question, but there is no easy yes/no answer. Oh, and I don't think he gives a damn about you giving him full credit. 

3 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

"So, have you stopped beating your wife?"  

Simple yes or no question...   So go ahead and answer it with only a one word "yes" or "no". 

There's a lot more carried along in the original question than a simple "yes" or "no" can answer.  He answered the question conveying strong support of whatever his players do.  That absolutely is an answer and not an avoidance.

11 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

Besides missing the point, he was asked a simple question and didn't answer directly.  He repeated a non-answer.  Choices were "yes, I'll kneel with my players who kneel" or "no, I won't but I fully support any of my players who do".  Simple.  Bill O'Brien ,of all people, didn't struggle with that plain question.

I didn’t miss any point.  You’re simply being a contrarian as always, which is your right.  McD doesn’t owe anyone a “yes or no” answer to that question, and the truth is he may not know the answer (hasn’t decided) at this point in time.  The important thing, which he conveyed, is that he has told his players he will support them.  I don’t believe there is a player in the NFL who would look at a teammate or coach not kneeling and interpret that to mean that player or coach doesn’t also support social justice.  “Kneeling or not kneeling” is insignificant; what matters is what is in a person’s heart and how they act in their everyday life.  The players know McD supports them and that is really all that matters.

Edited by eball
  • Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, eball said:

I didn’t miss any point.  You’re simply being a contrarian as always, which is your right.  McD doesn’t owe anyone a “yes or no” answer to that question, and the truth is he may not know the answer (hasn’t decided) at this point in time.  The important thing, which he conveyed, is that he has told his players he will support them.  I don’t believe there is a player in the NFL who would look at a teammate or coach not kneeling and interpret that to mean that player or coach doesn’t also support social justice.  “Kneeling or not kneeling” is insignificant; what matters is what is in a person’s heart and how they act in their everyday life.  The players know McD supports them and that is really all that matters.

Yes that much he made clear.

Nothing about my post was contrarian.  I noted that he chose not to answer an obvious and simple question that at least one of his colleagues had no hesitation answering days ago.  I think there’s no chance that he “hasn’t decided” yet.  NO coach today is NOTgoing to support his players in their choice to kneel or not, so it’s not a distinction worth mentioning..