Sean McDermott meets with media 6/17

4 minutes ago, IDBillzFan said:

A lot of posters here think Zubaz should make a comeback and fried bologna sammiches qualify as breakfast food.

In the end, most fans simply want their football straight up, no mixers.

Nearly every off season post would disappear were that true.

27 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

There's no reason to conclude that Harbaugh is "complaining" by pointing out flaws and potential problems in this protocol.  You can't be suggesting that Harbaugh is not a hard working coach who also wants to just "get to work".  In fact that's his issue with the protocol--it doesn't allow for that.  

McDermott is a good guy, but I don't see where he has traits nearly every HC has as well.  I would take Harbaugh as HC in a second over McD.  Not sure why you would not.

I tend to agree with you about Harbaugh.  I like him.  

I wasn't making a point about Harbaugh so much as I was about McDermott.  He seems to ALWAYS be like this - he doesn't waste a minute on things he can't control.  

8 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

He didn't answer the question; he reiterated the answer to another question.  It was a simple yes/no.  I would give him full credit had he answered either way. 

It might just be that since no one has come forward saying they're going to kneel he can hardly kneel in solidarity with them. But it is pretty open ended who knows what he'll do.

2 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

I wasn't making a point about Harbaugh so much as I was about McDermott.  He seems to ALWAYS be like this - he doesn't waste a minute on things he can't control.  

I can't comment with that level of conviction.  I don't know McD nearly as well as you seem to.  I only know him from press conferences, etc, where he rarely says anything out of script.

As to the notion that McDermott isn't qualified to say who might or might not make a good NFL coach, I believe he's been in the NFL for long enough, and with enough success as both a coordinator and HC (2 playoff berths in 3 years is not to be sniffed at, especially while re-building), to have a clue.

As regards his staff turnover, well he was pretty clear from the get go, that he had lists of who he wanted to work with, and he obviously wasn't able to get every first choice to begin with.

In that respect, is there a change of coach that he's made, who hasn't been an improvement? Off the top of my head, so far, I don't believe there is, although I could easily be wrong. But it won't be by much.

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, IDBillzFan said:

He really is. The most impressive thing to me is how quickly he will admit an error, and then work to adjust it. Always work the problem. Always.

The high off-season praise is a bit worrisome for me, just because people love to lift things up to watch them fall, but damn the stars are aligned, and he's the right guy to lead this group.

I'm totally on Team McBeane. But then again, I'm a homer. I'm just excited to be competitive again, and very glad I don't follow hockey.

I'm right there with you.

All the coaches are operating in uncharted territory right now. They're trying to figure out how to do their jobs.  Some will figure it out better than others. 

The early games in any season are very important, in that the teams are playing without being fully formed - they haven't become yet what they will become. But the wins and losses count equally in the standings with the later games. So, figuring out how to prepare your team this season can give a coach a big advantage in the early season. 

There will be some coaches whose teams are behind starting camp and will be behind coming out of camp. McDermott could have gotten it all wrong over the past three months. Who knows? But I have a lot of confidence that he figured out how to get the job done and that he has his team ready for camp.

5 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

I can't comment with that level of conviction.  I don't know McD nearly as well as you seem to.  I only know him from press conferences, etc, where he rarely says anything out of script.

All I know about him is what I hear from him and from others around him. There was a lot of talk about what he is like on the Sunday night game against the Steelers, because the two head coaches were teammates in college. There also have been articles about him describing his work ethic, his personality, etc. Everything I've seen makes it sound like he's the ultimate nice guy combined with the ultimate Type A workaholic. 

When the Clintons were in their last year in the White House, I read an article about the Clintons and the Gores. It said they'd have dinner together occasionally at the White House, and after dinner they'd often spend several hours together. Hilary and Al talked political science theory all night; Bill and Tipper drank and laughed a lot. If they could have gotten McDermott to stay after dinner, he would have been with Hilary and Al. 

1 hour ago, Happy said:

My point is, as stated, I don't think McDermott is the best person to evaluate who will make a good coach.  Having such a turnover in staff can be interpreted that he is learning as he goes along, but it also signifies that he did not (and may still not) know what makes a good coach.  Should we expect turnover?  Sure; Brian Flores turned over the OC in Miami, so that happens.  But most of the staff, save the DC and LB coach....that's a lot in three years.  You are correct, I don't have a lot of confidence in McDermott.  Not sure when is a good time to voice that which will satisfy you, as well as the other McD fan-types.

I love it! You dive headfirst into a pool of horse manure, then come up swimming the Butterfly!

AWESOME!

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

It might just be that since no one has come forward saying they're going to kneel he can hardly kneel in solidarity with them. But it is pretty open ended who knows what he'll do.

supporting  his players and kneeling with them isnt necessairiy the same thing... He can support those that kneel and still stand. Standing for the anthem doesnt mean folks dont sympathize with BLM issues. Maybe they feel that kneeling is meant as a religious statement Not a political one for starters....As far as Im concerned I wont be one taking notice and making lists about who does and doesn't it isn't indicative of their hearts IMO

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

Nearly every off season post would disappear were that true.

I disagree. Offseason is ridiculously boring. I watched one poster start a thread exclusively to call out a Bills fan for the clothes he was wearing at a game.

That thread would never survive the regular season but it survives in the off season because there is not much to talk about about.

When the kneeling threads start during the regular season, the threads will start, but you'll see the large number of fans who just want players to STFU and play football.

I know it's politically correct to post stupid black boxes these days and get emails from my pet store ensuring I know that Black Lives Matter to them, but mark my words; America  is tired of this stuff overflowing into their past times. Like I said,  people can get their feelz somewhere else without having to have it forced into their past times.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Shaw66 said:

Harbaugh is a complainer. It doesn’t make him a good coach or a bad coach. It makes him a complainer.  I think he’s a good coach, his SB and overall record speaks for itself.  McDermott might be bitching about it too behind closed doors. He’s just not an overt complainer. 

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, IDBillzFan said:

I disagree. Offseason is ridiculously boring. I watched one poster start a thread exclusively to call out a Bills fan for the clothes he was wearing at a game.

That thread would never survive the regular season but it survives in the off season because there is not much to talk about about.

When the kneeling threads start during the regular season, the threads will start, but you'll see the large number of fans who just want players to STFU and play football.

I know it's politically correct to post stupid black boxes these days and get emails from my pet store ensuring I know that Black Lives Matter to them, but mark my words; America  is tired of this stuff overflowing into their past times. Like I said,  people can get their feelz somewhere else without having to have it forced into their past times.

I just said that.  Why are you disagreeing with me?

59 minutes ago, Muppy said:

supporting  his players and kneeling with them isnt necessairiy the same thing... He can support those that kneel and still stand. Standing for the anthem doesnt mean folks dont sympathize with BLM issues. Maybe they feel that kneeling is meant as a religious statement Not a political one for starters....As far as Im concerned I wont be one taking notice and making lists about who does and doesn't it isn't indicative of their hearts IMO

I don’t care who does or doesn’t kneel and never have. McD may or may not kneel, that’s his right either way. He’s saying he supports whatever the players choose to do, regardless. As it should be, it’s a personal choice imo. 

1 hour ago, Shaw66 said:

All I know about him is what I hear from him and from others around him. There was a lot of talk about what he is like on the Sunday night game against the Steelers, because the two head coaches were teammates in college. There also have been articles about him describing his work ethic, his personality, etc. Everything I've seen makes it sound like he's the ultimate nice guy combined with the ultimate Type A workaholic. 

When the Clintons were in their last year in the White House, I read an article about the Clintons and the Gores. It said they'd have dinner together occasionally at the White House, and after dinner they'd often spend several hours together. Hilary and Al talked political science theory all night; Bill and Tipper drank and laughed a lot. If they could have gotten McDermott to stay after dinner, he would have been with Hilary and Al. 

I'm sure he's a nice man who is type A hard working.  That's not at all unique in his postition.

2 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Harbaugh is a complainer. It doesn’t make him a good coach or a bad coach. It makes him a complainer.  I think he’s a good coach, his SB and overall record speaks for itself.  McDermott might be bitching about it too behind closed doors. He’s just not an overt complainer. 

Voicing concerns about the protocols problems doesn't make him a complainer.  It gives voice to the issue at the HC level.

Bitching about it with a few colleagues in your office does not move the issue forward.

23 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

I'm sure he's a nice man who is type A hard working.  That's not at all unique in his postition.

You're right. He isn't unique because he is a Type A. I think, but dont really know, that he is dedicated to constant improvement, both for himself and for his team, all the time.  That's what makes him different. 

8 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

You're right. He isn't unique because he is a Type A. I think, but dont really know, that he is dedicated to constant improvement, both for himself and for his team, all the time.  That's what makes him different. 

From whom?

3 hours ago, Happy said:

My point is, as stated, I don't think McDermott is the best person to evaluate who will make a good coach.  Having such a turnover in staff can be interpreted that he is learning as he goes along, but it also signifies that he did not (and may still not) know what makes a good coach.  Should we expect turnover?  Sure; Brian Flores turned over the OC in Miami, so that happens.  But most of the staff, save the DC and LB coach....that's a lot in three years.  You are correct, I don't have a lot of confidence in McDermott.  Not sure when is a good time to voice that which will satisfy you, as well as the other McD fan-types.

I don't think the turnover reflects badly on McD at all.

When McD was named HC, I'm sure he knew who he wanted on this staff.  I'm also sure that most of the coaches he wanted were already under contract.  So he hired the best staff he could from a limited pool of available NFL-caliber coaches.

Since then McD has been working diligently to upgrade his staff as a good HC should.  Belichick didn't begin his tenure in New England with his dream staff either.  It takes time to put  a high performing coaching staff together.   And it seems to me McD is methodically and successfully assembling a highly competent team of subordinate coaches.  

• Like (+1) 3