“Cancel” / Knee-Jerk Culture of 2020 and beyond

https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/06/us/racism-words-phrases-slavery-trnd/index.html

More words set to likely be cancelled.  My favorite quote from the "article" with regard to the term "Master Bedroom" (basically, we aren't totally sure, or even remotely sure this term is rooted in racism and/or slavery in America...but ***** it we're going to make that leap anyway!!): 

"Master bedrooms" were more widely implemented in American homes after World War II, intended to give working parents a private space within their own homes, Trelora notes.

While it's unclear whether the term is rooted in American slavery on plantations, it evokes that history."

• Sad 1

26 minutes ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

I have no issue with using primary, or something to that effect, to describe the main bedroom. 

I can agree with that, as far as not having a problem using alternative language.  But, honestly, never in all my life have I ever thought of racism or slavery when saying "master bedroom".  In that article they seem to really be reaching for any language they can find to link it to slavery/racism and why we shouldn't use those words anymore.

Edited by Johnnycage46

27 minutes ago, Johnnycage46 said:

I can agree with that, as far as not having a problem using alternative language.  But, honestly, never in all my life have I ever thought of racism or slavery when saying "master bedroom".  In that article they seem to really be reaching for any language they can find to link it to slavery/racism and why we shouldn't use those words anymore.

Fear those people with masters degrees, they're experts at exploiting you.

1 hour ago, Johnnycage46 said:

https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/06/us/racism-words-phrases-slavery-trnd/index.html

More words set to likely be cancelled.  My favorite quote from the "article" with regard to the term "Master Bedroom" (basically, we aren't totally sure, or even remotely sure this term is rooted in racism and/or slavery in America...but ***** it we're going to make that leap anyway!!): 

"Master bedrooms" were more widely implemented in American homes after World War II, intended to give working parents a private space within their own homes, Trelora notes.

While it's unclear whether the term is rooted in American slavery on plantations, it evokes that history."

That entire article was ridiculous in it's assumptions. I'm sure if we look hard enough we can find something offensive to someone in just about anything. I suppose Master lock company should close their doors now? 

54 minutes ago, Cinga said:

That entire article was ridiculous in it's assumptions. I'm sure if we look hard enough we can find something offensive to someone in just about anything. I suppose Master lock company should close their doors now? 

Agreed, and I think that's why everything is so off the rails (sorry if anyone has had loved ones pass away in a train derailing).  Anything can be offensive if someone tries hard enough to be offended...and it seems that is exactly what people are doing lol.  Maybe all this time at home just made people bored and they're looking for things to get passionate about.

• Like (+1) 1

EcQ0ouQXYAEcNAz?format=jpg&name=small

White woman who called police on Black birder in New York City will face criminal charges
Amy Cooper, a White woman who was caught on video calling the police on a Black man who was birdwatching in New York's Central Park, is now facing charges of falsely reporting an incident in the third degree from the Manhattan District Attorney's office.

What happened to Juicy Smollett ...

2 hours ago, Unforgiven said:

EcQ0ouQXYAEcNAz?format=jpg&name=small

White woman who called police on Black birder in New York City will face criminal charges
Amy Cooper, a White woman who was caught on video calling the police on a Black man who was birdwatching in New York's Central Park, is now facing charges of falsely reporting an incident in the third degree from the Manhattan District Attorney's office.

What happened to Juicy Smollett ...

Good.  What a disgusting c---.

• Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

But the fact that he’s wearin depends doesn’t give it away?? 

yeah, I don't think there are many on here who know Jack Benny's valet...or even who Jack Benny is....lol

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1