New Era Coming up on its 50th In 3 Years !

Someplace in a box somewhere I have every picture from the Buffalo News when the stadium was being constructed and many years later I became an architect. As I look back I guess I can contribute my chosen career path to those days watching Rich Stadium become a reality. Go figure! 

When they talk about a new stadium I’m quick to point out that New Era is now older than the Rockpile was when it was torn down!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

3 hours ago, shane nelson said:

Flashback video.  Love this place, graveyard and all   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oFAyTbllkxQ&t=1s 

Thanks for that Shane very cool to see the stadium being built & listening to the narration but the way the music wavers it reminds me of when my old turn table was going bad ?.

I remember pedaling my banana bike (I was14) from my Broadway Market/St. Stan's neighborhood down to OP to see that new stadium for myself right before opening day. Our family couldn't afford such a frivolity like football tickets then so it was quite a while before I saw a game inside.

Fun fact: The Bills were the only the second NFL team to sell naming rights to a stadium. (Rich Foods)  The Patriots were the first two years earlier with Schaeffer (beer) Stadium.

• Like (+1) 1

19 hours ago, T master said:

Almost 50 yrs ago now which really isn't that long ago R.W. & the Bills looked at getting a new home that is now known as New Era field. Named Rich stadium at the time of opening it was state of the art back then . I had a friend send this article to me a while back & i was going through my emails erasing a bunch of the old ones to get some space when i came across it .

Erie county broke ground on April 4th 1972 & they opened it on Aug. 17th 1973 at a construction cost of $22 million which now a days the cost is $1 Billion + what a difference in !! You could repave the parking lot for that today for what it cost to build the stadium then !

We all know when it opened it was Rich Stadium and held close to 80K fans if i think  ? you all can straighten me out on the true amount then and now but i know it was a pretty large stadium at the time and i believe still is pretty large as far as how many fans it holds .

https://buffalonews.com/2016/08/14/gallery6633/#image=40

No longer living in western NY i don't get to see many if any articles that come out of the Buffalo news so looking at this was definitely pretty cool,  a lot of you have probably already seen this and it may have been posted a while ago but i thought looking back might give us a break from all the other things that are in the news & other places that we get our reading material.

In the article it has one frame that show the seat prices and i was wondering how much change there has been in the prices since the opening of the stadium if any one knows what the new prices are please let us know it would be very interesting to see how much the increase has been since 1973 .

I hope you all enjoy it ! 

sorry to be persnickety - but can you please remove the apostrophe in the title? thanks.

New Era Coming up on its 50th Birthday Soon 

instead of

New Era Coming up on it's 50th Birthday Soon .

Edited by IgotBILLStopay
  • Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, shane nelson said:

Flashback video.  Love this place, graveyard and all   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oFAyTbllkxQ&t=1s 

That was an AWESOME video!  Made my frikin day.  The narration.  Was that Jeff Kaye?  And the music was great too.  Wow I was 8 years old when the stadium opened.  Did not move to Buffalo until 1976.  But remember watching those early games as a kid living in Pa.  That artificial turf looked so good on TV.  I remember the Juice cutting back and making plenty of long shifty runs.  The 70's were so much better then the world is today.  My goodness.  

• Like (+1) 2

5 hours ago, Paup 1995MVP said:

That was an AWESOME video!  Made my frikin day.  The narration.  Was that Jeff Kaye?  And the music was great too.  Wow I was 8 years old when the stadium opened.  Did not move to Buffalo until 1976.  But remember watching those early games as a kid living in Pa.  That artificial turf looked so good on TV.  I remember the Juice cutting back and making plenty of long shifty runs.  The 70's were so much better then the world is today.  My goodness.  

Totally agree with you, Bryce. I was 9 when the stadium opened and went to the opener against the Washington Redskins with my dad. I wax nostalgic about the 70's too eventhough the teams between 1988-'94 were obviously better than the OJ/Fergie years. 2020 is only half over and it's already been the worst year in my memory. Thank God at least the Bills are back to being good again! 

On 6/16/2020 at 8:55 PM, coloradobillsfan said:

I was 0

4 hours ago, CowgirlsFan said:

I'm old.

I was 20.

Yes you are!?

I was 15. Saw the 1st ever game there vs. Washington (Eff Herb Mulkey!) & 1st regular season game Wk#3 vs. Jets, 9-7 win -Al Woodall replacing injured Namath & Fergy’s 1st ever start.

It’ll ALWAYS be “Rich Stadium, Orchard Park, New York!” -said in my best Howard Cosell voice.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

23 hours ago, John Gianelli said:

Check this video out for how football has changed in 50 years. Half of the highlights they show would have a penalty flag or two thrown. Some great clips of OJ and Robert James. 

The day the Buffalo Braves traded MVP Hall of Famer Bob McAdoo (my screenname) for John Gianelli (yours) and cash, was a sad, sad day for that franchise. Still, seeing your name brought back amazing memories of going to games at the good old Aud with dad and watching big Mac and Buff State boy Randy Smith. Thanks for posting this historic video. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 6/17/2020 at 12:49 AM, 2ForMacAdoo said:

I was 11 when dad took me to the home opener at then Rich Stadium. Still have the commemorative coin they gave out to mark the historic occasion. The unforgettable part of that preseason game against the Redskins was the KR for Washington ran the opening kickoff back 98 yards for a TD. Not the most auspicious beginning but still an amazing experience just to be there. 

I was there too. I lost my coin. I thought the return was longer.

3 hours ago, mjpbills said:

I was there too. I lost my coin. I thought the return was longer.

Haha, you're right. I just looked it up and it was 102 yards. Herb Mul-key. Short-lived NFL career but made the Pro Bowl in 1973 as a special teamer as well as a Super Bowl appearance the same year. 

I'll never forget the shocked look on dad's face as it was the first play of the game in that brand new stadium and we were both so pumped. He had that "Is this a bad omen?" look I will never forget. 

On 6/16/2020 at 5:52 PM, T master said:

Almost 50 yrs ago now which really isn't that long ago R.W. & the Bills looked at getting a new home that is now known as New Era field. Named Rich stadium at the time of opening it was state of the art back then . I had a friend send this article to me a while back & i was going through my emails erasing a bunch of the old ones to get some space when i came across it .

Erie county broke ground on April 4th 1972 & they opened it on Aug. 17th 1973 at a construction cost of $22 million which now a days the cost is $1 Billion + what a difference in !! You could repave the parking lot for that today for what it cost to build the stadium then !

We all know when it opened it was Rich Stadium and held close to 80K fans if i think  ? you all can straighten me out on the true amount then and now but i know it was a pretty large stadium at the time and i believe still is pretty large as far as how many fans it holds .

No longer living in western NY i don't get to see many if any articles that come out of the Buffalo news so looking at this was definitely pretty cool,  a lot of you have probably already seen this and it may have been posted a while ago but i thought looking back might give us a break from all the other things that are in the news & other places that we get our reading material.

In the article it has one frame that show the seat prices and i was wondering how much change there has been in the prices since the opening of the stadium if any one knows what the new prices are please let us know it would be very interesting to see how much the increase has been since 1973 .

3 years is soon?? What's your definition of imminent then?

On 6/18/2020 at 10:31 AM, 2ForMacAdoo said:

Haha, you're right. I just looked it up and it was 102 yards. Herb Mul-key. Short-lived NFL career but made the Pro Bowl in 1973 as a special teamer as well as a Super Bowl appearance the same year. 

I'll never forget the shocked look on dad's face as it was the first play of the game in that brand new stadium and we were both so pumped. He had that "Is this a bad omen?" look I will never forget. 

We were stuck in traffic on the thruway overpass. I could see the lights of the new stadium and were listening to the kick return on the radio. Total screw up by these geniuses to open the new stadium the same night the Erie County fair opened. Classic!

2 hours ago, SteveFreeman22 said:

Don't have the definition & don't really care i just know the other day my daughter was born & now she is 33 so in the grand scheme of things 3 yrs is a drop in the bucket .

You must be a youngster i take it ? 

On 6/16/2020 at 5:52 PM, T master said:

Lets see....1973 from 2000 is 27. Ok... then 2000 from 2020 is 20.... Now 20+27=47. Ok, no. This is not 50.

Edited by fansince88
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, fansince88 said:

Lets see....1973 from 2000 is 27. Ok... then 2000 from 2020 is 20.... Now 20+27=47. Ok, no. This is not 50.

At least you can add & subtract . There are you all happy now FCS . 

4 hours ago, SteveFreeman22 said:

There all better ! ?