Too-early prediction - Last Place in AFC East ???

CSBill

1 hour ago, KD in CA said:

As a long time NY Post reader when I lived back east, I always found Costello to be little more than an instantly forgettable, paint-by-numbers columnist.

The 'odds are against Buffalo' conclusion based on the last time they appeared in the playoffs in consecutive seasons is just the worse kind of nonsensical crap.

In normal years the Bills would be a prime regression candidate due to the challenging schedule.

What I think Costello needs to factor in is that there are multiple paths to the playoffs this year since the division is also up for grabs. 

7 hours ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

I'm just saying its not crazy to think that things fall apart next year

It may not be “crazy” but it’s also not very likely, as many more indicators suggest the Bills are a very good team and organization.  Those teams don’t often “fall apart” unless it is on account of key injuries. 

Edited by eball

8 hours ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

What the hell is this trash?  

Click bait.  And we are all biting.

1 hour ago, TigerJ said:

A partisan sports "journalist" engaging in wishful thinking.  I hope he owns up to his prediction after the season, but I'm not expecting he will.

And when he's wrong, he'll get even more clicks/attention from Bills fans.  He's playing us like a fiddle.

"Reason for despair

The Bills have not made consecutive playoff appearances since 1998-99 and have not won a playoff game since 1995. The odds are against Buffalo making it back to the playoffs this year. They also will not sneak up on any teams now. They will get their opponents’ best shot."

But... we just... huh...???

4 hours ago, eball said:

It may not be “crazy” but it’s also not very likely, as many more indicators suggest the Bills are a very good team and organization.  Those teams don’t often “fall apart” unless it is on account of key injuries. 

I know Im going to get roasted for saying this, but don’t the Bills need to beat a good team before being considered a very good organization? What was their signature win last year? Tennessee w/ Mariota? Dallas on Thanksgiving and SNF @ Pitt were good wine, but those teams both had down years. 

On paper the Bills are a prime regression candidate, because they aren’t going to get 5 games against the four worst teams in the league again. 

Most of the Jets beat writers think BB would win the division with high school team so  don’t take it personally. It remains to be seen if they are right, and hopefully we find out. 

The schedule issue has been brought up several times, but do remember, all the AFC East teams play pretty similar opponents. NE has rated the highest, and Jets and Fins strength of scheduled is above the Bills (it would be better to remove the division games, but even in that, they are still close to each other). So when deciding who wins the division, this element is a factor, but not a huge differentiator when compared to each other. And if that is the case, then go back to the quality of players. . . .  Yes, I will concede, it could happen, but the logic (or, non-logic) used to predict it is where the stupidity factor enters his equation.

Rank Team Opponents' 2019 win percentage
1 New England Patriots .537 (137-118-1)
2 New York Jets .533 (136-119-1)
3 Miami Dolphins .529 (135-120-1)
4 San Francisco 49ers .527 (134-120-2)
T5 Buffalo Bills .525 (134-121-1)
Edited by CSBill
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

To be fair, you can see why people might think this. We've seen a lot of teams crash and burn after being predicted great seasons, remember the Jags a couple of years ago, or the Eagles 'dream team'. 

It will be interesting to see how this team handles the pressure and expectation. 

I do think the hype is a little over the top for this season.  They still need to stay healthy.   A rash of IR injuries tends to trash any teams season.  If your superior talent is not on the field, do you have more talent then everyone else?  

3 hours ago, JetsFan20 said:

I know Im going to get roasted for saying this, but don’t the Bills need to beat a good team before being considered a very good organization? What was their signature win last year? Tennessee w/ Mariota? Dallas on Thanksgiving and SNF @ Pitt were good wine, but those teams both had down years. 

On paper the Bills are a prime regression candidate, because they aren’t going to get 5 games against the four worst teams in the league again. 

Most of the Jets beat writers think BB would win the division with high school team so  don’t take it personally. It remains to be seen if they are right, and hopefully we find out. 

I don’t come to a Bills forum to be lectured by Jets fans...as if you have anything to talk about.  You beat the teams in front of you, and the Bills were 10-5 in meaningful contests last season with one-score losses to the Pats* twice and Ravens in which they had the ball in the red zone at the end of the game.

You don’t understand statistics if you believe the Bills are a “prime candidate for regression.”  They are trending upwards.  But thanks for visiting; bye bye now.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, CSBill said:

The schedule issue has been brought up several times, but do remember all, the AFC East teams play pretty similar opponents. NE has rated the highest, and Jets and Fins strength of scheduled is above the Bills (it would be better to remove the division games, but even in that, they are still close to each other). So when deciding who wins the division, this element is a factor, but not a huge differentiator when compared to each other. And if that is the case, then go back to the quality of players. . . .  But, I will concede, it could happen, but the logic (or, non-logic) used to predict is where the stupidity factor enters his equation.

Rank Team Opponents' 2019 win percentage
1 New England Patriots .537 (137-118-1)
2 New York Jets .533 (136-119-1)
3 Miami Dolphins .529 (135-120-1)
4 San Francisco 49ers .527 (134-120-2)
T5 Buffalo Bills .525 (134-121-1)

Excellent point there.   The same applies to last season -- the Patriots, Jets, Dolphins and Bills had similar schedules (taking out the games played within the division) so an argument that the Bills had an easy schedule in 2019 also applies for all the other teams in the division.

14 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I’ll agree with that (although Fromm is a wild card). As we sit today the Bills should feel worse about their number 2 than anyone in the division. Brian never suggests though that Allen goes out (which would be an odd thing to predict). Just saying, it’s a tough argument to put the Bills last in the division. They are +650 to finish 4th (and that’s way low imo). If someone offered me 30:1 that the Bills would finish 4th in the division I wouldn’t touch it. 

Fromm is 100% a wildcard. All he did in college coming in for the injured starter was lead his team to National Championship game and win the toughest conference in college football. 

16 hours ago, CSBill said:

https://nypost.com/2020/06/16/buffalo-bills-outlook-josh-allen-co-have-big-expectations/

A pretty fair analysis up to the point where he drops this bomb at the end--with no real explanation:

"The key to the Bills season is how they handle raised expectations. The Bills are now viewed as the favorites in the AFC East with Tom Brady gone.   I’m not sure how they will handle that. I think they could stumble and have a tough season.

Too-early prediction

Last place in AFC East."

I don't swear, but this challenged my conviction.

giphy.mp4

16 hours ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

What the hell is this trash?  

Edited by Nanker