Botts Canned!

11 minutes ago, May Day 10 said:

all the Amerks' coaches just got turfed

The announced today that General Manager Randy Sexton, Head Coach Chris Taylor and Assistant Coaches Gord Dineen and Toby Petersen have all been relieved of their duties.

54 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

Why in the world would they fire Chris Taylor?

Im very anxious to see how these positions are filled, if they are filled at all. 

Does Tom Golisano want to buy the team back...? 

I wouldn't be surprised if Taylor winds up on the NHL staff instead.  That firing really feels like a formality in all of this.

35 minutes ago, shrader said:

I wouldn't be surprised if Taylor winds up on the NHL staff instead.  That firing really feels like a formality in all of this.

Hope you’re right. But why fire his whole staff then?

It makes no sense to me. Gord Dineen did a good job filling in for Taylor.

All I can think is that maybe Kevyn Adams has someone in mind for the job. His area of expertise has been in player development.

or it was a cost cutting move, but I’m not sure if AHL coaching contract are guaranteed like NHL contract are. If they are then it wouldn’t make much sense to fire him to save $$.

Edited by BillsFan4

1 minute ago, BillsFan4 said:

All I can think is that maybe Kevyn Adams has someone in mind for the job. His area of expertise has been in player development.

I dont think there is a plan yet beyond clearing employees

Just now, May Day 10 said:

I dont think there is a plan yet beyond clearing employees

It does kind of seem that way right now. 

This is probably one of the most crucial off-seasons in years. So many decisions to be made. This is probably the best opportunity we will have for quite a while for a GM to put his stamp on this team. I hope they don’t just keep a bare bones staff, especially with Adams being so inexperienced. 

That's the problem.  Normally I would be encouraged and awaiting a new chapter.... but this doesnt add up.

I have never seen such a cleansing.  Sudden.  Adams was an internal hire too.  It's not like they got an established guy with his team of scouts and staff he has cultivated over the years.  This was kevyn adams' staff he knew.  As far as I know, Adams lacks the experience or credibility to build everything decisively to that extent.  All things normal...  Adams would probably prefer a lot of infrastructure remain in place.

And there is a draft coming up.  

And a week ago, ownership seemed to portray that everything was cool.  

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

I'm beginning to think the McDermott and Beane hiring was more the case of a broken clock being right twice a day than actual ownership competence.  The Sabres organization is the joke of the league right now.

IIRC, I seem to remember a story that after Sexy Rexy was fired, the league office gave the Pegula's help in crafting a list of potential HC candidates to choose from.  McD was the first candidate on that list interviewed and subsequently hired.  In turn, Sean's recommendation of Beane probably carried a lot of weight on the GM hire.

If so, the Pegula's really did benefit from the NFL's subtle prod, rather than prove they were astute judges of talent.    Sadly, without help like that, the Sabres are probably going to continue spinning their wheels...

1 hour ago, BillsFan4 said:

or it was a cost cutting move, but I’m not sure if AHL coaching contract are guaranteed like NHL contract are. If they are then it wouldn’t make much sense to fire him to save $$.

I don’t really know how the contracts work,  whether or not it can be converted into an NHL deal. If he needs a new contract to be in the NHL full time, they need to terminate the old one anyway (if it had any term remaining after this year). I think we need to just let the dust settle a bit on this one. My guess is that some of the people fired will be back when the season rolls around. 

1 hour ago, shrader said:

I don’t really know how the contracts work,  whether or not it can be converted into an NHL deal. If he needs a new contract to be in the NHL full time, they need to terminate the old one anyway (if it had any term remaining after this year). I think we need to just let the dust settle a bit on this one. My guess is that some of the people fired will be back when the season rolls around. 

You could be right (and I hope you are).

It'll be interesting to see what the Sabres do in the coming weeks as well as what other teams do. I am unaware of any other teams that have taken these types of measures yet. The coyotes fired 4 people but they immediately began searching for replacements. 

It'll be pretty embarrassing if we are one of the only teams to do something like this. I can’t imagine it would make Eichel very happy to see his team pinching pennies while other teams run with their full staffs and look for competitive advantages.

I can’t imagine they just leave all these positions vacant though. They do still have a draft and eventual season to prepare for. I’m fine with it if they take their time finding the right hires. But I’m not ok with them just leaving all those positions vacant, my legitimate fear right now. This doesn’t seem like it’s just a normal house cleaning that happens when you hire a new GM. This seems like something else that none of us have ever quite seen before.

38 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

You could be right (and I hope you are).

It'll be interesting to see what the Sabres do in the coming weeks as well as what other teams do. I am unaware of any other teams that have taken these types of measures yet. The coyotes fired 4 people but they immediately began searching for replacements. 

It'll be pretty embarrassing if we are one of the only teams to do something like this. I can’t imagine it would make Eichel very happy to see his team pinching pennies while other teams run with their full staffs and look for competitive advantages.

I can’t imagine they just leave all these positions vacant though. They do still have a draft and eventual season to prepare for. I’m fine with it if they take their time finding the right hires. But I’m not ok with them just leaving all those positions vacant, my legitimate fear right now. This doesn’t seem like it’s just a normal house cleaning that happens when you hire a new GM. This seems like something else that none of us have ever quite seen before.

Hockey heaven baby

• Sad 1