Botts Canned!

I just don't get what Adams brings to the table to right this ship.  There is nothing.  Groomed?  You groom people if you are a good organization and need to someday pass the torch.  Not a neverending pocket of dysfunction.  God knows what that grooms.  

Kruger is another one.  Uses nicely constructed words... but this is a guy with 2 incomplete NHL seasons of coaching under his belt.  Now we are elevating him to some sort of 'super-coach' who will also help out with GM duties?  It sounds like a terrible idea bound to fail.  

This is all so Kim Pegula can remain comfortable in her role.  That is all it is.  Toxic ownership. Dont believe for 1 second the Bills are safe.  

3 hours ago, BillsFan4 said:

They named him full time GM. No interim. He and Ralph will be working together, it sounds like.

?‍♂️

What that stayement tells me is the Pegula's absolutely know they need to become winners now and Botterill feels it should be done through years of developement.

The funny thing is they are both right but neither party appears to be the solution going forward.

23 minutes ago, May Day 10 said:

I just don't get what Adams brings to the table to right this ship.  There is nothing.  Groomed?  You groom people if you are a good organization and need to someday pass the torch.  Not a neverending pocket of dysfunction.  God knows what that grooms.  

Kruger is another one.  Uses nicely constructed words... but this is a guy with 2 incomplete NHL seasons of coaching under his belt.  Now we are elevating him to some sort of 'super-coach' who will also help out with GM duties?  It sounds like a terrible idea bound to fail.  

This is all so Kim Pegula can remain comfortable in her role.  That is all it is.  Toxic ownership. Dont believe for 1 second the Bills are safe.  

Now, you never know.

Bill Polian was elevated within the Bills organization once upon a time.

I will take a wait and see with Adams. I'm sure they asked him what his evaluation of team is and what they need to do to get better.

History is not on the Pegula's side but I will never fault them for their effort in trying to make the Sabres better.

Edited by Beast

48 minutes ago, May Day 10 said:

They need to find their "Beane-McDermott" for the Sabres. They have hit a HR with the Bills but continue to strikeout with the Sabres.

Just now, Greg S said:

They need to find their "Beane-McDermott" for the Sabres. They have hit a HR with the Bills but continue to strikeout with the Sabres.

The NHL doesnt work like that.  This is a mistake that you can see the Pegulas falling into from satellite.  

In the NFL.  All the power and clout eminates from the head coach.  he is your central figure and CEO of football.  The NFL is much more forgiving to change as there are no guaranteed contracts, and you could theoretically find like 7 immediate starters in a draft class.

The NHL is much more about organizational structure.  Scouting is so much more wide-reaching and advanced.  Development is a major pillar that doesnt really exist in the NFL.  Head coaches in the NHL are throw-away independent contractors.  The GM will cast the coach aside in 2 seconds if the team needs a kick in the butt.  

But the Pegulas seem to think that they have the NFL figured out and want to transpose that to the NHL.  They have been mystified by the Ralph Kruger six sigma shtick and it seems they are giving him the McDermott clout.  No NHL teams operate that way.  Also mind you, this is a coach with only 2 incomplete seasons under his belt, and really not a whole lot of NHL experience.  

3 hours ago, BillsVet said:

Well.  That Pegula vote of confidence was essentially Michael Corleone kissing his brother Fredo (not a reference to a media member).

The Italian kiss of death. ?

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=godfather+movie+michael+kisses+fredo&docid=608041642351529202&mid=C5052E6A345E85DF24F9C5052E6A345E85DF24F9&view=detail&FORM=VIRE

Just now, May Day 10 said:

The NHL doesnt work like that.  This is a mistake that you can see the Pegulas falling into from satellite.  

In the NFL.  All the power and clout eminates from the head coach.  he is your central figure and CEO of football.  The NFL is much more forgiving to change as there are no guaranteed contracts, and you could theoretically find like 7 immediate starters in a draft class.

The NHL is much more about organizational structure.  Scouting is so much more wide-reaching and advanced.  Development is a major pillar that doesnt really exist in the NFL.  Head coaches in the NHL are throw-away independent contractors.  The GM will cast the coach aside in 2 seconds if the team needs a kick in the butt.  

But the Pegulas seem to think that they have the NFL figured out and want to transpose that to the NHL.  They have been mystified by the Ralph Kruger six sigma shtick and it seems they are giving him the McDermott clout.  No NHL teams operate that way.  Also mind you, this is a coach with only 2 incomplete seasons under his belt, and really not a whole lot of NHL experience.  

As an Isles fan I can tell when the Isles hired Lou Lamoriello who then hired Barry Trotz it gave them their strongest management team since the Cup years with Bill Torrey and Al Arbour. Prior to Lou and Barry the Isles were horribly run. Yes their are differences with the NFL and NHL but you still need a strong management team in place if you want to succeed.

18 minutes ago, May Day 10 said:

Management 100%

Dont think Lamoriello wont throw Trotz away the second he thinks it is beneficial to do so.   They didnt hire Trotz, and then find some internal soft, inexperienced guy as GM.  

The Sabres spent 10 years grooming a guy to be GM. In those 10 years, he's learned all the lessons you can absorb from holding multiple positions in a perennial losing organization. 

Kevyn, I want the best for you and us, so good luck. 

But in general, WTF?

Well... that press conference didn’t quite inspire the confidence I was hoping it would.

I wish they’d have asked Adams more questions.

I have no clue what to expect from him as a GM. That’s true with any GM hire. You never really know until you see what they do on the job. But you usually at least feel like the candidates put their time in and are ready for the job. You’ve usually heard about them getting interviews around the league, or at least heard their name brought up in conversations for open GM positions. You can usually point to success they’ve had at some point as an exec. I don’t know that Adams was even on any other teams radar for a GM role (I have to believe he wasn’t). 

But who TF knows? Maybe he will be great. At least he does have a year on the business side and experience running the entire hockey ops at harborcenter. Plus he does have some relationships with players, coaches & GMs in the NHL from his playing days at least. 

I’m skeptical, to say the least. Not much I can do but wait and see, and hope for the best... (and hope that the Pegulas know something we don’t about Adams). I’m willing to give him a chance. He’s a buffalo guy too, so it’d be really cool to see him turn the Sabres into a winner.

7 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

Well... that press conference didn’t quite inspire the confidence I was hoping it would.

I wish they’d have asked Adams more questions.

I have no clue what to expect from him as a GM. That’s true with any GM hire. You never really know until you see what they do on the job. But you usually at least feel like the candidates put their time in and are ready for the job. You’ve usually heard about them getting interviews around the league, or at least heard their name brought up in conversations for open GM positions. You can usually point to success they’ve had at some point as an exec. I don’t know that Adams was even on any other teams radar for a GM role (I have to believe he wasn’t). 

But who TF knows? Maybe he will be great. At least he does have a year on the business side and experience running the entire hockey ops at harborcenter. Plus he does have some relationships with players, coaches & GMs in the NHL from his playing days at least. 

I’m skeptical, to say the least. Not much I can do but wait and see, and hope for the best... (and hope that the Pegulas know something we don’t about Adams). I’m willing to give him a chance. He’s a buffalo guy too, so it’d be really cool to see him turn the Sabres into a winner.

He's going to talk to every man, woman, and child in the country and get to know them.  

• Haha (+1) 2

All of Adams' answers were deferred to communicating with Kim, Terry, and Ralph.  That's all I need to hear to confirm.

The entire reason he got the job is he is willing to do 'communicate' and 'collaborate' (heard those words 100x in that PC).  A real GM wouldn't stand for that.  They want a bobblehead, and hired/promoted one.

Edited by May Day 10

5 minutes ago, May Day 10 said:

All of Adams' answers were deferred to communicating with Kim, Terry, and Ralph.  That's all I need to hear to confirm.

The entire reason he got the job is he is willing to do 'communicate' and 'collaborate' (heard those words 100x in that PC).  A real GM wouldn't stand for that.  They want a bobblehead, and hired/promoted one.

Nail on the head. 

I'm beginning to think the McDermott and Beane hiring was more the case of a broken clock being right twice a day than actual ownership competence.  The Sabres organization is the joke of the league right now.

• Thank you (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

I'm beginning to think the McDermott and Beane hiring was more the case of a broken clock being right twice a day than actual ownership competence.  The Sabres organization is the joke of the league right now.

I don't think things are as dark as that. Goaltending WAS the problem last year. Hutton couldn't friggin see straight! Linus got hurt and we were done, but the team was much better in front of them. I think this is a really good team right now, just add another goalie 

6 hours ago, Bangarang said:

Kevyn Adams has never been a GM and was working on the business side of things prior to this.  Someone can correct me if I'm wrong but Adams seems like a dumpster fire waiting to happen.

Unless he's just a detail guy for Krueger who will start making the personnel decisions?