Goodell opens door for Kaepernick return. How will this end? Take your bets!

How will this resolve?  

110 members have voted

1. 1. What will happen with Kaepernick and the NFL?

• A team will sign him (name the team)
    • He'll join the NFL front office
    • Kaepernick will remain out of the NFL entirely

6 hours ago, GregPersons said:

Momentum is building toward Kaepernick returning to the NFL.  Roger Goodell has officially encouraged NFL teams to sign Kaep, and also offered him an open-ended invitation to join the NFL league's office to fight racial injustice.

What an opportunity to test our TSW prognosticators. Here's a story that's headed toward some type of ending and new beginning. What do you think will happen? Or what should happen? 

Here's what I think should happen. Kaepernick would be a perfect fit for the LA Chargers.

Why? 

—Chargers need a reason for people to care about them. They are easily Los Angeles most forgettable team.

—LA is a very pro-Kaepernick city, as opposed to say, Nashville or Buffalo or Jacksonville

—The new stadium in Inglewood would absolutely sell more tickets with Kaepernick playing, just on principle he would receive support, even if they go 0-16

—For as much as the Spanos family are garbage, they owe the NFL for helping them get such a prime relocation after failing to get a new San Diego stadium... they would owe it to the NFL to take "the risk" of signing Kaep. 

Despite a certain moderator with a Christmas Story avatar mocking this suggestion in the "Kaep to NE" thread, apparently I'm not the only one to think the Chargers make sense for Kaep -- https://boltbeat.com/2020/06/15/la-chargers-colin-kaepernick-flier/

Anyway. What do you think will happen? 

I think he will sign with a team at some point, not sure he makes the roster or not, just depends on where he lands and how he plays after 4 years out of the league.  I do think the idea of Chargers makes sense for the reasons you stated, but I also think simultaneously it makes no football sense given they already have TT who they like a lot and just drafted the guy to groom for their future.  People can say what they want about TT, but he's a great locker room guy and teammate, so I doubt they are going to see Kap as a guy that will challenge him given they aren't that different of a player on the field, but Kap also has not stepped on a field in 4 years.  

To be honest, I don't see many places where it makes "football sense" to sign him given lots of openings were filled with the draft and FA already at this point.  Plus Newton is still out there, and from a football perspective only, there is no way any other available QB should get a job before him as he is by far the best on the market and top 15 QB in the NFL still as a starter without question.  

Maybe NE, Was, Chi, Jax or Car would kick the tires given they don't exactly have settled QB situations there.   Most seem unlikely even though they have less settled QB depth charts.  Maybe the Steelers recognizing they are SB contender with Big Ben, but a non-playoff team if he again gets hurt kicks the tires to see if he could be a better option if Ben goes down again.  But, in all cases here, Cam still would be a substantial better option than Kap anyway.

As a backup, I think teams with mobile QB's could kick the tires like even Buffalo (neither Fromm or Barkley share a single player trait with Allen in terms of on field ability), Houston, KC, Seattle, AZ, etc.  But in all those cases, it would be to solely compete as a backup with no shot at pushing the starters there.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

Note to friends.  Consider stop responding to each other over and over as I just scanned and the marathon posts are just banter and has nothing to do with the Bills or the NFL other than general social issues which are important.  I do my best to make a comment and at most one personal response and then out.  Have fun if you want to keep going but I’m done and not saying anything more on it.

Everyone not making personal attacks has points on both sides.  Just going down a rabbit hole.  Have fun. New Bills thread?  All over it.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 3