Goodell opens door for Kaepernick return. How will this end? Take your bets!

How will this resolve?  

110 members have voted

1. 1. What will happen with Kaepernick and the NFL?

• A team will sign him (name the team)
    • He'll join the NFL front office
    • Kaepernick will remain out of the NFL entirely

1 hour ago, ProcessYaDigg said:

In the end, bringing Kaep back into a football uniform doesn't make sense and it won't benefit anyone or solve any problems.  What the NFL should do is bring him in as a sounding board member or hold some position within the league that combats racism within the league.  The overall issue here shouldn't be whether or not Kaep should play in the NFL again.  The overall issue we should be discussing is how Kaep can contribute to eliminating racism as much as possible.  Kaep brought attention to the situation to all of America with a single kneel.  but change doesn't work that way.  You have to take baby steps.  Bring awareness to the locker room and change one locker room at a time within the NFL.  After the NFL is understanding of this awareness and understand that changes need to be made by each individual, then the league can then branch out to their own respective community.  Than those communities reach out to other communities within the states.  Change starts with each individual and within their own house.  Real change isn't going to happen to all of America overnight.  it's just impossible.  Goodell needs to get his house (the NFL) in order first and I think that would be a beneficial way in utilizing Kaep.  Don't open the door for him just to play.  Open the door for him to make changes throughout the NFL and possibly the rest of America.  The NFL has an opportunity on their hands if they choose to handle this the right way.

Why so much talk about Racism all of a sudden?  And what the hell does it have to do with the football field and an NFL locker room?  What racism is going on in the NFL?  There should be talk about police brutality and better police training.  I don't think its a racial thing as much as a power trip by police.  They treat most *****.  Get rid of the bad cops and things will be a whole lot better.  And I don't care what race you are.  Don't commit crimes, and you won't get in trouble to begin with.  I have 3 kids 17 to 22.  Two boys and a girl.  All three are not afraid to scrap especially when partying.  So when they act up they can suffer the consequences.  They know it.  And will have to deal with it if they get caught causing a ruckus.  It should be the same with everyone.  People need to hold themselves accountable for their actions.  Black white yellow or brown.  And so do cops when they step out of line or over the line.  But that certainly doesn't mean racism is rampant in our society.  That is just a ridiculous fallacy.  

If Kaepernick is good enuf to make an NFL roster he should be given the chance.  Simple as that.  He seems to come off as somewhat of a weirdo.  But that is just one man's impression.  If he has game still good.  If not, bye bye and go get a job like the rest of society.  I don't need him representing anything in our country.  He aint no Abraham Lincoln.  What the NFL needs to do is figure out why there are only 3 black head coaches in 2020.  When the league is at least two thirds black players.  That is where the problem is.  Guys like Jason Garrett Matt Patricia Patt Shurmur and Jay Gruden are head coaches.  Just a bunch of ineffectual white guys.  Bring in some fiery ex black NFL players as head coaches.  A guy like a Brian Dawkins, or someone of that ilk.  That is what the league needs.  That is where the racism exists in football.  

All the rest of the talk about the NFL leading change.  Why?  And who cares?  Stick to football.  Goodell can barely do that right.  And why not bring in a black commissioner?  Someone with some swag and clout.  I vote for Primetime.  

5 hours ago, GregPersons said:

Momentum is building toward Kaepernick returning to the NFL.  Roger Goodell has officially encouraged NFL teams to sign Kaep, and also offered him an open-ended invitation to join the NFL league's office to fight racial injustice.

What an opportunity to test our TSW prognosticators. Here's a story that's headed toward some type of ending and new beginning. What do you think will happen? Or what should happen? 

Here's what I think should happen. Kaepernick would be a perfect fit for the LA Chargers.

Why? 

—Chargers need a reason for people to care about them. They are easily Los Angeles most forgettable team.

—LA is a very pro-Kaepernick city, as opposed to say, Nashville or Buffalo or Jacksonville

—The new stadium in Inglewood would absolutely sell more tickets with Kaepernick playing, just on principle he would receive support, even if they go 0-16

—For as much as the Spanos family are garbage, they owe the NFL for helping them get such a prime relocation after failing to get a new San Diego stadium... they would owe it to the NFL to take "the risk" of signing Kaep. 

Despite a certain moderator with a Christmas Story avatar mocking this suggestion in the "Kaep to NE" thread, apparently I'm not the only one to think the Chargers make sense for Kaep -- https://boltbeat.com/2020/06/15/la-chargers-colin-kaepernick-flier/

Anyway. What do you think will happen? 

He does NOT want to play in the NFL.  He sabotaged his own showcase last year.  If he does sign, he'll not be the starter and then quit, claiming he got screwed.  Media will once again chastise the NFL.  

4 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Well, this isn't really a discussion of whether capitalism and private corporate ownership should exist though, is it?  Find me an employee who doesn't think he/she  works harder than the boss/owner.

Players of what are essentially kids games, like employees of nearly any company/business,  are free to start their own, employee-owned similar business if they wish.  Many such companies exist if nearly every field of business in this country.

It would be interesting to see what would happen in a completely player-run/owned NFL.  With nearly half of each roster currently making under a million a year (cap money), how many of them would be up for a couple  of their team mates sucking up over half the cap?  I bet none.  How many league super-stars would be willing to take the 1/53rd of the cap each year as their pay?  None.

Anyway, pointing out the obvious isn't "picking a side"..this is the owners' likely response to such a position proposal for Kaep.  They see him as a guy who can be paid off---they already have done so once to settle his collusion suit.  

It all kind of comes down to ownership/labor here, doesn't it? Kaepernick is an example of a lot of divisions & contradictions in America's morality.

I'd also like to see a player-run league because, we're different on this, I just don't give money or capital or owners that much credit for actually doing much. It's looting that we just kind of accept as normal, even though, if you look at it with fresh eyes, it's actually really bizarre. 

I would say especially with basketball, where what's necessary to make a game happen is a lot easier than football, what purpose is there to have an NBA owner? What value are they providing? As an investor? Yes, be an investor. An owner? What is owned? The clothing? The logo? 

There's other buildings. Clothes and logos are cheap. Why are ball players — and then, really, everybody — so willing to sell themselves short and take the first offer? It's a losing mentality overall.

There's a lot of power in athletes hands. But fans & owners really like the version where athletes are employees or, even... well, the word you might use for an unpaid employee but whom you generously provide room and board and meals and a nice education and gosh what an opportunity to work hard out in the fields. What's the word? Ah yes. College football players.

The exploitation has always been the point. 

Just now, teef said:

This place has officially become the capital of crazy town. 

Why?

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, GregPersons said:

People's reactions to the pig socks, I think, are the worse offense. My sister-in-law is the same way as you, it's her biggest offense to the whole thing. Her brother's a cop; her parents are out and out racists. My brother, less so, but far more willing to tolerate it, obviously. 

My reaction to pig socks, personally is as follows: Pig socks? Who gives a crap? Are you kidding me? People are getting murdered in the streets, for no reason, and there is no repercussions for this. It is not considered a crime. And you're quibbling over the man's footwear? White culture is so full of lies and deception, it's nightmarish, and any white people who recognize it and can speak against it, ought to, because it's disgraceful. Instead of judging another man's socks, try imaginging yourself in them, imagining yourself in the position where you felt like that expressed your feeling. Pretend you have to live someone else's life. Empathy!

To your question. Have you not looked into this at all? He has been active. Also. Why is this his responsibility alone? Why wouldn't it be okay if just raising the issue was his role and that was it? Why does he have to identify it, notify you, sacrifice his career, and then also, btw, solve a 400+ year problem that's been ignored forever, and do it before kickoff.

Why are White people culturally so resistant to responsibility? They/we preach it ALL THE TIME... and yet on race... something White Culture invented and implemented... no responsibility, whatsoever. Always deferral. Always. It is so ghoulish and cowardly, I can't tell you how much it sickens me, tbh. Because it's optional. It's not necessary. White people, as a cultural force, could stop obstructing and work to be helpful to their fellow countrymen. It's really shameful, IMO, that the White race has no history of helping anyone but themselves. Imagine living in a time where maybe that would be different. It's very hard to do - da do-  da - do....

You are saying Dak donating money to the police is helpful, but just dismissing all of the money and causes and everything Kaepernick is doing... just the willingness to be so dismissive, that alone...... you're not getting it, man. You're choosing to not get it.

So, I'm not gonna make you get it. 

I just want you to know, it's really easy to watch you and see you choose to not get it. You're lying to me, or you're lying to yourself, but you are making the choice. You know what you are doing.

I do find it interesting that people keep talking about "White Culture" and "Black Culture" as if all white and black people fit nicely into those two categories.

The truth is there are hundreds, if not thousands, of white and black cultures throughout the United States. It's far different being a white person in California than it is a white person in South Carolina, or Idaho, or Texas.

People don't fit nicely into these extremely broad and sweeping cultural identities. Simplifying and generalizing is probably what so many people have issue with. We keep getting told "this is your white culture" or "this is your black culture" and we think "no, that's not my culture at all".

And how each of these cultures interact with other races (and each other) is different, sometimes incredibly different.

I do not think it is right to throw every white person into a bucket and every black person into a different bucket. It's just not accurate at all. I am sure there are places throughout America where white and black people get along just fine and there are very few issues. And I am also certain there are places where white and black people do not mingle at all and there is a ton of tension and racism at work.

But people need to look within their own hearts and judge. Do I harbor negative or damaging feelings about other cultures? About women? About men? About the LGBT community? About religions? About poor or rich people? And it is the individual's job to root that out. Then you look to your family and your local community and work to be a catalyst to root it out there as well.

• Awesome! (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, MJS said:

I do find it interesting that people keep talking about "White Culture" and "Black Culture" as if all white and black people fit nicely into those two categories.

The truth is there are hundreds, if not thousands, of white and black cultures throughout the United States. It's far different being a white person in California than it is a white person in South Carolina, or Idaho, or Texas.

People don't fit nicely into these extremely broad and sweeping cultural identities. Simplifying and generalizing is probably what so many people have issue with. We keep getting told "this is your white culture" or "this is your black culture" and we think "no, that's not my culture at all".

And how each of these cultures interact with other races (and each other) is different, sometimes incredibly different.

I do not think it is right to throw every white person into a bucket and every black person into a different bucket. It's just not accurate at all. I am sure there are places throughout America where white and black people get along just fine and there are very few issues. And I am also certain there are places where white and black people do not mingle at all and there is a ton of tension and racism at work.

But people need to look within their own hearts and judge. Do I harbor negative or damaging feelings about other cultures? About women? About men? About the LGBT community? About religions? About poor or rich people? And it is the individual's job to root that out. Then you look to your family and your local community and work to be a catalyst to root it out there as well.

I don't think they do either; what you're suggesting I'm suggesting is not what I'm suggesting, lol. I don't think everybody fits into these categories.

People are people, on the individual level. And yet, also, group behavior is real. Both can be true and observable. 

The thing you're misunderstanding — not maliciously, but just, this is part of where we are not taught about this stuff — racism has nothing to do really with what you feel in your heart. It's not really the issue, actually. The issue is the systemic societal ways in which people are dehumanized.

It's important to remember that this is talking about government policy and government behavior. Not asking to change everyone into cuddly happy neighbors; sure it would be nice. But the main thing is -- legally -- from the way the law operates -- things are not equal

You can even still hate black people and be against racism. You can be like "i think they all smell funny" and also loudly be like "BREONNA TAYLORS MURDERERS MUST BE BROUGHT TO JUSTICE" or whatever.

Do you see what I am saying?  

Part of it is an age thing, which is also, a generational understanding. The message in the 60s-00s on race was "if you dont hate people, if you tolerate others, you're not racist."  The realization recently is that's not enough. It's deeper, it's more subtle, it's more baked in to the very core, and can't be ignored away.

Edited by GregPersons

5 hours ago, Putin said:

Kaep was a 3rd QB on a depth chart when he decided to LEAVE the 49ers , I can’t even remember the names of the two QB’s that were ahead of him , 

The guy SUCKS if not for the killing of George Floyd we wouldn’t be talking about him 

His final year in the NFL he played in 12 games......2241 passing yards, 16 passing touchdowns and only 4 interceptions, he also rushed for over 400 yards and 2 rushing touchdowns . Nathan Peterman is still on an NFL roster. 

Just now, GregPersons said:

I don't think they do either. People are people, on the individual level. And yet, also, group behavior is real. Both can be true and observable. 

Not on such a large scale.

2 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

Or when you QB the (next to) worst offense in the league.  He couldn't generate any points.

Brees was lighting it up.  It's a poorly thought out comparison, lacking logic.

Except you can easily look a Kaepernick's own stats and credit losses to that.  His stats are nothing like Brees's--no mateer how many games the Saints loss.  As opposed to  the 49ers, The Saints losses were not also a function of QB play. 

The comparison was poorly made when you compare a marginal NFL qb to a HOFer.  I do think his 2016 numbers aren't as bad as the record indicates.  Saying he was 1-10 doesn't say - the defense was terrible, Hyde was banged up, the top 3 receivers are currently all out of football, and the line was inexperienced across the board outside of staley.  He didn't necessarily prop them up, but i don't think he was driving them towards a 2-14 record.  

4 minutes ago, streetkings01 said:

His final year in the NFL he played in 12 games......2241 passing yards, 16 passing touchdowns and only 4 interceptions, he also rushed for over 400 yards and 2 rushing touchdowns . Nathan Peterman is still on an NFL roster. 

Do you honestly believe that Kaep would get up in the morning for what Peterman is making??

Edited by Putin
  • Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, GregPersons said:

It all kind of comes down to ownership/labor here, doesn't it? Kaepernick is an example of a lot of divisions & contradictions in America's morality.

I'd also like to see a player-run league because, we're different on this, I just don't give money or capital or owners that much credit for actually doing much. It's looting that we just kind of accept as normal, even though, if you look at it with fresh eyes, it's actually really bizarre. 

I would say especially with basketball, where what's necessary to make a game happen is a lot easier than football, what purpose is there to have an NBA owner? What value are they providing? As an investor? Yes, be an investor. An owner? What is owned? The clothing? The logo? 

There's other buildings. Clothes and logos are cheap. Why are ball players — and then, really, everybody — so willing to sell themselves short and take the first offer? It's a losing mentality overall.

There's a lot of power in athletes hands. But fans & owners really like the version where athletes are employees or, even... well, the word you might use for an unpaid employee but whom you generously provide room and board and meals and a nice education and gosh what an opportunity to work hard out in the fields. What's the word? Ah yes. College football players.

The exploitation has always been the point. 

Why?

Because they know playing a kid's game has made them fabulously wealthy---isn't that the American Dream?

Anyway, as I said,  the players in all leagues could do as you suggest at any time.  Tomorrow, every NFL player can walk out of the league and, with their riches, simply form a new league where they own the teams.  The NFL would immediately cease to exist.  They would have total control.

So why don't they?  Surely they could rent out some "other buildings" and put on other clothing and any logo they choose.  They have the power to do just what you say, yet they have never even discussed such a move.  Why is that?  Are they so beat down, as pampered athletes playing a game "out in the fields" (good one, because it is true--they play on fields!) making an average working person's lifetime earning in 17 weeks, that they have become sheep who cannot see their way outside their gilded pen?  Are they brainwashed?

No.  They understand that they have parlayed a physical gift and hard work into an incredibly lucrative career-----by exactly following the path as it has existed.  And let's face it, the top 10% in salary have zero interest in sharing any of that with their colleagues who are far less compensated for the same job and the same sacrifice.

If they agreed with you, it would have happened.  They clearly do not agree with you.

17 minutes ago, dneveu said:

The comparison was poorly made when you compare a marginal NFL qb to a HOFer.  I do think his 2016 numbers aren't as bad as the record indicates.  Saying he was 1-10 doesn't say - the defense was terrible, Hyde was banged up, the top 3 receivers are currently all out of football, and the line was inexperienced across the board outside of staley.  He didn't necessarily prop them up, but i don't think he was driving them towards a 2-14 record.  

As I posted above.  What happened to that offense the next year with Shanahan and 3 different QBs?  Instant improvement in Offense.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Teddy KGB said:

what sort of talents will he bring to the “front office”    

Well he’s a BIG fan of Fidel Castro maybe he could join the “ SQUAD “ 

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, teef said:

This place has officially become the capital of crazy town. 

Which would be appropriate.

Were you here when they announced that Rob Johnson would start over Doug Flutie in the playoffs? Ohhhhhh, what a fun time that was on this board.

Edited by Mark Vader
  • Like (+1) 2

39 minutes ago, RobbRiddick said:

It's pretty embarrassing how some companies only do the 'right' thing when they see no other way out, other than negative press and loss of revenue. 

And that's exactly the world we live in right now. Everyone putting on a fake mask and pretending to care so they don't get fired, boycotted, and/or targeted with criticisms.

• Thank you (+1) 1