Goodell opens door for Kaepernick return. How will this end? Take your bets!

How will this resolve?  

110 members have voted

1. 1. What will happen with Kaepernick and the NFL?

• A team will sign him (name the team)
    • He'll join the NFL front office
    • Kaepernick will remain out of the NFL entirely

54 minutes ago, Just Joshin' said:

Here is the list of marginal QBs who took 3 years off and came back to be a successful starter:

Warner played in the AFL/NFL europe between college and the NFL.  Not sure how long flutie was out of the NFL but it was probably a while.  Vick spent 2 years in prison - then signed with philly and sat for a year.  Cunningham took a year off and came back as a backup before starting a year later. 

I don't think they all fit the exact 3 years off or whatever, but i think QB coaching has changed quite a bit since then.  If he's kept up working out etc.  

Edited by dneveu
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Just now, dneveu said:

Warner played in the AFL/NFL europe between college and the NFL.  Not sure how long flutie was out of the NFL but it was probably a while.  Vick spent 2 years in prison - then signed with philly and sat for a year.  

warner and flutie were at least still playing at a competitive level.  vick is really the exception.  

30 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Actually Brees had 3 straight 7 win seasons.  During that period, he averaged over 5000 yards, and 34 TDs.   Prior to that stretch, he had another 7-9 season where he put up 5177 yards and 43 TDs.  And had already won a SB.

Not sure what your logic was trying to achieve comparing Kaepernick's sputtering career to Brees's team's record while he was tearing up the NFL.

The point was he using win-loss record to say how successful a qb was.  A lot of qbs would have won a bunch of games on the Bills last year.  Using win-loss record as a go to argument is pretty stupid.  Aaron Rodgers has had losing seasons.  Pat Mahomes lost a game where his team scored 45 points.  Blanket use of win-loss record for qbs is flat out dumb.  

the 2016 49ers were one of the worst rosters in recent history.   https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/sfo/2016.htm  I wonder how many games Allen would win with the 32nd ranked defense and his top targets being Kerley and Patton (who I never even heard of it)? 

it’s one thing to not like his kneeling.  It’s completely disingenuous to pretend like he was some awful qb and was the reason that crappy roster wasn’t winning.  

Edited by C.Biscuit97

1 minute ago, Teddy KGB said:

Still waiting on those front office accolades.  

He must a good scout or something, huh ??‍♂️??‍♂️

Scout?  Did you, by chance, read about this at all?  By read, I mean get past the headline.  Give it a shot.  It's amazing to read things and form your own opinions instead of being told how to feel about everything.  I highly recommend.  With that .. good day.

• Haha (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, dneveu said:

So is QB the only way to win games?  That 2-14 team under chip had the worst defense in the NFL.  Should that lay only on him?  

I think the logic is that, its hard to win games with the worst defense in the NFL.

Or when you QB the (next to) worst offense in the league.  He couldn't generate any points.

Brees was lighting it up.  It's a poorly thought out comparison, lacking logic.

5 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

The point was he using win-loss record to say how successful a qb was.  A lot of qbs would have won a bunch of games on the Bills last year.  Using win-loss record as a go to argument is pretty stupid.  Aaron Rodgers has had losing seasons.  Pat Mahomes lost a game where his team scored 45 points.  Blanket use of win-loss record for qbs is flat out dumb.  

the 2016 49ers were one of the worst rosters in recent history. 

Except you can easily look a Kaepernick's own stats and credit losses to that.  His stats are nothing like Brees's--no mateer how many games the Saints loss.  As opposed to  the 49ers, The Saints losses were not also a function of QB play. 

Edited by Mr. WEO
  • Like (+1) 2

12 minutes ago, dneveu said:

Yeah, i'm definitely reaching.  But he played a fair amount of games prior to 2017, he knows how to prepare, and probably has continued to work on his own, but who knows.

agreed. i have to imagine he's stayed in playing shape.  it could be an interesting story.

23 minutes ago, Gugny said:

I agree 100%.

I also think that Kaepernick can be most effective in the front office, which is what I hope he ends up doing.

I see a team putting them on their roster, but never in their front office.  

21 minutes ago, dneveu said:

Warner played in the AFL/NFL europe between college and the NFL.  Not sure how long flutie was out of the NFL but it was probably a while.  Vick spent 2 years in prison - then signed with philly and sat for a year.  Cunningham took a year off and came back as a backup before starting a year later. 

I don't think they all fit the exact 3 years off or whatever, but i think QB coaching has changed quite a bit since then.  If he's kept up working out etc.  

I wish I could give this post 4 Lombardis. 

Also. Kaepernick's situation is overall unprecedented. There's not a lot of other QBs, "marginal" or otherwise, who were blacklisted for 3 years. 

And, unprecedented =/= impossible. It was unprecedented to go to 4 Super Bowls, or a QB to play in a SB in his 40s, etc. 

5 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Or when you QB the (next to) worst offense in the league.  He couldn't generate any points.

Brees was lighting it up.  It's a poorly thought out comparison, lacking logic.

Except you can easily look a Kaepernick's own stats and credit losses to that.  His stats are nothing like Brees's--no mateer how many games the Saints loss.  As opposed to  the 49ers, The Saints losses were not also a function of QB play. to QB play.

Stop.  You know the point I was making.  

CK, who isn’t good enough for the NFl according to some, had better passing stats to Allen who went to the playoffs last year.  Allen would have sucked in that SF situation as every qb would have it.  That team was complete garbage. 

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, teef said:

agreed. i have to imagine he's stayed in playing shape.  it could be an interesting story.

How shocking would it be, really, if he played better than before? Everyone - not you specifically, just, the larger narrative around this - we all seem to be so certain Kaep would be worse, or at best, as good as he was before. I just love when people are so certain about the future, in general. (Not for nothing but I called Trump, as well; didn't want it, wasn't hoping for it, saw it coming a year in advance. Can't prove it, believe it or don't, w/e). Just saying! There is no definite anything

How cynical do we have to be about the human body and the physique and etc needed to play QB, especially now, where people are in better overall shape than ever and active at older ages?  Brady is in his 40s.  I get that they play a different kind of ball, but that's what I'm saying — Kaep having time off to heal his body, it's not wholly dissimilar to Gronkowski taking a year off or whatever, and who knows how that will go. 

1 hour ago, GregPersons said:

The NFL botched this not only morally, but as a business.

They proved they couldn't predict a rainstorm in a hurricane. They could have EASILY had the nuts to just get behind Kaep to begin with, do a BLM month like with cancer and all the other causes, and just have a little backbone in standing up to the loud racists, including Trump. 

Did the NFL think the issue would go away? Did the NFL think their blacklisting Kaep and turning him into a martyr was going to make him less influential? 

You know what I mean? Like even separate from the fact that, on a human being level, the NFL behaved monstrously.... just in terms of having confidence in their ability to predict the future or read the market, this was a MASSIVE failure. 

Kaep would be well within his right to tell them to go screw. But I just don't think that's his character.

Kaepernick is not a victim.

He knew what he was doing and he brought it all on himself.

It's true that the NFL didn't know how to handle the whole situation, but they would have been screwed either way.

5 hours ago, GregPersons said:

Despite a certain moderator with a Christmas Story avatar mocking this suggestion in the "Kaep to NE" thread, apparently I'm not the only one to think the Chargers make sense for Kaep -- https://boltbeat.com/2020/06/15/la-chargers-colin-kaepernick-flier/

Anyway. What do you think will happen? 

I think that you should continue to throw digs at the moderators and see what happens.

Edited by Bill from NYC
  • Haha (+1) 3

1 hour ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

God, this is dumb.  Please tell me this is an act and you don’t really think like this.  Drew Brees (hero!!!) went 7-9 2 straight seasons.  Those playoff Josh > Drew Brees.  This is right by this dumb logic.

Are you telling us all that Colin Kaepernick is a far more superior QB than Josh Allen is right now, and will continue to be the better of the two in the future?