Goodell opens door for Kaepernick return. How will this end? Take your bets!

How will this resolve?  

110 members have voted

1. 1. What will happen with Kaepernick and the NFL?

• A team will sign him (name the team)
    • He'll join the NFL front office
    • Kaepernick will remain out of the NFL entirely

2 minutes ago, Mark Vader said:

The pig socks and him not voting spoke volumes to me.

Still to this day I have yet to see Kaepernick do anything to bring about real change to the problems in the country. Has he ever once met with any city, county, or state government officials to discuss any type of reform?

Yes, I know he gives a lot to charity and that is a very good thing. That alone, will not fix the problem.

Dak Prescott donating a million dollars towards police reform, shows more to me than anything else that Kaepernick has done. 

People's reactions to the pig socks, I think, are the worse offense. My sister-in-law is the same way as you, it's her biggest offense to the whole thing. Her brother's a cop; her parents are out and out racists. My brother, less so, but far more willing to tolerate it, obviously. 

My reaction to pig socks, personally is as follows: Pig socks? Who gives a crap? Are you kidding me? People are getting murdered in the streets, for no reason, and there is no repercussions for this. It is not considered a crime. And you're quibbling over the man's footwear? White culture is so full of lies and deception, it's nightmarish, and any white people who recognize it and can speak against it, ought to, because it's disgraceful. Instead of judging another man's socks, try imaginging yourself in them, imagining yourself in the position where you felt like that expressed your feeling. Pretend you have to live someone else's life. Empathy!

To your question. Have you not looked into this at all? He has been active. Also. Why is this his responsibility alone? Why wouldn't it be okay if just raising the issue was his role and that was it? Why does he have to identify it, notify you, sacrifice his career, and then also, btw, solve a 400+ year problem that's been ignored forever, and do it before kickoff.

Why are White people culturally so resistant to responsibility? They/we preach it ALL THE TIME... and yet on race... something White Culture invented and implemented... no responsibility, whatsoever. Always deferral. Always. It is so ghoulish and cowardly, I can't tell you how much it sickens me, tbh. Because it's optional. It's not necessary. White people, as a cultural force, could stop obstructing and work to be helpful to their fellow countrymen. It's really shameful, IMO, that the White race has no history of helping anyone but themselves. Imagine living in a time where maybe that would be different. It's very hard to do - da do-  da - do....

You are saying Dak donating money to the police is helpful, but just dismissing all of the money and causes and everything Kaepernick is doing... just the willingness to be so dismissive, that alone...... you're not getting it, man. You're choosing to not get it.

So, I'm not gonna make you get it. 

I just want you to know, it's really easy to watch you and see you choose to not get it. You're lying to me, or you're lying to yourself, but you are making the choice. You know what you are doing.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

Just now, TheProcess said:

I agree. Or even coaching for that matter. Say what you will about Harbaugh at Michigan, but the guy was a damn good NFL coach. Worst season record was his last at 8-8. Coaching matters folks. Kaepernick was still developing when Harbaugh left. Who knows what his trajectory would’ve been if Harbs stuck around. Jim Tomsula and Chip Kelly were awful. 

Ron Jaworski, not exactly the best but whatever, once said CK had a chance to be the best quarterback ever.  That’s how he was thought of at one point.  And now he can’t play in the year because he’s not good enough?  Lies.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, GregPersons said:

People's reactions to the pig socks, I think, are the worse offense. My sister-in-law is the same way as you, it's her biggest offense to the whole thing. Her brother's a cop; her parents are out and out racists. My brother, less so, but far more willing to tolerate it, obviously. 

My reaction to pig socks, personally is as follows: Pig socks? Who gives a crap? Are you kidding me? People are getting murdered in the streets, for no reason, and there is no repercussions for this. It is not considered a crime. And you're quibbling over the man's footwear? White culture is so full of lies and deception, it's nightmarish, and any white people who recognize it and can speak against it, ought to, because it's disgraceful. Instead of judging another man's socks, try imaginging yourself in them, imagining yourself in the position where you felt like that expressed your feeling. Pretend you have to live someone else's life. Empathy!

To your question. Have you not looked into this at all? He has been active. Also. Why is this his responsibility alone? Why wouldn't it be okay if just raising the issue was his role and that was it? Why does he have to identify it, notify you, sacrifice his career, and then also, btw, solve a 400+ year problem that's been ignored forever, and do it before kickoff.

Why are White people culturally so resistant to responsibility? They/we preach it ALL THE TIME... and yet on race... something White Culture invented and implemented... no responsibility, whatsoever. Always deferral. Always. It is so ghoulish and cowardly, I can't tell you how much it sickens me, tbh. Because it's optional. It's not necessary. White people, as a cultural force, could stop obstructing and work to be helpful to their fellow countrymen. It's really shameful, IMO, that the White race has no history of helping anyone but themselves. Imagine living in a time where maybe that would be different. It's very hard to do - da do-  da - do....

You are saying Dak donating money to the police is helpful, but just dismissing all of the money and causes and everything Kaepernick is doing... just the willingness to be so dismissive, that alone...... you're not getting it, man. You're choosing to not get it.

So, I'm not gonna make you get it. 

I just want you to know, it's really easy to watch you and see you choose to not get it. You're lying to me, or you're lying to yourself, but you are making the choice. You know what you are doing.

So the Fidel Castro shirt is just to be shrugged off too?

Just now, BillsFan17 said:

So the Fidel Castro shirt is just to be shrugged off too?

Who cares????? Why is this the bigger offense????

Why is this what triggers you? The violence, eh probably fine. THE SHIRT THOUGH, OH MY GOD

It's just ridiculous. 

3 minutes ago, GregPersons said:

Why is this what triggers you? The violence, eh probably fine. THE SHIRT THOUGH, OH MY GOD

It's just ridiculous. 

Where did I say it was the bigger offense? I asked if the shirt should be shrugged off too?

If someone if putting those types of morals literally on their sleeve, this doesn't change the message at all?

Promoting one of the absolute worst dictators of all time, its not triggering me, not in the least, it just bears attention.

• Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, GregPersons said:

It's just ridiculous. 

The people who say that are the same people who don’t understand what a player got upset at Mike Gundy for his shirt!

He probably shouldn’t have wore than shirt.  But it’s so weird that some people hold athletes to higher standards than politicians.  I can point to a million worse things that politicians have done than wearing a t shirt.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, BillsFan17 said:

Where did I say it was the bigger offense? I asked if the shirt should be shrugged off too?

If someone if putting those types of morals literally on their sleeve, this doesn't change the message at all?

Promoting one of the absolute worst dictators of all time, its not triggering me, not in the least, it just bears attention.

Okay fair enough. I apologize for the many question marks.  So let me rephrase. It's a separate issue. If Kaepernick were running for mayor, okay, let's talk about it. But he's not. It doesn't matter. It's a side issue. It's a distraction from the subject. I agree he shouldn't have worn it, for the simple fact, I don't want to be talking about it like it holds any equal weight to the topic of police violence, which is the right issue to protest, the right issue to be mad about, and the right issue to talk about. We can talk about the relative good and evil results from Fidel Castro another time. I don't know why he wore it. I could get more into the fact that America is no saint, either, and Cuba's crimes are probably overall less ghastly than America's, if we want to get really real about it. But I don't see a point in that.

He shouldn't need to be --- we shouldn't need him to be perfect for us to listen, and to be able to recognize the truth when it is spoken. It says a lot that the truth in America is now highly, highly conditional.  It also says a lot about how much we don't want to hear certain messages. America's big legacy, 100s of years from now, I'm convinced, is going to be mind control and delusion. From Hollywood movies to most of the CIA's activities during the 20th century at least, to I'd argue the founding documents knowingly misrepresenting the ideals and meanings of "people" and "freedom" and so forth.... I don't know if there has ever been a more powerful propaganda machine in the history of the world. For a fun / horrifying read of history, look into COINTLEPRO. Not just a cursory one or two line explainer. Get into the weeds on at least a wikipedia page or something, because, bro... we're just all so massively underestimating the efforts that have been taken so that even our interactions, and interactions like ours, will inevitably fall off the track and away from the central issue.

It sounds too wild to be true. It's funny/sad too that, like, Q anon people who love conspiracy theories, don't believe the ones that definitively happened. Tulsa Race Massacre, most of us found out about this because of Watchmen on HBO — it's not taught in schools. It was suppressed. There's a way harder truth too in that the words we use to talk about "race" is like... ah, I can't even begin to bother to get into it again. But just, why aren't there more words besides race, racism, racist? Well, there are. There were in fact, equivalent conjugations, and theories and schools of thought, of derivative words from "the N word." That's how we thought about this, as Americans, until .... our grandfathers generation? Maybe ?

Bottom line... we haven't wanted to ever talk about race, and that's not an accident. and ignoring it doesn't help. and trying to yell shut up at the problem doesn't solve it either.

• Like (+1) 3

42 minutes ago, Mark Vader said:

Are you telling us all that Colin Kaepernick is a far more superior QB than Josh Allen is right now, and will continue to be the better of the two in the future?

He’s trying to say that football is a team game and a QBs win/loss Isn’t solely based on how good they are. In some situations, the team a QB is on will make them look better than they are.  In some cases, the team will make the qb look worse than they are.  

• Awesome! (+1) 1

In the end, bringing Kaep back into a football uniform doesn't make sense and it won't benefit anyone or solve any problems.  What the NFL should do is bring him in as a sounding board member or hold some position within the league that combats racism within the league.  The overall issue here shouldn't be whether or not Kaep should play in the NFL again.  The overall issue we should be discussing is how Kaep can contribute to eliminating racism as much as possible.  Kaep brought attention to the situation to all of America with a single kneel.  but change doesn't work that way.  You have to take baby steps.  Bring awareness to the locker room and change one locker room at a time within the NFL.  After the NFL is understanding of this awareness and understand that changes need to be made by each individual, then the league can then branch out to their own respective community.  Than those communities reach out to other communities within the states.  Change starts with each individual and within their own house.  Real change isn't going to happen to all of America overnight.  it's just impossible.  Goodell needs to get his house (the NFL) in order first and I think that would be a beneficial way in utilizing Kaep.  Don't open the door for him just to play.  Open the door for him to make changes throughout the NFL and possibly the rest of America.  The NFL has an opportunity on their hands if they choose to handle this the right way.

5 minutes ago, GregPersons said:

Okay fair enough. I apologize for the many question marks.  So let me rephrase. It's a separate issue. If Kaepernick were running for mayor, okay, let's talk about it. But he's not. It doesn't matter. It's a side issue. It's a distraction from the subject. I agree he shouldn't have worn it, for the simple fact, I don't want to be talking about it like it holds any equal weight to the topic of police violence, which is the right issue to protest, the right issue to be mad about, and the right issue to talk about. We can talk about the relative good and evil results from Fidel Castro another time. I don't know why he wore it. I could get more into the fact that America is no saint, either, and Cuba's crimes are probably overall less ghastly than America's, if we want to get really real about it. But I don't see a point in that.

He shouldn't need to be --- we shouldn't need him to be perfect for us to listen, and to be able to recognize the truth when it is spoken. It says a lot that the truth in America is now highly, highly conditional.  It also says a lot about how much we don't want to hear certain messages. America's big legacy, 100s of years from now, I'm convinced, is going to be mind control and delusion. From Hollywood movies to most of the CIA's activities during the 20th century at least, to I'd argue the founding documents knowingly misrepresenting the ideals and meanings of "people" and "freedom" and so forth.... I don't know if there has ever been a more powerful propaganda machine in the history of the world. For a fun / horrifying read of history, look into COINTLEPRO. Not just a cursory one or two line explainer. Get into the weeds on at least a wikipedia page or something, because, bro... we're just all so massively underestimating the efforts that have been taken so that even our interactions, and interactions like ours, will inevitably fall off the track and away from the central issue.

It sounds too wild to be true. It's funny/sad too that, like, Q anon people who love conspiracy theories, don't believe the ones that definitively happened. Tulsa Race Massacre, most of us found out about this because of Watchmen on HBO — it's not taught in schools. It was suppressed. There's a way harder truth too in that the words we use to talk about "race" is like... ah, I can't even begin to bother to get into it again. But just, why aren't there more words besides race, racism, racist? Well, there are. There were in fact, equivalent conjugations, and theories and schools of thought, of derivative words from "the N word." That's how we thought about this, as Americans, until .... our grandfathers generation? Maybe ?

Bottom line... we haven't wanted to ever talk about race, and that's not an accident. and ignoring it doesn't help. and trying to yell shut up at the problem doesn't solve it either.

I'm not saying it shouldn't be discussed, im not saying we don't have bigger issues than just some clothing.

All I was pointing out, the message can get muddled when the person shows you who they align their belief system with.

I want to hear the message, and hear where he is coming from, but when you support someone who makes police brutality look like a walk in the park, it is hard to take Kaep at face value.

Edited by BillsFan17
  • Thank you (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, BillsFan17 said:

I'm not saying it shouldn't be discussed, im not saying we don't have bigger issues than just some clothing.

All I was pointing out, the message can get muddled when the person shows you who they align their belief system with.

Yeah man I hear you.  I'm not, like... blaming you. Or even arguing. Idk. I'm just talking. I'm just trying to help illuminate things, because, again, we're just not trained to talk about it. We don't know how, culturally. I'm not saying I am the super expert, I am just sharing what I know, and trying to help people understand things that I remember not always being so clear to me. It is an ongoing process, not a one time thing. 

I'm just preaching, dude, because it needs to be preached, that's it. Like Kaep, I'm not a perfect messenger, I don't think we should expect that... especially on stuff that is just "offensive" by means of a person expressing themselves in a way that doesn't harm anyone else.

I guess, if... ok if Josh Allen wore a Robert E Lee shirt, but also was kneeling for BLM.... well, that would be very interesting contradiction that I'd kind of love to see like a white Lil Nas X playing football, lol.... but .... for me it would be the same thing, I guess. "He liked Lee as a general, and you know, Lee didn't support slavery either." Okay sure. A bit questionable but, again, who cares. The main point still stands.

Edited by GregPersons
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, GregPersons said:

Yeah man I hear you.  I'm not, like... blaming you. Or even arguing. Idk. I'm just talking. I'm just trying to help illuminate things, because, again, we're just not trained to talk about it. We don't know how, culturally. I'm not saying I am the super expert, I am just sharing what I know, and trying to help people understand things that I remember not always being so clear to me. It is an ongoing process, not a one time thing. 

I'm just preaching, dude, because it needs to be preached, that's it. 

Preach on! I have no qualms listening and having dialogue

But it's more and more evident that some (not saying you) have to go out of their way to show exactly how virtuous they are, that any question or any type of different talking points immediately is meet with hostility and trying to put someone down.

Edited by BillsFan17

2 minutes ago, GregPersons said:

I'm just preaching, dude, because it needs to be preached, that's it. 

Preach on!

• Haha (+1) 1

He’s got a path back in now that he likely doesn’t need to prove that football is his #1 priority.

It’s pretty obvious that it’s not, which I’m sure is at least part of why he doesn’t have an NFL job. Coaches want a QB that loves football to an almost obsessive extent. Kaep showed in recent years that it certainly comes 2nd to activism. That’s going to make it tough to land a job when you’re also demanding $20M. Just look at how Josh Rosen slid down in the draft and has been replaced twice already thanks in no small part to his well-documented desires to be politically active.

• Like (+1) 1

Just bring him back already so we can stop talking about "him" & can focus on the cause he stands for !

Given what this season will be about & is not going to be about football but all that surrounds it, who ever brings him in if you think Teabow's circus would be a distraction OMG !

I'm not sure any team is going to want it but i hope they do ! 

16 minutes ago, GregPersons said:

For a fun / horrifying read of history, look into COINTLEPRO

This all day. I posted about this last week. Here is the cliff notes version for anyone not wanting to do the leg work:

https://mobile.twitter.com/clairewillett/status/1266894029498675200

It’s a long twitter thread, but a fascinating read. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

He’s got a path back in now that he likely doesn’t need to prove that football is his #1 priority.

It’s pretty obvious that it’s not, which I’m sure is at least part of why he doesn’t have an NFL job. Coaches want a QB that loves football to an almost obsessive extent. Kaep showed in recent years that it certainly comes 2nd to activism. That’s going to make it tough to land a job when you’re also demanding $20M. Just look at how Josh Rosen slid down in the draft and has been replaced twice already thanks in no small part to his well-documented desires to be politically active.

That's true, especially with how oblivious coaches can be at evaluating talent. The reality is that coaches are often just working with someone they can vibe with, someone they can communicate with.

Anthony Lynn with the Chargers ... he and Kaep would gel, I feel confident. 

Just now, TheProcess said:

This all day. I posted about this last week. Here is the cliff notes version for anyone not wanting to do the leg work:

https://mobile.twitter.com/clairewillett/status/1266894029498675200

It’s a long twitter thread, but a fascinating read. 

Put it in front of as many people as you can. It's... ah I dont even know where to begin.

I'll just say that. It's funny - and again it's by design - how Americans are all so certain we are much too clever to ever be persuaded by government propaganda. Us? Come on...!

9 minutes ago, BillsFan17 said:

Preach on! I have no qualms listening and having dialogue

But it's more and more evident that some (not saying you) have to go out of their way to show exactly how virtuous they are, that any question or any type of different talking points immediately is meet with hostility and trying to put someone down.

Sure, okay, I'll give you that even. It goes both ways, though. Because really, more than virtue signaling, you see major cultural defensiveness.

It's like... imagine you are a boss doing a performance review for an employee. You're trying to tell the employee the ways they could be better; all they're doing is "WELL WHAT ABOUT...." 

You're like. Do I have to fire you? I just need you to listen, and stop doing the bad dumb evil things, because replacing you would be very difficult. So please just stop killing the other employees. And they're like "WELL THEY'RE JUST PART TIMERS!"