Goodell opens door for Kaepernick return. How will this end? Take your bets!

How will this resolve?  

110 members have voted

1. 1. What will happen with Kaepernick and the NFL?

• A team will sign him (name the team)
    • He'll join the NFL front office
    • Kaepernick will remain out of the NFL entirely

Momentum is building toward Kaepernick returning to the NFL.  Roger Goodell has officially encouraged NFL teams to sign Kaep, and also offered him an open-ended invitation to join the NFL league's office to fight racial injustice.

What an opportunity to test our TSW prognosticators. Here's a story that's headed toward some type of ending and new beginning. What do you think will happen? Or what should happen? 

Here's what I think should happen. Kaepernick would be a perfect fit for the LA Chargers.

Why? 

—Chargers need a reason for people to care about them. They are easily Los Angeles most forgettable team.

—LA is a very pro-Kaepernick city, as opposed to say, Nashville or Buffalo or Jacksonville

—The new stadium in Inglewood would absolutely sell more tickets with Kaepernick playing, just on principle he would receive support, even if they go 0-16

—For as much as the Spanos family are garbage, they owe the NFL for helping them get such a prime relocation after failing to get a new San Diego stadium... they would owe it to the NFL to take "the risk" of signing Kaep. 

Despite a certain moderator with a Christmas Story avatar mocking this suggestion in the "Kaep to NE" thread, apparently I'm not the only one to think the Chargers make sense for Kaep -- https://boltbeat.com/2020/06/15/la-chargers-colin-kaepernick-flier/

Anyway. What do you think will happen? 

• Like (+1) 1

Will Kaepernick agree to “compete” for a job or will he want a job handed to him? That seems to be the question. If he wants to compete for a job, that’s great. I hope he makes a comeback. But a team can’t just sign him based on societal pressure. That weakens his original message. 

• Like (+1) 3

3 minutes ago, BringBackFergy said:

Will Kaepernick agree to “compete” for a job or will he want a job handed to him? That seems to be the question. If he wants to compete for a job, that’s great. I hope he makes a comeback. But a team can’t just sign him based on societal pressure. That weakens his original message. 

I can't imagine Kaep would be getting or expecting any outright starting offers given that he's been out of the league for several years. Where was it said that he wouldn't compete for a job and want it handed to him? 

I'd assume if he signs with the Chargers, Anthony Lynn would make it an open competition. The rookie, Tyrod, and Kaep. 

Also unclear about how his signing would have anything to do with his original message, or how it weakens it?

Edited by GregPersons
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, GregPersons said:

I can't imagine Kaep would be getting or expecting any outright starting offers given that he's been out of the league for several years. Where was it said that he wouldn't compete for a job and want it handed to him? 

I'd assume if he signs with the Chargers, Anthony Lynn would make it an open competition. The rookie, Tyrod, and Kaep. 

It was my understanding that he was looking for “starter” money two years ago. If you compete for a job, you don’t get signed for starter money.  Imagine if he was signed to a large contract and then cut after training camp? Hoping he signs with a team to a reasonable contract, competes for a job and contributes to a team’s success. 

Just now, BringBackFergy said:

It was my understanding that he was looking for “starter” money two years ago. If you compete for a job, you don’t get signed for starter money.  Imagine if he was signed to a large contract and then cut after training camp? Hoping he signs with a team to a reasonable contract, competes for a job and contributes to a team’s success. 

Well yeah, two years ago I think he would be entitled to requesting starter money, since his last job was a starter. But now given that it's been some time, seems like an unlikely request on his end. Haven't seen any indication that that's his mindset.  Tbh, I don't think he is in it for the money. Requesting starter money in the initial unemployment before it was clear he was being blacklisted was more about respect and not accepting the, frankly, bullying that was being insisted that he deserved less money because of the "distraction." 

Anyway, yeah, I too would love to see a Kaep revenge tour. I can definitely imagine him inspiring the right team as a leader. 

5 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

He’ll get a tryout or two, not play well, and not get signed.

Kaep was a 3rd QB on a depth chart when he decided to LEAVE the 49ers , I can’t even remember the names of the two QB’s that were ahead of him , 

The guy SUCKS if not for the killing of George Floyd we wouldn’t be talking about him 

• Like (+1) 4

I don't know if I'm a fan of the Commish or anybody else trying to force teams to sign Kaep.  Does he deserve a chance, Absolutely!  But simply signing him just because the NFL agrees with his stance now, just isn't a good look for either party.  He hasn't been in the league for what, 4-5 years now?  Even if he tries out, he may not make a team because I don't think he's that good.  By all means, it would be one hell of a comeback story that I think everyone would love to see, but I wouldn't come out and say that a team needs to sign Kaep.

• Like (+1) 3

11 minutes ago, GregPersons said:

Well yeah, two years ago I think he would be entitled to requesting starter money, since his last job was a starter. But now given that it's been some time, seems like an unlikely request on his end. Haven't seen any indication that that's his mindset.  Tbh, I don't think he is in it for the money. Requesting starter money in the initial unemployment before it was clear he was being blacklisted was more about respect and not accepting the, frankly, bullying that was being insisted that he deserved less money because of the "distraction." 

Anyway, yeah, I too would love to see a Kaep revenge tour. I can definitely imagine him inspiring the right team as a leader. 

Not really.  In his last season in SF, he was not the week 1 starter and subsequently was benched two more times for Gabbert. Then, as they were about to cut him, he opted out of his contract.

Why would Kaeprnick be a more attractive pick up than Cam Newton?

• Like (+1) 2

17 minutes ago, Putin said:

Kaep was a 3rd QB on a depth chart when he decided to LEAVE the 49ers , I can’t even remember the names of the two QB’s that were ahead of him , 

The guy SUCKS if not for the killing of George Floyd we wouldn’t be talking about him 

He didn't decide to leave. 49ers told him he was going to be released so he opted out. Not sure how well he can play after missing so many years but he didn't suck when he played. Do you really think he's not as good or better than Barkley, Glennon, Hoyer.....

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Not really.  In his last season in SF, he was not the week 1 starter and subsequently was benched two more times for Gabbert. Then, as they were about to cut him, he opted out of his contract.

You're right he was losing the job to Gabbert, but again, still seems like a reasonable request to me. If I were his lawyer or agent, I'd advise the same. 

I don't know why Cam hasn't been signed either although in that case I think it's an injury concern. I agree he's a valuable commodity; I think the Bills should've taken a chance on him. No reason it should have to be so divisive if everyone is just on the same page. Josh has earned default QB1 status, and Cam would be the best QB2 in the league, not to mention obviously physically he and Josh are very similar. Of all locker rooms, seems like he'd have the best chance to succeed in Buffalo.

But Cam might not be interested in QB2 and insist on a starting job outright, though. So that would be one reason why. They're different players.

3 minutes ago, nucci said:

He didn't decide to leave. 49ers told him he was going to be released so he opted out. Not sure how well he can play after missing so many years but he didn't suck when he played. Do you really think he's not as good or better than Barkley, Glennon, Hoyer.....

FWIW, Kaep's arm and athleticism have all looked good in his workout videos. Obviously that's different from game time.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, nucci said:

How many games did you watch of his last season? He would not have started for at least 25 teams and that includes Buffalo. He is at the same level as those guys you listed but in 2018 wanted more money then them, so he is the odd man out 

The leagues apologizes are frankly a day late and a dollar short as it were. The owners ganged up on him ended his career, and kicked him while he was down. It was an act of blatant racism. 

If he plays again of his and some teams choice it will be bitter sweet at best, joining the league office may be more likely than playing, I certainly don’t know what he wants as a human being. I think he likely has mixed feelings about a return. 

• Like (+1) 5

I can see him getting a look or 2 but doubt he sticks on a roster. He hasn’t played in a few years and struggled then. I thought Seattle was his best opportunity when he got the workout there. A couple of years ago he absolutely belonged on a roster. I just don’t see a place that makes sense. 

I don't think the NFL can compel a signing by any team.  As Pointed out above, a CK signing would be a marketing diaster in many cities...including Buffalo.  LA does make sense, and NE doesn't (as I said in the other thread...Bellicheck and Kap isn't good chemistry imho)  Thing is, Kap might not make the team in LA.  What happens then, more riots?  A risky signing in any event.

Vick came back from prison for dog fighting.  If he still looks the part in a workout, and is willing to accept a backup spot, he can find a job.  Cam Newton's still a free agent at this point though which hurts his chances. Arizona could be a good spot for him - even with the time off i think he's an upgrade over hundley.  

38 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

The issue with Cam seems to be his injury history and the inability of team's to have his health evaluated because of the circumstances created by COVID.  But as those problems move closer to resolution I could definitely see Newton as a legitimate option for some team seeking QB help.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, dneveu said:

Vick came back from prison for dog fighting.  If he still looks the part in a workout, and is willing to accept a backup spot, he can find a job.  Cam Newton's still a free agent at this point though which hurts his chances. Arizona could be a good spot for him - even with the time off i think he's an upgrade over hundley.  

To a large portion of the country, dog fighting is not nearly as bad as ostensibly disrespecting the flag and the military.

• Sad 1