High Profile Cuts

jwhit34

High Profile Cuts  

208 members have voted

1. 1. Who will be the highest profile offensive player that will not make the 53 man roster?

2. 2. Who will be the highest profile defensive player that will not make the 53 man roster?

15 hours ago, elijah said:

The only way Spencer Long doesn’t make it is likely a trade rather than a cut in my opinion and same with Trent Murphy. 

I don’t believe Duke Williams will make the roster, simply too much depth at receiver and Isaiah McKenzie will also have an uphill battle. 

I didn’t cast a vote because I think all 5 of those defensive players make the roster. A lot of these guys would only be cut for nothing other than cap space purposes — but we have the cap space and therefor don’t really need to cut many of these guys. 

If I were to cast a vote, I would go with Isaiah McKenzie and EJ Gaines. I’m an advocate for McKenzie to make the roster but I think ultimately Andre Roberts takes his roster spot due to the return ability. 

Andre Roberts has a locked down spot.  He's not competing with Isaiah McKensie.  Isaiah is competing with our newly drafted rookies and Robert Foster, who is another guy who may not earn a spot - in fact due to his willingness to "pinch hit" at DB or just do whatever, McKensie may have a leg up.

I'd like to see the NFL expand the roster due to covid and all those guys make it.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, JOE IN HAMPTON ROADS said:

apparently you don't follow this board much.

Duke is our underdog, but who is our sweet Polly purebred? That’s what I want to know... 

When was the last time we debated about so many quality players that might get moved?  Its been a while. 
BB will turn them into future trade / draft capital. 

• Haha (+1) 1

19 hours ago, Mountain Man said:

Duke Williams wouldn't be a high profile cut. He's one of the obvious ones. A bottom of the roster WR, who doesn't play special teams, has achieved very little in the NFL and who had multiple players drafted at his position. 

I cant say beyond the Titans game, but I saw with my own eyes Duke on Kickoff team. Like I said, I dont know if he played more ST then that. 

Also I will out on a limb and say all of them will make the team.

Edited by letsgoteam

I don’t see them cutting Long.  He has a lot of experience starting at Center and G for not just the Bills, but also the Jets.  With as many injuries as O Lineman are at risk, he is an asset, and cutting him only brings around $2 mil. Given the $700,000 dead cap hit.  The others mentioned like Williams, Foster, etc. are not going to be able to compete with long term cheap depth answers in Davis and Hodges, and they are taller, but faster than Williams.  Some might be right on McD liking Murphy, I just don’t think he’s worth the $8 mil. when we have so many other options for rotations.  It wasn’t until the Jets and playoff game where he had two sacks in each game.

15 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Why don't we just teach Duke how to play TE.

Cut Smith

Because there's nothing like being a physical wide receiver and being a tight end.

Lee Smith is honestly 270 280 lb, probably plays closer to 300. Duke has never put his hand in the ground once or been inline. Which tight ends are asked to do at least 70%

He is a wide receiver not a tight end by any stretch. He just isn't big enough and doesn't have the skill set

Edited by Buffalo716

18 minutes ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

Why is Foster not on the 'O' list?  ?

(runs out of thread)

For me, he isn't on the list because there will be nothing surprising if he's cut.  It won't be a high-profile cut.

Foster was an undrafted free agent, which says something about the talent he brings to the table.  He's now competing against established NFL starters (Diggs, Beasley, Brown), drafted rookies (Hodgins and Davis), an entrenched punt and kick returner (Roberts), a useful gadget player (McKenzie), and a guy who's talented merit being drafted but who had off-field issues (Williams).  Other than being an effective gunner, it's hard to see how Foster can earn a place on the team.  

The same analysis applies to Williams, only a little less so.  Williams has draftable talent, but he'll have to offer a clearly higher upside than Hodgins and Davis.  They both may be possession receivers who could be as valuable as Williams, and Davis apparently has decent deep speed.  

All Foster has to offer is speed. Of course, if you're coming to the NFL with only thing in your toolkit, speed may be the best thing to bring (hello, Christian Wade). But with Diggs and Brown starting, and with Roberts and McKenzie, Foster's speed alone probably doesn't help him. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Shaw66 said:

All Foster has to offer is speed. Of course, if you're coming to the NFL with only thing in your toolkit, speed may be the best thing to bring (hello, Christian Wade). But with Diggs and Brown starting, and with Roberts and McKenzie, Foster's speed alone probably doesn't help him. 

My facetious question was based more upon the haranguing seen in the forum that Foster was the greatest thing since sliced bread, and failure to realize that made all of the rest of us dummies.  ?  Your answer, sir, was a well reasoned reply as to why he rightfully didn't make this thread's listing.

On 6/16/2020 at 6:35 PM, John from Riverside said:

If they just cut Spencer Long....he will be out of work for about a day

Cutting Long would be crazy. If you can get a draft pick for Russell Bodine, who was realistically at best the 30th best starting Center. Then Long, who shown moments of being semi capable would definitely get one. Or Wyatt Teller, who had basically done nothing and got a draft pick in return. 

Long will easily get you a 6th. Possibly higher to a desperate team

21 hours ago, letsgoteam said:

Also I will out on a limb and say all of them will make the team.

So who is getting cut instead? You're going to have to cut some notable players, the roster is too deep

On 6/16/2020 at 10:51 PM, LABILLBACKER said:

Why don't we just teach Duke how to play TE.

Cut Smith

So instead of keeping an TE who has played in the league for years, you want to to take a WR in his late 20s who has done nothing in the league and turn him into a developmental TE? 

8 minutes ago, Mountain Man said:

So instead of keeping an TE who has played in the league for years, you want to to take a WR in his late 20s who has done nothing in the league and turn him into a developmental TE? 

PS&E facing lean times.  Economize wherever you can.  ?

7 hours ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

My facetious question was based more upon the haranguing seen in the forum that Foster was the greatest thing since sliced bread, and failure to realize that made all of the rest of us dummies.  ?  Your answer, sir, was a well reasoned reply as to why he rightfully didn't make this thread's listing.

Sorry I missed the point. 

I'll be amazed if he survives the final cut.