High Profile Cuts

jwhit34

High Profile Cuts  

208 members have voted

1. 1. Who will be the highest profile offensive player that will not make the 53 man roster?

2. 2. Who will be the highest profile defensive player that will not make the 53 man roster?

The only way Spencer Long doesn’t make it is likely a trade rather than a cut in my opinion and same with Trent Murphy. 

I don’t believe Duke Williams will make the roster, simply too much depth at receiver and Isaiah McKenzie will also have an uphill battle. 

I didn’t cast a vote because I think all 5 of those defensive players make the roster. A lot of these guys would only be cut for nothing other than cap space purposes — but we have the cap space and therefor don’t really need to cut many of these guys. 

If I were to cast a vote, I would go with Isaiah McKenzie and EJ Gaines. I’m an advocate for McKenzie to make the roster but I think ultimately Andre Roberts takes his roster spot due to the return ability. 

• Like (+1) 1

I went with Duke Williams as the 10 if you include TEs will be Diggs, Brown, Beasley, Knox, Kroft, Sweeney, Smith. Then you add Roberts for returns, McKenzie for gadget plays, and Davis.  If by some long shot Hodges shines which will be tough then McKenzie gets axed.

On the defense, it’s probably Murphy as they save $8 mil. that can along with the $20 mil. In cap space extend probably Dawkins and Milano.  They wait on White til next years off season.  They manage their cap well, and Murphy was hurt for the better part of two years.  Besides there is now a lot of depth on the D Line in Butler, Addison, Jefferson, Star, H. Phillips, Hughes, and Epenesa. They could keep Murphy, and cut the others, but Murphy is the better financial decision.

• Like (+1) 1

I picked DeMarco for the offence--I think the un-drafted FA from Toledo will take his place, but I also do not see how Duke makes it with draft kids, and I think we've seen the last of Lee Smith as a Bill.

On D, I just a have a feeling that Norman is washed up. He certainly has done little the past few years, not sure a change of scenery helps him

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Disagree on those who think Norman won't make it. I think he has something left and I think he will end up as a starter. 

I hope you're right, but I don't have the same level of confidence you do about it.

1 hour ago, CSBill said:

I picked DeMarco for the offence--I think the un-drafted FA from Toledo will take his place, but I also do not see how Duke makes it with draft kids, and I think we've seen the last of Lee Smith as a Bill.

On D, I just a have a feeling that Norman is washed up. He certainly has done little the past few years, not sure a change of scenery helps him

I hope you're right, but I don't have the same level of confidence you do about it.

Lee Smith is the proverbial bad penny.  He keeps coming back.

I honestly think Duke ends up being cut as the two WR's we drafted (Davis/Hodgins) are younger, signed for the long term, can fill the same role, and have upside. Foster may likely be sent packing as well. I think a trade of a player or two along the OL is more likely than just an outright cut, similar to what we did with Bodine last year. On the defensive side it's hard to say. Norman was great in this scheme in Carolina, not so much in Man responsibilities in Washington. EJ Gaines was really good in this defense in 2017, but has a long list of injuries over his career and can't seem to stay healthy. Wallace seemed to get burnt on a regular basis last season, especially on 3rd downs. It's hard to say because you know our staff loves "their guys", but in this instance they are all "their guys" in one way or another. Dimarco is a waste of space so I wouldn't mind seeing him go as well, but he and Murphy are two of McD's faves as well as Lee "Back it up 5 yards" Smith. 

I dont know and didn't vote.  But I gotta say that's a list of good players, and some of them will have to go.  

I remember being excited when Gaines came back, and I will be sad to see him go.  If he's cut, it means Norman still can play, and if that's true the Bill's have some outstanding corners.  

I'm a Duke fan but I think he is in trouble, and maybe McKenzie. Versatility may save McKenzie. 

Gotta figure Johnson stays over Murphy.  

12 hours ago, jwhit34 said:

Who will be the most notable cuts on offense and defense?

I think EJ gets traded if he and Norman and Wallace all have good camps.  EJ has the injury bug, we need availability, and some team with a CB injury would trade for EJ.  

On offense, I'm not sure any of the cuts would surprise me.  

As much as Murphy is overpaid, I'd keep him because if there are injuries, he is a fantastic backup/rotational guy.  

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Mountain Man said:

Duke Williams wouldn't be a high profile cut. He's one of the obvious ones. A bottom of the roster WR, who doesn't play special teams, has achieved very little in the NFL and who had multiple players drafted at his position. 

apparently you don't follow this board much.

• Haha (+1) 2

11 hours ago, Mountain Man said:

Duke Williams wouldn't be a high profile cut. He's one of the obvious ones. A bottom of the roster WR, who doesn't play special teams, has achieved very little in the NFL and who had multiple players drafted at his position. 

I agree with you I included him in the poll because of his popularity here, was interested to see the response. 

What’s high profile about any of these players?

Just now, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

Daryll Johnson has to be a cut - He is an UDFA, and we have a ton of DEs in front of him.  Maybe he'll beat out Trent, but I doubt it.  

He was a draft pick 

I have no true idea of course, like any of us here, but to me Beane's comments after the season about player evaluation and not just looking at the Texans' game, was directly linked to Murphy. I don't know if he gets cut or traded for a 6th(ish) but I do think he and an Offensive lineman go the way of a trade somewhere in training camp. Although I chose Lee Smith as the guy to go because with Kroft healthy, and the need to mature Knox and Sweeney, I just don't see the need of having a Smith in the TE room. Moreover, I was tempted with DiMarco, but once again it will be a young RB room without a guy like Gore, and given DiMarco's Vet presence as one of the few in the position group McD and Beane might just value such a presence over what he actually does on the field.