Expand 2020 Rosters Due to COVID-19

I think the league should treat COVID-19 like a special type of injury across the league. The league should assume a certain percentage of each team will contract the virus and be out 4-6 weeks. Having an expanded roster along with a special COVID IR designation for the 2020 season could help to keep the league OPEN throughout the season. 

As long as a player is testing positive, they can be on COVID IR and be reactivated 7-10 days after testing negative and without a fever. The expanded roster could include 10-15 players that can only be activated to replace a positively tested player on COVID IR. This would be sort of like the practice squad but the players on the COVID Squad could not be poached by another team. 

Thoughts?

• Like (+1) 2

Weo’s right, but that thread was about quarantining a QB even though it developed into the one here.  I mentioned it was discussed in mutual outlets to for this year only increase the active to 60 so the PS of each team can’t be pilfered.  It would have to be a one year thing if they have a vaccine by 2021.

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, BisonMan said:

I think the league should treat COVID-19 like a special type of injury across the league. The league should assume a certain percentage of each team will contract the virus and be out 4-6 weeks. Having an expanded roster along with a special COVID IR designation for the 2020 season could help to keep the league OPEN throughout the season. 

As long as a player is testing positive, they can be on COVID IR and be reactivated 7-10 days after testing negative and without a fever. The expanded roster could include 10-15 players that can only be activated to replace a positively tested player on COVID IR. This would be sort of like the practice squad but the players on the COVID Squad could not be poached by another team. 

Thoughts?

I like this idea a lot.  It basically protects players like Fromm, Foster, etc. from being poached because they could be needed due to COVID.  

7 hours ago, Dr.Mantis_Toboggan said:

I would expand on the quarantined back up QB idea.

They should consider doubling the size of the practice squad and keep them quarantined for the duration of the season.

PS level players would do anything for a crack at the 53, including being quarantined for 4-5 months.  

If the NFL wants the season to go off without the loss of anymore revenue (empty stadiums), they need to work with the NFLPA and get an agreement for quarantine for entire rosters. 

The CBA already carries provisions for contagious diseases. All practice squad players (there's what, 14 now?) contracts include a contagious disease addendum which modify the rules regarding bringing practice squad players up to the 53 man roster in the event a team is given roster exemptions in the event of a contagious disease outbreak - including allowing the team to bring them up for a single week instead of the guaranteed 3 weeks. And also allowing the team to place the player back on the PS without having to clear waivers. 

Basically if a team has an outbreak of a contagious disease and gets roster exemptions from the league for said players, they will be allowed to use the PS players as regular players without the usual restrictions associated with promoting PS players to the 53 man roster and plcing them back on the PS again. This has been a rule in the CBA for years.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

10 hours ago, artmalibu said:

If a player is positive for the virus anyone in close contact should be in quarantine.  It would be impossible to  have enough reserve players.  

I think this is a good call. Every effort is going to need to be made to prevent ANY infections. Football is the most dangerous sport to play during a pandemic, given its close contact nature of play.

At the very least, every helmet will have to have a full face shield inside the face mask. And maybe other face coverings will be needed.

And the coaching staffs are going to have to be huge a-holes about policing the wearing of masks among the players. I'm in eastern Virginia, and about 1 out of every 3 people here are wearing masks in public, indoors, even though the governor has mandated it. All businesses have the sign on the door stating "no one will be admitted without a face covering", but not one is enforcing it.

The NFL better be smarter than that, or the season is screwed.

If we need to expand rosters because of positive testing and quarantine- then they need to postpone or stop the season.

They already stand to lose between 3-4 billion in revenue (both owners and NFLPA hit these numbers) based on potential loss of fans - now you want to expand the rosters even further.  I just don’t see it.

They already expanded with the practice squad - maybe they can use that pool, but the NFL and NFLPA still need to work on an agreement to mitigate the huge drop in salary cap for next year.

• Like (+1) 1

On 6/15/2020 at 8:11 PM, BisonMan said:

Thoughts?

Your idea seems like a really good one but what happens to all the players that the infected player came in contact with ? Lets say he was Dawkins which is in on every offensive play in the game and isn't diagnosed until after a game how many people on the other team will he have come in contact with during the game ?

IF he is "A symptomatic" as they say they wouldn't know right away then half the other teams defense & most of our offense in the huddle would have some contact with him so what then ?

Disaster i'm thinking unless you have enough players to put the entire offense on quarantine . Wow this year should prove to be very interesting ! 

Too if a player or players tests positive on 1 team do you think because of their interaction with the team that they will cancel & reschedule that teams game as to not infect another teams roster ? Holy shnikie the possibilities are endless .

You have to remember that expanding rosters is a double edged sword in this case- more players practicing together = more total exposure for each player. Unless you plan on expanding the roster and making it so some players don't practice with the team, you are increasing the chances of more of your team getting covid 19.