If the Season Is Canceled, What Will the 2021 Draft Look Like?

Gugny

8 hours ago, Augie said:

Bengals get to replace Joe B. with Trevor before Joe ever plays a down.(Maybe a blessing for Joe)

Pats* get extra comp picks, just because. 

We don’t get to see Tua’s plush house again, which made me envious, so we get to see who the next best paid college player is. 

Interestingly, any drafted player that is not signed can go back into the following draft.  The team that selected them would not be permitted to select them again.  This is a standing rule, not something COVID related.  It has a real possibility of coming into play with some players - most notably Burrow.  

Edited by BarleyNY

I think the issue, is less about if there's an NFL season, but moreso about if there's a college season. The NFL will have played at least some games, whereas the colleges may not be in a situation to play any at all.

Colleges, while they do 'bestow' scholarships, aren't paying kids tp play. They can't force them to either. They also aren't about to pay for the levels of testing that should be required, as evidenced by a college recently trying to get students to sign covid19 waivers regarding practices. (Can't remember which one, but it was on PFT).

No college season, equals very little to go on, when it comes to a draft. As such, it might be that the NFL goes to a lottery, as it won't make much difference anyway. ;)

15 hours ago, Gugny said:

I haven't seen anything written on this topic since April.  It's a real possibility that there may not be a season ... in the NFL or in College.

Lots of variables.  What's the draft order?  Do college seniors get another year of eligibility?

From what I've researched, this situation has not been accounted for (not faulting anyone).  Just wondering if anyone has any intel on how this will work.

I'm assuming that just like this year for spring sports, college seniors in fall sports would get another year of eligibility.  Would make the draft totally crazy.  Hopefully the NCAA would take back players that didn't get drafted.  

Although, I think College Football happens, it could be in the Spring, and that would likely push the draft back.  

It would also glue me to tv: Lacrosse, College Football, and College basketball at the same time!!!  

I'm just a fan but my guess would be that they would stay in the position of the draft that they were in this past draft how else could they do it ?

I guess they could have some of the "Experts" that make up the power rankings & do it that way but that is all speculation .

Or let them just do it a lottery with 32 picks ?.

I think they would start with this year's draft order and create some sort of lottery.  They could for instance divide teams into four tiers, and then do a lottery in each group with the worst team in the group having 8 chances to get the best pick in the tier, and the best team only gets one pick.  They might not consider it fair to use the resulting draft order for all 7 rounds.  In that case, they can rotate the order for each round in round 2, the top picking team from round 1 drops to #8 and every other team in the tier jumps one spot.  In round 3, the top picking team from round two in each tier drops to 8th in the tier and so on. 

I doubt the season will be canceled. There will be 16 games with a shortened preseason. Stadiums will be empty all fall. Players will be tested constantly and some players will test positive. Those players will be shutdown 14 days (2 games). 53 man rosters will be expanded. Hoping for a vaccine before playoffs start. Maybe fans allowed in during playoffs? Bill's win the AFCE, go 11-5 and lose to Chiefs in the Conference Championship. Just my projections??  Bills pick 29th in April. A DE.......

I say don’t do a draft. Seriously. I think it’s the best solution.  Fortunately, I don’t think it’ll be an issue. 

But yeah, if there’s no nfl or college season, don’t do a draft.

Give the seniors a year of eligibility and it’d be a disservice to all parties. 

It’s not perfect obviously, but it’s the best I got.  

On 6/16/2020 at 5:01 AM, GunnerBill said:

Agree. Bundesliga is working, Premier League starts tomorrow. It will likely be without fans but there will be an NFL season.

The difference is those countries got the virus under control. We have pockets of control here but we are seeing spikes all over the country. We may not have a second wave if the first doesnt end

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Nester said:

Bye bye season

Football may not happen at all this year, Fauci warns

https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/18/us/football-happen-fauci-spt-trnd/index.html

Have you heard of any training camps opening up? I haven’t. I know they start in July but I’ve heard little to nothing from most teams. But I also don’t watch the news as much anymore 

Edited by major