If the Season Is Canceled, What Will the 2021 Draft Look Like?

Gugny

5 minutes ago, BornAgainBillsFan said:

5000.jpg?width=300&quality=85&auto=format&fit=max&s=cd3f625512d400a3b5e1fecf18cc5d93

It's all about masks. If everyone wore them, we'd be fine by now. But right now, it's about 50-50.

I think its better than 50-50 around here, but the numbers are getting worse. My personal observation is that in the last 2-3 weeks, more people are out in public without masks, and social distancing...well, that concept is fading fast.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Gugny said:

This is unavoidable.  I don't know how we'll have sports.

Agreed.

Scrolling through sports news today, it's happening to multiple teams across multiple sports. The idea of just being able to quarantine one or two people and have everything be fine seems like a total fantasy. It really doesn't seem to work that way. 

From where I sit, a full NFL season -- or even a 10 game NFL season or whatever -- seems next to impossible.

• Like (+1) 3

5 hours ago, Logic said:

Agreed.

Scrolling through sports news today, it's happening to multiple teams across multiple sports. The idea of just being able to quarantine one or two people and have everything be fine seems like a total fantasy. It really doesn't seem to work that way. 

From where I sit, a full NFL season -- or even a 10 game NFL season or whatever -- seems next to impossible.

As much as this thoroughly bums me out, it just seems like the inescapable reality until a vaccine comes along. Ugh. 

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, 2ForMacAdoo said:

As much as this thoroughly bums me out, it just seems like the inescapable reality until a vaccine comes along. Ugh. 

and while that’s a bummer, pausing for a little bit longer and waiting for an effective vaccine seems to be the ethical thing to do, right? The answer seems obvious to me but then again I’m in Buffalo, that followed strict rules and now seems to have this under control (at least for now.)

If there is no college season, there will not be a draft. NFL teams will not have tape to evaluate players, and they would not be willing to risk a draft choice on someone who has been inactive for a year. The NCAA and NFL seasons will resume in 2021 as normal, with players getting an extra year of eligibility in college, assuming COVID-19 has been eradicated by then. Problem solved.

• Thank you (+1) 1

11 hours ago, mjd1001 said:

I think its better than 50-50 around here, but the numbers are getting worse. My personal observation is that in the last 2-3 weeks, more people are out in public without masks, and social distancing...well, that concept is fading fast.

What do you expect. First states opening up early then protests around the country. Seeing people all over LA not wearing masks. "Stupid is as stupid does". Now every major sport today announced player(s) infected. At this point we'd be lucky if the NFL season started Jan 1st for a 10 game season. There will not be NFL or D1 football in September. 

Edited by LABILLBACKER
  • Like (+1) 2

On 6/15/2020 at 8:47 PM, BillsFan2313 said:

Probably the same order as this years draft

Oh great. So we lose another first round pick. If we use last year’s draft order, Minnesota gets our pick at 23 and we don’t pick until the second round. I’m not in favor of this at all. 

I think football happens in the fall or spring.  

that said, lets do this hypo where it and college does not happen.  I think the draft will go like this: 

a lotto system, where the picks will be televised because the NFL can make a show out of anything.  The number of balls may correlate to the past years draft picks based in records (the draft order would eliminate trades and simply go by team record.  worst record, more balls).  

To make it even more interesting/crazy, you could do the lotto before each round, with the number of balls in that round related to the position of pick in last round.   

9 hours ago, BringBackFergy said:

Oh great. So we lose another first round pick. If we use last year’s draft order, Minnesota gets our pick at 23 and we don’t pick until the second round. I’m not in favor of this at all. 

I think every team would get a 1st if there is no season, otherwise what you just explained would be true and unfair.  basically making past trades worth more to the receiving team.  The Steelers would hate this also as it traded a 1st for safety Fitzpatrick.  

Edited by RyanC883

On 6/20/2020 at 6:46 AM, BringBackFergy said:

Well we traded the 2020 pick, not 2021, so your logic makes no sense. Also it's just an opinion. Who knows what will happen. 

The vaccine will probably not work.  Lot of big heads have been saying this for months.  But as long as we make up a placebo and distribute it, can we then play sports again?  I'd like to get back on the ice and play beer league hockey again before I die.

27 minutes ago, BillsFan2313 said:

Well we traded the 2020 pick, not 2021, so your logic makes no sense. Also it's just an opinion. Who knows what will happen. 

I believe others suggested “They will use last year’s draft order”. Please tell me where we picked in the first round of last year’s draft?  The answer is NADA. 

5 hours ago, billsfan89 said:

The NHL had a cancelled season due to a lockout in 2004-2005 they held a draft and used a weighted lottery system.

What about teams who traded that draft's picks the prior season?  Do you know/remember how that was handled?  If a team traded a 2021 first round pick for a player, then that team should not have a 2021 first round pick, IMO.

On 6/15/2020 at 5:55 PM, Gugny said:

I haven't seen anything written on this topic since April.  It's a real possibility that there may not be a season ... in the NFL or in College.

Lots of variables.  What's the draft order?  Do college seniors get another year of eligibility?

From what I've researched, this situation has not been accounted for (not faulting anyone).  Just wondering if anyone has any intel on how this will work.

If the season is cancelled I guess that probably means will  have bigger problems to deal with then the draft 

56 minutes ago, Gugny said:

What about teams who traded that draft's picks the prior season?  Do you know/remember how that was handled?  

They held a lottery and gave teams more lottery balls based on their performance over the past 3-4 seasons. The Penguins wound up with the 1st pick - Crosby.

I don’t see how the NFL could justify handing a team Trevor Lawrence. 

I would make the first round compensatory based where teams have to give up future draft assets. It would also allow teams to wave their first round pick and have two in their pocket next year. 

13 hours ago, JetsFan20 said:

I don’t see how the NFL could justify handing a team Trevor Lawrence. 

I would make the first round compensatory based where teams have to give up future draft assets. It would also allow teams to wave their first round pick and have two in their pocket next year. 

I like this better than just redoing the same order as last year. How unfair would it be to give the Bengals Lawrence, then have them get a bounty of extra picks for him (or Joe depending who they want)? I doubt the rest of the owners will let Mike Brown collect like that.

14 hours ago, Gugny said:

What about teams who traded that draft's picks the prior season?  Do you know/remember how that was handled?  If a team traded a 2021 first round pick for a player, then that team should not have a 2021 first round pick, IMO.

Thank you.

• Like (+1) 1

15 hours ago, Gugny said:

I don't think any teams had traded for a teams first that year but I do remember that any and all draft picks in the mid rounds stood. So if you traded for a team's 2nd round pick you got it. The NHL didn't have the same level of conditional picks that it does now so it was a bit simpler. 

• Thank you (+1) 1