Grade each unit of our roster.

GreggTX

QB:  B- (josh allen made a huge leap from year 1 to 2.  hopefully we get more improvement going into year 3 vaulting him into upper echelon of QBs)

RB:  B (singletary is a stud, moss should be a solid contributor from the start)

TE:  C- (gosh I hope Knox's hands improve.  lee smith seems like a cool dude, but he gets way too many flags.  Also, I'd like to see more Sweeney if Knox is still dropping everything)

OL:  B (solid unit last year, will be even better this year with more experience together + Cody Ford improvement)

WR:  A- (based on Diggs performing similarly to how he has in the past)

LB:  B- (tremaine, milano, and AJ klein?  lorax departure really leaves a hole both on st and LB core)

DL:  B (if we get some more QB pressure this year out of this group.. secondary could really feast)

CB:  A- (like this group a lot.  lot of experience to step into CB2 if levi struggles)

S:  A (best tandem in the league?)

ST:  C (our kicking game sucks, but our return game & coverage units weren't bad last year)

3 hours ago, GreggTX said:

This is to predict the performance of each unit in 2020 based on the current roster.The DL and QB units were particularly tough to predict and could end up much better.

QB: C

RB: B

TE: C-

WR: A

OL:C-

CB: B- (After White, the rest is just average)

S: A

LB: C+ (Not as good as advertised, but not bad either)

DL: C (Tough to predict how Oliver, Phillips and Epenesa will perform)

ST: C+

You seriously are just doing this to piss people off right?

3 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

QB: B-

RB: B-

TE: D+

WR: B

OL: C+

CB: A-

LB: B

DL: B-

ST: C

Gunner thanks much more accurate

I think our RB is more like a straight B....but thats just nit picking

While I also agree with the OL grade...I will say that we are in a better position to take an injury and not have everything fall apart withour depth due to so many versitile players

QB: Joshypoo A++++++++++++++++++:wub:MedicalUnkemptDevilfish-size_restricted.

RB: B, Dinged a full letter for not having McCaffrey...

TE: C+

OL:C

CB: B

LB: C, Dinged a full letter for not convincing Kuechly not to retire and trade for him

ST: D-, Hopefully Bass will take us to A+ land. Bojo is an F- so hurts the overall big time.

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, BuffaloBillies said:

My kid is in college. They no longer give anyone an "F" because of political sensitivity to the word "failure." So the new "F" is an "E". No joke. No more F's. 

What college?  I know some have turned to pass/fail because of the virus but this is the first I've heard of this.

3 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

What college?  I know some have turned to pass/fail because of the virus but this is the first I've heard of this.

My niece is at Vanderbilt law school. They went pass/fail and she is PISSED! (I think this was actually pre-virus, but not sure.) She’s highly driven like my wife. Being top of your class wins you points in life! 

I’d just be happy not to fail. 

• Like (+1) 2

11 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

University of Kentucky. Yes, he was also able to do P/F this semester too  (which is odd, cuz they're allowing the "F" to remain in P/F, but not in regular grading). I know it's not that big a deal in the grand scheme of things (I'm pretty easy-going), but something about an E grade upsets me. Kids need to know when their work is not good enough. Learning from failure is a great motivator. Does an E motivate? Who knows...

Good thread.

QB C+ currently, B+ by season end if Allen continues to improve. Backup situation is awful.

OL B and could be an A if the RT spot is stabilized. I think Ford wins the job.

WR A-, still lack a guy with superior size but they may have the best 1-6 in the league

RB C, could be as high as A + by season end, but too many unknowns at this point

TE B-, I think Knox is going to be a star and Kroft will have a solid year. Best group of athletes this team has ever had a TE position 

DL C+, D if Oliver is suspended.  They have no great pass rusher and the ends are old. Harrison was ok prior to injury last year after a poor rookie year. I like the experience on the line. It should allow them to play multiple different fronts and work in Epenesa slowly.

LB B- , this year Edmund's must show he is a star. I would like to see the veterans play early and give way to Vosean Joseph as the season wears on. I've never been as high on Milano as most of this board. Edmunds has all the tools to be a ProBowl MLB if the instincts develop. He is still so young

DB A+, Great talent everywhere wit howrhaps the only hole being backup FS. I look for McD to convert at least one of these veteran corners to safety. White, Poter, Hyde and any other CB on the team is a top 3 unit in NFL.

P - C unreliable and they should have drafted a competitor 

PK - B - , Hauschka came on strong down the stretch last year( I think he hit his last 15 in a row). It will take a great camp by the rookie to beat out a solid veteran

Return A- Roberts was sensational last year. 

3 hours ago, BuffaloBillies said:

University of Kentucky. Yes, he was also able to do P/F this semester too  (which is odd, cuz they're allowing the "F" to remain in P/F, but not in regular grading). I know it's not that big a deal in the grand scheme of things (I'm pretty easy-going), but something about an E grade upsets me. Kids need to know when their work is not good enough. Learning from failure is a great motivator. Does an E motivate? Who knows...

It's not that uncommon for some colleges to give an E grade because they don't want to confuse it with a P/F grade.  Colleges are still happy to call your kid a failure :) 

6 hours ago, berg1029 said:

QB:  B- (josh allen made a huge leap from year 1 to 2.  hopefully we get more improvement going into year 3 vaulting him into upper echelon of QBs)

RB:  B (singletary is a stud, moss should be a solid contributor from the start)

TE:  C- (gosh I hope Knox's hands improve.  lee smith seems like a cool dude, but he gets way too many flags.  Also, I'd like to see more Sweeney if Knox is still dropping everything)

OL:  B (solid unit last year, will be even better this year with more experience together + Cody Ford improvement)

WR:  A- (based on Diggs performing similarly to how he has in the past)

LB:  B- (tremaine, milano, and AJ klein?  lorax departure really leaves a hole both on st and LB core)

DL:  B (if we get some more QB pressure this year out of this group.. secondary could really feast)

CB:  A- (like this group a lot.  lot of experience to step into CB2 if levi struggles)

S:  A (best tandem in the league?)

ST:  C (our kicking game sucks, but our return game & coverage units weren't bad last year)

Well, as I tell my students all the time that all grading is a subjective process, so be nice to me. And I do give F's.

So, I give this assessment an A+ . . . why? Because I like rookie's explanations. Good work berg.

Edited by CSBill
  • Like (+1) 1

QB B+ I give Allen an A (love where he’s at right now) but brought down right now by our backup position. I hope we don’t need to see them in.

Rb- B, an infusion of youth  finally. I was more than pleasantly surprised with Devin, managemnt coaches saw something in him and hit. I am excited to see what Moss can do.

OL B- continuity here coming back for the new season gives me hope this grade will rise. A big year for Cody but we have the right Oline coach to get him there. 

WR+, arguably now one of the best groups in the league. The trickle down effect of other teams now deciding who to double, John brown now facing probably other teams second best cb will open up this offense even more. He had an amazing year as our number one guy. Now I  feel if one was to get injured we won’t miss a beat. Excited to see our draft picks.

TE B,  Again I really love the youth movement. I’m very high on Knox and feel Kroft could really help us if he makes it through training camp healthy. Maybe Sweeney takes over for Lee Smith. I know they love his blocking but he kills us with a costly penalties. Where does croom fit? Kinda weird situation with him dating the daughters owner.

DL B. I am not going to focus on Oliver arrest, if any staff gets his head on straight it’s ours. I think we have solid not spectacular players but that fits our scheme as we seem to be all about rotation. Probably why we don’t go out and sign a Clowney. This grade may be higher by the end of the season.  I think Addison and Jefferson are going to be great signings, throw Epenesa in and we could see some good production.

LB B- have to put them into the B at least with Milano and Edmunds on their own. I’ll take a wait and see after that since we have to replace Lorax. Especially if one of our top guys goes down what kind of depth we have behind them? Good think is Mcd knows what he wants in his Lb.

DB A+, Great continuity here again. We get a lot of production out of this unit without having to the break the bank yet. I think Josh Norman more than makes this squad but takes over the second starting role. Mcd will have him in a system he is comfortable in and get the most out of them. I think beyond that we got guys who can be the best depth in the league. I’m high on Taron Johnson and Gaines could be solid but they need to stay healthy. I’m a wait and see on Levi right now. 

P - C I think Bojo was pretty good pinning teams back (at least a stat I thought I read somewhere, I could be wrong) but too inconsistent for my liking. I cringe every time he touches it. 

PK - B - , I’m all for giving Bass a shot and if he wins the battle so be it. I think we know Hauschka is becoming more limited in range. He hurt us in a few games and came up big for us as well. If this offense is dynamic as I think it can be, we may not be attempting too many fourty yard shots thus keeping him around.

Return A- Roberts is great.

Dabol- B , he’s actually grown on me. I think his offense can be 

pretty sweet in its creativity and multiple formations, but his feeling for playcalling needs to be greatly improved. Sometimes it feels like random play selection out of a madden game.

frasier A- doing a great job and definatley a better coordinator then head coach. Him and Mcd are great tandem to respond to the other teams. Like the giants game, Barkley ran all over us the first drive. Soon as they got a feel of how they wanted to attack us, we responded big time .

coach Mcd - A . Love the guy, his passion, work ethic, vision. Has done a lot with lesser talent roster. Time for him to take the next step. I don’t really mind his challenges , not great but the nfl replay system is about has certain his his challenge in the first place.

clock managemnt can be better. 

one area which I want to be better and I don’t know how to explain this other than This feeling I get of us being out coached by a lesser coach. Like I don’t feel like we should have lost to a Freddy kitchens team or Bill o brien team. Those two are clowns and I’m both instances we did have a chance to put them away. And we didn’t. We have to put the gas to the pedal and keep rolling. 

anyways good topic 

Edited by loveorhatembillsfan4life

12 hours ago, GreggTX said:

This is to predict the performance of each unit in 2020 based on the current roster.The DL and QB units were particularly tough to predict and could end up much better

TE: D (I still hate this group)

OL: C

CB: B (Tre is a stud, but CB2, Nickel and depth are wanting)

LB: C

DL: B (Might be better than this depending on youth.  Also I like our quality and depth at Edge better than interior DL)

11 hours ago, BuffaloBillies said:

My kid is in college. They no longer give anyone an "F" because of political sensitivity to the word "failure." So the new "F" is an "E". No joke. No more F's. 

When I was in K-12 (a LONG time ago) my school system used A thru E grades.  It was because they were the first five consecutive letters of the alphabet.  I always thought it was dumb for schools to use an F for failing because none of the other letters stood for a word. 

9 hours ago, BuffaloBillies said:

The only thing from college that follows you your whole life is your transcript.  Not good to h ave F's there.

13 hours ago, GreggTX said:

This is to predict the performance of each unit in 2020 based on the current roster.The DL and QB units were particularly tough to predict and could end up much better.

QB: C-

Allen is trying to get to Top 16 QB, he can't be rated any higher than average. Barkley's career statistics are atrocious. 

RB: B-

Singletary made plays, although the Coaching staff kept hamstringing the team by putting Gore in. But two 22/23 year olds, and Yeldon puts this group slightly above average, although lack of speed keeps it from a better grade. 

OL: C

The Bills have more depth than in years past. To me, this is an average unit. Sometimes they allow pass pressure. 

WR: B+

Diggs has increased his production every season, Brown is coming off a career year and Beasley is slotted perfectly. I also like the additions of Davis and Hodgins because the lower end of the group needed competition. 

I think Knox can be nice athlete on the field. But the rest of the group are fringe players, and Lee Smith is terrible. 

The Bills go 2-3 deep everywhere. No elite players, but a solid unit across the board. Epenesa, is a welcome shot of youth at DE, as Murphy is overpaid, Hughes is getting older, and Addison is already 33. 

LB: C+

Edmunds and Milano are athletic, but the Bills have virtually no depth at this position. They skipped LB in the Draft. 

CB: B

White is as good as they get, and I think Wallace has been steady since taking a starting job. I'm happy Kevin Johnson is gone. Depth is ok with the additions of Norman and Gaines. 

S: B

Hyde and Poyer are steady veterans with some playmaking ability, with decent runway left in their primes. 

Hopefully the Bills stick with Bass. Seems silly to cap yourselves at 49 yard field goals because you are reverent to Hauschka. 

15 hours ago, GreggTX said:

Too low on our LB's...Edmunds and Milano are excellent and one of the top duos in the NFL.

Too high on the RB's...although I like them (I REALLY like Moss), neither of them has proven anything yet.

A little too high on the safeties. They're good, but they're also products of this defense. I'd put them around a B.

Everything else is fine.

QB: B :  I think that Josh makes another step forward this year

RB: C+ : Singletary had good rookie showing & Moss has potential , but hasn't played a down yet. Yeldon doesn't do much for me. Hopefully this group overachieves.

TE: C- : If Knox shows significant improvement (a big "if") - this group grades higher.

WR: A- : If one of the rookies contribute - this group is a legitimate "A".

OL: B- : I expect some improvement here with a year together under the belt for this group - hope for some improvement from Cody Ford (another big "if").

CB: A- :  I like this group - a top tier player in Tre & some solid experience on the roster.

LB: C- : I see this group as very thin behind Edmunds & Milano - Beane has done a great job building depth everywhere else, but not so much with this group.  

DL: B- :  I like the talent here - will the youth contribute, will Oliver excel in his 2nd year (& not be suspended), do the older guys have something left in the tank? This unit could actually perform anywhere between an "A" and a "C".

S: A- : Top quality talent here.

ST: C- : Lower grade due to our issue with kickers , glad we drafted one - can only hope he works out & a new & improved punter emerges.

Edited by Bulldog
I forgot to put the safeties in

15 hours ago, GETTOTHE50 said:

QB: B 

WR/TE: A

OL: B

DL: B

LB: B

DB: A

ST: B 

I can stand by this grading here.....

I might give our OL an A- (potential) just due to the fact that we have all 5 returning starters, plus some solid additions.  But a B seems fair.

QB - (B-) We need Josh to stay healthy. Barkley is an average backup at best and Fromm is fresh off the boat. Josh gets a B+ alone, but the other two guys bring it down to a B-.

RB - (B) I see Singletary and Moss being better than what we had last year in Singletary and Gore. 

TE - (C+) I really like Knox, but I sure hope he's worked on catching the football this offseason. Smith is still a penalty machine, Croom is athletic, and Sweeney has some potential. 

WR - (B+) This could be an A+ by season's end if one of Davis/Williams/Hodgins can become that guy Josh just heaves the ball up to because he'll get those 50/50's almost every time. Diggs is a big time play maker, Brown was really good for us, and Beasley kills it from the slot. We might also get 1st year Foster back. Who knows? This unit could be special.

OL - (B) This unit is a solid B right now with the starters we have returning and the depth along the front. There may be some really tough cuts, or trades, come August. 

DL - (B) We lost JP and Shaq in FA, but added Addison, Butler, and Jefferson. Harrison Phillips will be back from injury. We also stole Epenesa in the latter part of the 2nd. We'll have to see how the puzzle fits together, but could easily be a solid B+ or even an A by year's end. 

LB - (B+) I know we lost Lorax, but we mainly run a lot of 2 LB sets anyway. Milano is really good (outside of a few missed tackles) and Edmunds is a superstar in the making. The 3rd guy could be any of the number of Klein, Joseph, Dodson, Thompson, whoever. We do have a pretty good group this year though imo. 

S - (A) Poyer and Hyde are one of the best tandems in the game. Our depth is solid as well.

CB - (B) We all know Tre is a top 3 CB in this league. After that it gets murky. Which Josh Norman will we see, Carolina Josh or Washington Josh? Can EJ Gaines remain healthy long enough to contribute and will he be as effective as he was before for us? Where does Levi Wallace fit in and can he be trusted to match up one on one with WR's? He got roasted quite a bit last year, especially on 3rd downs. Hopefully Taron Johnson stays healthy and continues to progress. Overall I like our depth and think this unit could be a solid A as well by the end of the season. 

ST - (C) Though I like the addition of Bass, he's never kicked in an NFL game yet. Hausch Money may be Hausch Homeless before too long. We still have CB as our punter and the only competition we brought in was Vedvik? Get ready to see some shanks again this year. I don't even know if Roberts makes the roster, but I'm sure we could easily find another punt catcher/kick off kneeler/return man from this roster without any issues. I like our return coverage as we have some really good ST players out there. This, however, is by far our weakest unit. Field position and making the most of your scoring opportunities are essential to winning football. Hopefully the kicking game is on point this year.