Has anyone pulled a hamstring?

Pete

15 hours ago, Pete said:

I’m 51, very active, well I pulled my hamstring playing tennis the other day.   Its a nagging injury, but the first time i pulled it.  My pull looks connected to my calves.  I’ve been trying to massage out scar tissue, icing, strengthening.  What’s the recovery time?  What rehab should I be doing?  When can I run again?   I’m trying to post picture of big bruise, but it’s too large a file.  Thanks for any advice, cheers!

Only rest will help, unfortunately. I wouldn’t try to push it, or else you will just keep re-aggravating it.

i have had an assortment of sports injuries after the age of 40 and its all because I don’t properly stretch and then when I do get a pull or something, I just play through it and make it much worse. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, JR in Pittsburgh said:

Only rest will help, unfortunately. I wouldn’t try to push it, or else you will just keep re-aggravating it.

i have had an assortment of sports injuries after the age of 40 and its all because I don’t properly stretch and then when I do get a pull or something, I just play through it and make it much worse. 

I pulled it playing tennis against my girlfriend.  I said “a smart person learns from their mistakes, a smarter person learns from other mistakes”. My big mistake was not warming up properly, which I’m usually fanatic about

16 minutes ago, Pete said:

I pulled it playing tennis against my girlfriend.  I said “a smart person learns from their mistakes, a smarter person learns from other mistakes”. My big mistake was not warming up properly, which I’m usually fanatic about

I think the biggest mistake was that rug.

?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 3

23 hours ago, Pete said:

I’m 51, very active, well I pulled my hamstring playing tennis the other day.   Its a nagging injury, but the first time i pulled it.  My pull looks connected to my calves.  I’ve been trying to massage out scar tissue, icing, strengthening.  What’s the recovery time?  What rehab should I be doing?  When can I run again?   I’m trying to post picture of big bruise, but it’s too large a file.  Thanks for any advice, cheers!

Yes.  And ugh.  I pulled mine in like 2008.  It was one of those where you could feel it "pop."  It was the most painful injury I have ever suffered (short term), and that includes tearing my ACL.  I could hardly bend it or walk for about a week, then slowly it came back.  However, it is still to this day not right.  I can still feel the spot where it happened in my leg.  If I try to exert myself I have to be extremely careful not to do anything to it again.  Often I can feel it getting tender and I have to stop an activity before I do something bad to it.  Doesn't really affect light strain, but heavy strain is iffy.  Lots of stretching before doing anything I know may be stressful on it.  Quite frankly, it sucks and will continue to suck for the rest of my life. 

There is a reason you always see athletes re-injure their hammy's.  Once you have a big one, the chances for re-injury is very high...and they are using the best doctors and PT people in the world.

I would do a ton of stretching constantly.  And then, when you think it doesn't hurt anymore do a ton of stretching for a few more weeks until you try getting back into things for real.  It may feel healed, but that can change in an instant when you push it.  Don't try to rush it, you will re-aggravate it.

Hopefully yours wasn't as serious as mine my friend.  I literally cannot sprint any longer without feeling something and stopping pretty quickly.

Edited by Mark80
  • Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, JohnC said:

There's a famous doctor who is an expert in your type of lingering and frustrating injury. Give him a call. He will give you clear and understandable instructions on how to return to form. :ph34r:

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=doctor+irwin+corey&docid=607990725548704372&mid=3B3C574658E0212448F63B3C574658E0212448F6&view=detail&FORM=VIRE

Sound Medical Advice From Dr. Leo Spaceman - GIF on Imgur

• Haha (+1) 2

36 minutes ago, Mark80 said:

Yes.  And ugh.  I pulled mine in like 2008.  It was one of those where you could feel it "pop."  It was the most painful injury I have ever suffered (short term), and that includes tearing my ACL.  I could hardly bend it or walk for about a week, then slowly it came back.  However, it is still to this day not right.  I can still feel the spot where it happened in my leg.  If I try to exert myself I have to be extremely careful not to do anything to it again.  Often I can feel it getting tender and I have to stop an activity before I do something bad to it.  Doesn't really affect light strain, but heavy strain is iffy.  Lots of stretching before doing anything I know may be stressful on it.  Quite frankly, it sucks and will continue to suck for the rest of my life. 

There is a reason you always see athletes re-injure their hammy's.  Once you have a big one, the chances for re-injury is very high...and they are using the best doctors and PT people in the world.

I would do a ton of stretching constantly.  And then, when you think it doesn't hurt anymore do a ton of stretching for a few more weeks until you try getting back into things for real.  It may feel healed, but that can change in an instant when you push it.  Don't try to rush it, you will re-aggravate it.

Hopefully yours wasn't as serious as mine my friend.  I literally cannot sprint any longer without feeling something and stopping pretty quickly.

Thank you Mark.  I'm sorry to hear about your injury.  Mine was nowhere near as severe.  Still it was very painful.  I can only imagine how painful yours was.  When a sprinter locks up and grabs the back of their leg-that has to be intense pain.  

Brother have you tried myofascial massage for your hamstring?  It works out scar tissue which is root source of many hamstring injuries.

Do you think this might be an ACL?

0F7BCA17-79E4-485F-98FE-24043DE73836.png

Mark- I’ve been having some success treating my hamstring doing that myofascial technique in video.

So I applied same massage technique to my tennis elbow which has been in a constant dull pain for decade.  I massaged elbow with massage ball.  Find a spot that is tender.  Work out that spot only- after 10-15 seconds, pain should diminish. Stick with it.  I hope it works for you brother.  
Oh yeah- my tennis elbow pain went away!

Hope brother!

2 minutes ago, Pete said:

Mark- I’ve been having some success treating my hamstring doing that myofascial technique in video.

So I applied same massage technique to my tennis elbow which has been in a constant dull pain for decade.  I massaged elbow with massage ball.  Find a spot that is tender.  Work out that spot only- after 10-15 seconds, pain should diminish. Stick with it.  I hope it works for you brother.  

Hope brother!

From my experience if it was ACL you would know it.  You would have felt your knee go out of its socket when it happened (albeit briefly) and then the next day your knee would be extremely swollen and painful (not so much pain for me when it actually happened).  My ACL injury didn't have any bruising.  That bruising looks like a muscle issue to me and I've seen pulls/strains have that.  When my hammy popped, it did not have the bruising though.

Thanks for the advice, however, my whole leg is f'd.  I never got my ACL repaired and I think it has directly resulted in the Hammy injury as well as some lower calf/achilles injury.  Not getting the ACL fixed led to overcompensating for it, I believe.  Can hardly even jog anymore because of the lower calf / achilles.  Most of my exercise is restricted to the treadmill (walking), ellipticals, and bikes these days.  And all of those are sooooo much more boring than sports.

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Augie said:

I am sensing Peter Pan here........maybe I’m just a scardy cat? Maybe I am learning? 

The truth is out there. You just need to seek it. And when you find it don't be afraid of it. Just embrace it. That is not to say that your loved ones will consider you crazy. :ph34r:

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=x-file+the+truth+is+out+there&docid=608008296244776736&mid=D34889F93C6A6705D86BD34889F93C6A6705D86B&view=detail&FORM=VIRE

47 minutes ago, Mark80 said:

From my experience if it was ACL you would know it.  You would have felt your knee go out of its socket when it happened (albeit briefly) and then the next day your knee would be extremely swollen and painful (not so much pain for me when it actually happened).  My ACL injury didn't have any bruising.  That bruising looks like a muscle issue to me and I've seen pulls/strains have that.  When my hammy popped, it did not have the bruising though.

Thanks for the advice, however, my whole leg is f'd.  I never got my ACL repaired and I think it has directly resulted in the Hammy injury as well as some lower calf/achilles injury.  Not getting the ACL fixed led to overcompensating for it, I believe.  Can hardly even jog anymore because of the lower calf / achilles.  Most of my exercise is restricted to the treadmill (walking), ellipticals, and bikes these days.  And all of those are sooooo much more boring than sports.

Yeah, your hammy and acl kind of work on the same side of your knee to stabilize it, like the PCL and quad do on the other side. The ACL is a ligament so it won't bleed. Pete, after you get healed up, you may find that your hamstring is a little weaker now, you may want to work on strengthening it a little more. Start slowly of course and check it against your right leg with single leg curls or similar. 

Full disclosure, I am not a doctor or anything, I have a partially torn PCL from college athletics and I did tear my hamstring 10 or so years after that. I thought the hamstring was a pull until when my ex-SIL started on a massage career, needed patients for class and she could feel the remnants of the tear in my muscle.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Pete said:

Hope brother!

Don’t get me started on tennis elbow! I suffered through that for over a year! Couldn’t even shake someone’s hand. 

• Like (+1) 1

the blood is in the calf because the muscle is bleeding from being torn and gravity makes blood go down the leg

as mentioned.  This is your curse now.  It will be increasingly easier to do this (and it will even hurt less at the time of the pull)... but make it very tough to participate in explosive sports, especially with limited/no stretching and/or in cold weather.  

I have learned that this is why you dont see a lot of baseball players, at least non-DHs into their 40s.

Edited by May Day 10
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 6/14/2020 at 2:11 PM, May Day 10 said:

There is no escape

Basically, no "explosive" sports like tennis or baseball/softball.

You will think you're healed, try playing, pull it again, and be back to square 1.  

Jogging, swimming, skating/hockey are ok.  

Basically it's time that's needed.  Good stretching from now on

Exactly, May Day. I have always had tight hammies despite stretching before activities. I tore my right hammy in my twenties legging out a triple during a charity softball game for muscular dystrophy. I started for home on an overthrow from the outfield and it gave out on me, then the other one popped about halfway to 2/3 down the line. I crawled across home plate. lol I didn't realize how bad the right one was until I looked back a day or so later and saw that the entire back of my leg was a purplish black and blue from where the blood had pooled. That was a scary surprise. It was at least a month before I was feeling right.

On 6/15/2020 at 5:59 AM, Pete said:

2B5B0717-0A6A-4C49-9C6B-0156616EEE95.jpeg

Pete...hope you are feeling better soon but, please, no beefcake shots for @Sherlock Holmes

?

• Like (+1) 1