Has anyone pulled a hamstring?

Pete

I’m 51, very active, well I pulled my hamstring playing tennis the other day.   Its a nagging injury, but the first time i pulled it.  My pull looks connected to my calves.  I’ve been trying to massage out scar tissue, icing, strengthening.  What’s the recovery time?  What rehab should I be doing?  When can I run again?   I’m trying to post picture of big bruise, but it’s too large a file.  Thanks for any advice, cheers!

1 hour ago, Pete said:

I’m 51, very active, well I pulled my hamstring playing tennis the other day.   Its a nagging injury, but the first time i pulled it.  My pull looks connected to my calves.  I’ve been trying to massage out scar tissue, icing, strengthening.  What’s the recovery time?  What rehab should I be doing?  When can I run again?   I’m trying to post picture of big bruise, but it’s too large a file.  Thanks for any advice, cheers!

Sorry to hear this Pete... hope you are on the mend soon. This should give you an idea of what you're looking at and what to do, there are different levels so I guess you have to figure out which one you are: https://www.webmd.com/fitness-exercise/hamstring-strain#1

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Pete said:

This sucks; sorry to hear it.  I haven't pulled a hamstring since high school football, but I don't ever remember the pain going all the way down to may calf, nor do I remember visible bruising.

Hoping one of the resident docs checks in, but this sounds like more than a pulled hammy.  Good luck, Pete!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I pulled one playing tennis in my 40’s. It took months to fully get over it. I got a Velcro strap I could wrap around it which allowed me to get back on the courts sooner, but it did this funny thing when I walked, made my leg kind of kick up abnormally, like walking was new to me. But it did protect me. 

As Gugny said, I’m not sure what the bruising (blood) is about or why it’s down into your calf. I had nothing like that. Have you gone to see anyone about this? It sounds like maybe you should.  Good luck getting thru this. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Rest and time are your friend. When you are ready to get back into it, spinning/biking are a low impact way to get the blood pumping back into the muscles. I'd be very careful to stretch, or push too quickly. A lot depends on the severity of the pull. Does it hurt when you walk?

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

There is no escape

Basically, no "explosive" sports like tennis or baseball/softball.

You will think you're healed, try playing, pull it again, and be back to square 1.  

Jogging, swimming, skating/hockey are ok.  

Basically it's time that's needed.  Good stretching from now on

• Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

On a Sunday morning, and on a 'family friendly' forum?!  ?  I feel like Sam the Eagle from the original Muppet Show.

Back when GE paid for us to join the Y I did have a slight pull. 

2 hours ago, May Day 10 said:

There is no escape

Basically, no "explosive" sports like tennis or baseball/softball.

You will think you're healed, try playing, pull it again, and be back to square 1.  

Jogging, swimming, skating/hockey are ok.  

Basically it's time that's needed.  Good stretching from now on

This.

I dont know about your calf.  Not sure why that would be.

The inside of pretty much my entire thigh turned all kinds of black and blue for at least a couple of weeks.  

Listen to you body.  It tells you not to run when you think you can. Give it plenty of time.  

• Like (+1) 1

On 6/14/2020 at 8:02 AM, Pete said:

Blood/bruise is indicitive of a tear, more than a pull. Confused about the calf connection, hammies connect to the same side of your knee as the acl ligament but not directly to the calf. Sounds like you should see someone to get the entire scope of your issue. 

Edited by 4BillsintheBurgh
  • Like (+1) 3

I twisted my knee playing hockey last year, but even after it healed my hamstring and calf were hurting for months. Finally went to a sports therapist who thought I also strained my hamstring. I went twice a week for two months where he used ultrasound and taught me stretching exercises to do at home, and it eventually went away. I’m 59 and I don’t heal as quickly as I used to.

• Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, Pete said:

There's a famous doctor who is an expert in your type of lingering and frustrating injury. Give him a call. He will give you clear and understandable instructions on how to return to form. :ph34r:

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=doctor+irwin+corey&docid=607990725548704372&mid=3B3C574658E0212448F63B3C574658E0212448F6&view=detail&FORM=VIRE

Edited by JohnC
  • Haha (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, JohnC said:

There's a famous doctor who is an expert in your type of lingering and frustrating injury. Give him a call. He will give you clear and understandable instructions on how to return to form. :ph34r:

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=doctor+irwin+corey&docid=607990725548704372&mid=3B3C574658E0212448F63B3C574658E0212448F6&view=detail&FORM=VIRE

I am sensing Peter Pan here........maybe I’m just a scardy cat? Maybe I am learning?