Bill O'Brien will kneel...JJ Watt says kneeling is no disrespect to the flag or military

What if McDermott announced he would kneel?  

299 members have voted

1. 1. Would you be in support of McDermott kneeling in protest with his players this year?

• Yes, I would support it
    • No, I would not support that

32 minutes ago, Big C said:

If the star player who SALUTES after every sack says it's OK to kneel during the anthem, it's case closed. 

nah, not for a few people apparently. Really will miss those folk too. A real open-minded bunch; hard to see them go ?

• Haha (+1) 3

I don't support anyone kneeling during the anthem at a football game.  Call me old, stupid, racist, whatever, but that is how I feel.   I think there are far better ways to make the point that really needs to be made. 

Even it you understand it has nothing to do with the military or the flag, it offends a lot of people and it does not help anything, so I just don't support it. 

• Thank you (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, Bob in STL said:

I don't support anyone kneeling during the anthem at a football game.  Call me old, stupid, racist, whatever, but that is how I feel.   I think there are far better ways to make the point that really needs to be made. 

Even it you understand it has nothing to do with the military or the flag, it offends a lot of people and it does not help anything, so I just don't support it. 

You’re absolutely entitled to your opinion. We just disagree on the bolded. How much talk has Colin Kapernick’s protest generated? To say that it hasn’t been impactful just isn’t true. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

14 hours ago, Rob's House said:

Total strawman.

I didn't say a damn thing about what blacks talk about. I'm talking about the BLM movement, which is the topic of this thread, and something I do know quite a bit about, so I'll drive in any lane I damn well please. This movement doesn't give a ***** about black on black crime or anything else that affects the lives, health, and well-being of the black community. In fact, it's considered "racist" to even bring it up. 

This movement is narrowly focused because it's not about you. I know you and most of the people supporting and participating in it think it is, but it's really not. 

This didn't happen organically. It's organized and it's been orchestrated by people who have a completely different set of goals from yours and who are exploiting your perceived grievances to achieve those goals. The same people who have been trying to stir up racial tensions for a good long while now.

Think about it. This isn't doing anything to help black people. It's caused, and will cause, both directly and indirectly, more hardship, suffering, and death of black people than racist cops could ever dream of doing. It's completely counterproductive.

Murder rates will skyrocket in the coming months (they already have in some areas), communities and livelihoods have been destroyed, and there's growing animosity between you and people that don't have any problem with you.

It's certainly not going to improve policing. Everyone says they want better cops, but how does this achieve that end? Do you think making law enforcement the least desirable job in America is going to improve the applicant pool?

And no offense, but I'm a little tired of being preached to by people who think they've got a monopoly on the truth, and that the rest of us should just shut up and accept the opinion we're told to have. 

You wrote:

"It comes off as a little disingenuous when you claim your primary goal is the preservation of black life, but you put nearly all your efforts into reducing one relatively small, but politically advantageous, cause of black deaths(BLM) while giving nary a thought to things that cause more black deaths by orders of magnitude."(Black on black killings)

Talk about a straw man argument. You're the king of this. 

1) The fact that you think blacks don't care about black on black violence and that should invalidate or minimize the BLM movement is total bull####. "Until black on black killings stop, it's wrong to protest police violence on blacks". Total bull####. I know you were talking about the BLM movement, but you decided to answer a question posed to someone else and included comments on both BLM and black on black killings in your reply to me. No?

2) Interesting. Are you acknowledging improvements need to be made? Never mind, I know the answer.

3) Not preaching, nor claiming I speak the truth. JMO.

You should have left it to Beast to answer if he wanted to. You're still in the wrong lane, big man, except now your driving in the wrong direction too.

• Awesome! (+1) 2

I’m cool with JJ Watt saying his opinion. But there are veterans whom find this disrespectful, and JJ Watts opinion does not negate theirs. Nor are the opinions of veterans who don’t find it disrespectful negated by people who find it respectful. 

Look, let’s watch football and remember that the best/only reasons to hate people are if they’re a Pats, Jets, or Dolphins fan....because those people aren’t even people. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Dopey said:

You wrote:

"It comes off as a little disingenuous when you claim your primary goal is the preservation of black life, but you put nearly all your efforts into reducing one relatively small, but politically advantageous, cause of black deaths(BLM) while giving nary a thought to things that cause more black deaths by orders of magnitude."(Black on black killings)

Talk about a straw man argument. You're the king of this. 

1) The fact that you think blacks don't care about black on black violence and that should invalidate or minimize the BLM movement is total bull####. "Until black on black killings stop, it's wrong to protest police violence on blacks". Total bull####. I know you were talking about the BLM movement, but you decided to answer a question posed to someone else and included comments on both BLM and black on black killings in your reply to me. No?

If you had a valid argument you'd stop beating up this straw man.

5 hours ago, Dopey said:

2) Interesting. Are you acknowledging improvements need to be made? Never mind, I know the answer.

Nothing of substance here.

5 hours ago, Dopey said:

3) Not preaching, nor claiming I speak the truth. JMO.

That's refreshing

5 hours ago, Dopey said:

You should have left it to Beast to answer if he wanted to. You're still in the wrong lane, big man, except now your driving in the wrong direction too.

Beast can speak for himself, but it's an open forum.

The fact that you can't refute a single point I made seems to indicate I'm in the driver's seat and headed to victory lane.

• Like (+1) 1

• SDS locked this topic