Bill O'Brien will kneel...JJ Watt says kneeling is no disrespect to the flag or military

What if McDermott announced he would kneel?  

299 members have voted

1. 1. Would you be in support of McDermott kneeling in protest with his players this year?

• Yes, I would support it
    • No, I would not support that

27 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Does your career revolve around building trust with black families? If it does, I’d say you’re making a pretty bad decision.

Yes. For the past 30 years and I do quite well with the black community.

Personal responsibility, no matter your race, is an AMAZING thing.

Now, ask me what I feel about white lives matter, yellow lives matter, blue lives matter...

I will tell you the same answer to those as I do to black lives matter.

Edited by Beast
  • Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Beast said:

I’d venture to guess your work with the black community doesn’t involve telling them you are against Black Lives Matter. No, that little diddy is just for us special folk here.

Edited by TheProcess
  • Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Rob's House said:

It's not different. Of course they have the option, but the fact that this is even an issue speaks to the bigger problem.

The idea that a coach wearing a shirt with a news station logo lead people to worry about the well being of their kids or build mistrust illustrates the bigger societal problem here.

That’s the world and climate that we are living in. People in Gundy’s shoes need to be acutely aware of it. His livelihood depends on it. Fair or not, we are all accountable to our actions and beliefs. A guy whose career depends on building trust with young black men and their families need to be hyper aware. At best, Gundy is stupid. At worst, his values aren’t aligned with those he needs. Either way it’s going to be tough for him.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, TroutDog said:

This is really shortsighted. News stations aren’t ‘opinion’. That is a segment on news. News is a fact that is being shared and opinion is just what it says. 

This is a notion that's been gone for a long time. "News" is hard to find these days. Editorializing is what sells.

Edited by LB3

11 minutes ago, Beast said:

Now, ask me what I feel about white lives matter, yellow lives matter, blue lives matter...

I will tell you the same answer to those as I do to black lives matter.

I don’t believe supporting OAN is a good recruiting strategy for a NCAA football coach. These families have many options. They will steer things towards people whose values are more in line with their own. That’s what WILL happen. 

6 minutes ago, MILFHUNTER#518 said:

If he wore a BLM t-shirt, or a Biden 2020 ball cap, would the blowback be the same??

Absolutely not!! It would probably help his case. College coaches are in sales first and foremost. They are selling the idea that their program is the best place for the kid. Saying, “our values are aligned” is a really good sales strategy. I’ve been in sales for 15+ years. It’s WAY easier to sell someone that trusts you and believes you have their best interest at heart. That’s common sense, no?

Edited by Kirby Jackson
  • Like (+1) 2

21 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

So how are OAN commentators comments on BLM showing respect for all of our rights to freedom, equality and dignity?

If your commentator calls a movement that is loose and disorganized but in general protesting and raising awareness to lack of respectful dignified equal treatment of black people by law enforcement a "farce" that is "only out for revenge", is that "showing respect for each other's rights to freedom equality and dignity"?

You're further illustrating my point. 

It's no longer enough to respect each other's differences, you must now subscribe to my views wholesale, lest you be labeled a bigot.

The organization Black Lives Matter is not just an abstract notion standing for the proposition that we should care if black people die. It's a political organization with a much broader platform. It is not racist, nor does it disrespect anyone's right to freedom, equality, and dignity, to criticize the organization, its methods, or its sincerity.

This deification of BLM is the equivalent of holding my hypothetical political activist organization above reproach. It's called Stop Molesting Children. We protest child abuse and adopt the entire right-wing platform. Anyone who criticizes us is a pedophile.

See how ridiculous that sounds?

To another point, if you're going to attribute all the statements of all the commentators of any station to anyone who openly likes that station, then no one can like any news network without being maligned.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

anyone listen to Pearl Jam?  These lyrics seem to really resonate today, even though the song came out 22 years ago, which might as well be 22 centuries ago.

Brain of J:

Who's got the brain of JFK?
What's it mean to us now?
Oh, it's sound insurance
But I can tell you, this is no lie

The whole world will be different soon
The whole world will be relieving

You, you've been taught
We'd been the same, now they got you in line
Stand behind the stripes
There will be order, so give it a good mind

And by name
The name they gave me
The name I'm letting go

• Like (+1) 1

You have to know your audience!! Lol, it’s not that complicated. It’s one of things that Trump has mastered. The reason that he’s anti-mask, law and order, open the country, etc... is because that what his audience wants. He plays to his base, his supporters and their beliefs. That’s a good business strategy for him.

A college coach needs to care about systemic racism. They need to care about the challenges that black people face in this country. That’s their audience!! 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

15 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

That’s the world and climate that we are living in. People in Gundy’s shoes need to be acutely aware of it. His livelihood depends on it. Fair or not, we are all accountable to our actions and beliefs. A guy whose career depends on building trust with young black men and their families need to be hyper aware. At best, Gundy is stupid. At worst, his values aren’t aligned with those he needs. Either way it’s going to be tough for him.

That's kind of the point. The world we are living in is becoming increasingly divisive, toxic, and intolerant of opposing points of view.

That's not something to celebrate or encourage.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Rob's House said:

That's kind of the point. The world we are living in is becoming increasingly divisive, toxic, and intolerant of opposing points of view.

That's not something to celebrate or encourage.

It didn’t used to be this way, just saying...

6 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I don’t believe supporting OAN is a good recruiting strategy for a NCAA football coach. These families have many options. They will steer things towards people whose values are more in line with their own. That’s what WILL happen. 

Absolutely not!! It would probably help his case. College coaches are in sales first and foremost. They are selling the idea that their program is the best place for the kid. Saying, “our values are aligned” is a really good sales strategy. I’ve been in sales for 15+ years. It’s WAY easier to sell someone that trusts you and believes you have their best interest at heart. That’s common sense, no?

This is a case study in how the far left does not support free speech. He is a private citizen. He should be able to wear an OAN tee just as much as he should be able to wear an MSNBC or CNN or Young Turks tee without blowback.

Conservatives ARE aligned with black families much more so than you would think. They oppose abortion, go to church more so than leftists by a large margin, are pro nuclear family, etc. The only reason this is an issue is that there is a quasi modo French Revolution going on right now, where ANYBODY that steps out of line with the Antifa narrative is destroyed. Conservatives need to screw on their gonads and pull on their big boy pants, this is a war not a skirmish. 

3 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

You have to know your audience!! Lol, it’s not that complicated. It’s one of things that Trump has mastered. The reason that he’s anti-mask, law and order, open the country, etc... is because that what his audience wants. He plays to his base, his supporters and their beliefs. That’s a good business strategy for him.

A college coach needs to care about systemic racism. They need to care about the challenges that black people face in this country. That’s their audience!! 

Does the orange man destroy the antifa insurgents who took over 6 city blocks in Seattle, all the Karen's who chastise people who wont wear a mask outside in open air 20 ft away from anybody, etc.

This whole culture war is scary, man. We should be able to have our own views and EXPRESS THEM without fear of losing our livlihoods... 

• Like (+1) 2

22 minutes ago, MILFHUNTER#518 said:

If he wore a BLM t-shirt, or a Biden 2020 ball cap, would the blowback be the same??

I’m struggling to see how this is relevant: the point is a person of authority in the public sphere should recognize what is divisive and what is not. Surely so many here are not so obtuse to recognize this simple fact. 

Edited by TroutDog

4 minutes ago, MILFHUNTER#518 said:

This is a case study in how the far left does not support free speech. He is a private citizen. He should be able to wear an OAN tee just as much as he should be able to wear an MSNBC or CNN or Young Turks tee without blowback.

Conservatives ARE aligned with black families much more so than you would think. They oppose abortion, go to church more so than leftists by a large margin, are pro nuclear family, etc. The only reason this is an issue is that there is a quasi modo French Revolution going on right now, where ANYBODY that steps out of line with the Antifa narrative is destroyed. Conservatives need to screw on their gonads and pull on their big boy pants, this is a war not a skirmish. 

Does the orange man destroy the antifa insurgents who took over 6 city blocks in Seattle, all the Karen's who chastise people who wont wear a mask outside in open air 20 ft away from anybody, etc.

This whole culture war is scary, man. We should be able to have our own views and EXPRESS THEM without fear of losing our livlihoods... 

And the black player at Oklahoma State gets to express his as well.

Just now, MILFHUNTER#518 said:

He wore a shirt of a network that called BLM “a farce.” Unless you live under a rock the BLM movement is the single most important thing to black people in this country. If your livelihood depends on black people it’s probably a good idea to support what’s important to them. 

No one is denying that Gundy is free to believe what he wants. No one is stupid enough though to realize the potential repercussions on the recruiting trail. Ultimately, not supporting what your audience does is a great way to lose your job. It’s been happening in politics for decades. While he’s free to wear the shirt, recruits are free to go elsewhere. That gesture was career suicide. 

26 minutes ago, TheProcess said:

I’d venture to guess your work with the black community doesn’t involve telling them you are against Black Lives Matter. No, that little diddy is just for us special folk here.

No. Unlike the social warriors here it doesn't even come up when I am dealing with them.

Or whites.

Or Hispanics.

Or Asians.

Or Indians.

Not once in my 30 year career has anyone asked me how I feel about how their lives matter and we have worked together quite well.

Imagine that you little warrior you! ?

6 minutes ago, MILFHUNTER#518 said:

This "blowback" your referencing is literally based on people's perception, and opinion of OAN. So, you're saying that Gundy should have the freedom to wear a T-shirt, but others should't have the freedom to express their opinion about it? How is that not a double standard?

24 minutes ago, MILFHUNTER#518 said:

He is a private citizen.

You do recognize how wrong you are here, right? Your entire argument falters at the outset. 

He is an employee of a public institution of higher learning who is responsible for coaching young men. Really? Just silly. 

Edited by TroutDog