Bill O'Brien will kneel...JJ Watt says kneeling is no disrespect to the flag or military

What if McDermott announced he would kneel?  

299 members have voted

1. 1. Would you be in support of McDermott kneeling in protest with his players this year?

• Yes, I would support it
    • No, I would not support that

2 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

If he can’t recruit and win he can’t keep his job. It’s really that simple. He’s going to lose talent and ultimately his job. It may not come immediately but he added a target to his back. He makes over $5M a year to recruit and win. This isn’t good for that. That was the point. 

In this day and age who gives a flying *****?

If being a Conservative white male keeps black kids from attending school because of that coach I have news for you....this country is *****.

1 minute ago, LB3 said:

Go to the Wiki for OAN. "Far right". ??

I know.

Amazing.

Edited by Beast

Just now, Beast said:

Didn't you know that being a Conservative white male means you are a racist?

Supporting a network that doesn’t believe in Black Lives Matter isn’t a good career decision for a guy whose livelihood depends on gaining the trust of black families, no? You can’t possibly think otherwise. You can shout “cancel culture” or whatever but that’s a really, really, really stupid business decision. That part isn’t up for debate.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Kirby Jackson said:

Supporting a network that doesn’t believe in Black Lives Matter isn’t a good career decision for a guy whose livelihood depends on gaining the trust of black families, no? You can’t possibly think otherwise. You can shout “cancel culture” or whatever but that’s a really, really, really stupid business decision. That part isn’t up for debate.

You're not wrong about the business aspect. You're 100% right. 

That said, notice what you just said here? Not that they disagree that black lives matter. You specifically referred to the organization. That they don't believe in the organization. An organization that is a funnel for ActBlue.

Grifting

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

If you don’t think parents of young black men will be offended you’re wrong. Not even naive just straight up wrong. Coaches will use this against him often. If you think that this has zero impact on recruiting I have a bridge for sale. That’s the reason that he backpedaled like Deion Sanders today. It isn’t that he saw the light. It’s that he did MASSIVE damage to his recruiting efforts. 

That, in a nutshell, is everything that's wrong with this movement.

It used to be enough to respect each other's rights to freedom, equality, and dignity. Now the message is if you don't share my political point of view you're a racist.

This isn't progress. It's regressive and toxic.

• Thank you (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, LB3 said:

You're not wrong about the business aspect. You're 100% right. 

That said, notice what you just said here? Not that they disagree that black lives matter. You specifically referred to the organization. That they don't believe in the organization. An organization that is a funnel for ActBlue.

Grifting

Regardless, the guy committed career suicide. It’s interesting because college athletics have a different business model than the pros. In the pros if you have ownership’s support you’ll be okay. 8In college you need the trust of the players and families as they have options. Team’s compete for these guys regularly. This will ultimately end his time at OSU. It might not be immediately but they aren’t going to have a choice. They aren’t going to be able to get the players necessary to beat OU (although he’s 2-13 against them). 

22 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

If you don’t think parents of young black men will be offended you’re wrong. Not even naive just straight up wrong. Coaches will use this against him often. If you think that this has zero impact on recruiting I have a bridge for sale. That’s the reason that he backpedaled like Deion Sanders today. It isn’t that he saw the light. It’s that he did MASSIVE damage to his recruiting efforts. 

Maybe he should find out what the network's views are, BEFORE he puts on the shirt?

• Sad 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I don't support Black Lives Matter.

Should I be thrown off these message boards?

5 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Maybe he should find out what the network's views are, BEFORE he puts on the shirt?

Wrongthink. What exactly are that networks views, in your opinion?

Edited by LB3

3 minutes ago, Rob's House said:

It used to be enough to respect each other's rights to freedom, equality, and dignity. Now the message is if you don't share my political point of view you're a racist.

It’s different in this case though. The recruits (and families) have the OPTION to pick a program where the player will be in the best hands. They can certainly forgive him but they all want to put the player’s well-being above all else.

You can send your kid to Gundy or Mack Brown. What is important to that man is important to you. That’s why this was an epically stupid decision by Gundy. He has a right to believe in whatever he wants. His career is predicated on building trust with black people. That’s not the best way to do it.

4 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Regardless, the guy committed career suicide. It’s interesting because college athletics have a different business model than the pros. In the pros if you have ownership’s support you’ll be okay. 8In college you need the trust of the players and families as they have options. Team’s compete for these guys regularly. This will ultimately end his time at OSU. It might not be immediately but they aren’t going to have a choice. They aren’t going to be able to get the players necessary to beat OU (although he’s 2-13 against them). 

I agree. He's not only a coward, he's dumb for not knowing this. No reason to apologize for your beliefs if forgiveness can't be had.

Edited by LB3
  • Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Rob's House said:

So how are OAN commentators comments on BLM showing respect for all of our rights to freedom, equality and dignity?

If your commentator calls a movement that is loose and disorganized but in general protesting and raising awareness to lack of respectful dignified equal treatment of black people by law enforcement a "farce" that is "only out for revenge", is that "showing respect for each other's rights to freedom equality and dignity"?

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

So how are OAN commentators comments on BLM showing respect for all of our rights to freedom, equality and dignity?

If your commentator calls a movement that is loose and disorganized but in general protesting and raising awareness to lack of respectful dignified equal treatment of black people by law enforcement a "farce" that is "only out for revenge", is that "showing respect for each other's rights to freedom equality and dignity"?

This is a fantastic post but not for the reason you'd think. You literally just proved his point.  Cheers ?.

• Thank you (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, LB3 said:

Wrongthink. What exactly are that networks views, in your opinion?

Is calling my question "wrongthink" showing respect for my opinion and my right to freedom of speech in your viewpoint?

The point isn't what I think that networks' views are.  I don't watch it.  I don't wear a shirt with it on, either.

My point is what Gundy himself is saying.  If he is now "disgusted" after finding out what OAN's views on BLM etc are, perhaps he should find out their views before he puts on the shirt and wears it around.

It's like that kicker the Pats drafted with the 3 percenter tattoo on his arm.  He's now saying the group is something he doesn't want to represent.

I think it's better to take personal responsibility for what we do, which means doing some research and understanding what a symbol or a network or anything else we choose to publicize (or get inked on our bodies) means, beforehand - not backtracking "Oh, I didn't know, now I know and I'm disgusted!"

• Awesome! (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

It's like that kicker the Pats drafted with the 3 percenter tattoo on his arm.  He's now saying the group is something he doesn't want to represent.

Maybe he now has some “regerts”? 

• Haha (+1) 2

10 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Is calling my question "wrongthink" showing respect for my opinion and my right to freedom of speech in your viewpoint?

The point isn't what I think that networks' views are.  I don't watch it.  I don't wear a shirt with it on, either.

My point is what Gundy himself is saying.  If he is now "disgusted" after finding out what OAN's views on BLM etc are, perhaps he should find out their views before he puts on the shirt and wears it around.

I think it's better to take personal responsibility for what we do, which means doing some research and understanding what a symbol or a network or anything else we choose to publicize (or get inked on our bodies), beforehand - not backtracking "Oh, I didn't know, now I know and I'm disgusted!"

That would be "no"

Wrongthink is what Gundy has been accused of. And he's not disgusted. Correction. I guarantee he's disgusted he has to apologize for it. But I digress.

You missed the point of Rob's post. Everyone has the right to think someone else's opinion is trash. Disagreement is good. Having your life ruined for not having the "right" opinion is where things stop being respectful. Gundy's career is essentially over because he likes a news organization. There's no respect for his beliefs. He's been canceled.

Edited by LB3
  • Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

It’s different in this case though. The recruits (and families) have the OPTION to pick a program where the player will be in the best hands. They can certainly forgive him but they all want to put the player’s well-being above all else.

You can send your kid to Gundy or Mack Brown. What is important to that man is important to you. That’s why this was an epically stupid decision by Gundy. He has a right to believe in whatever he wants. His career is predicated on building trust with black people. That’s not the best way to do it.

It's not different. Of course they have the option, but the fact that this is even an issue speaks to the bigger problem.

The idea that a coach wearing a shirt with a news station logo lead people to worry about the well being of their kids or build mistrust illustrates the bigger societal problem here.

1 minute ago, Rob's House said:

It's not different. Of course they have the option, but the fact that this is even an issue speaks to the bigger problem.

The idea that a coach wearing a shirt with a news station logo lead people to worry about the well being of their kids or build mistrust illustrates the bigger societal problem here.

Taught mistrust sows more mistrust. It's a self fulfilling prophecy.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, LB3 said:

Wrongthink is what Gundy has been accused of. And he's not disgusted. Correction. I guarantee he's disgusted he has to apologize for it. But I digress.

You missed the point of Rob's post. Everyone has the right to think someone else's opinion is trash. Disagreement is good. Having your life ruined for not having the "right" opinion is where things stop being respectful. Gundy's career is essentially over because he likes a news organization. There's no respect for his beliefs. He's been canceled.

This is really shortsighted. News stations aren’t ‘opinion’. That is a segment on news. News is a fact that is being shared and opinion is just what it says. 

OAN, while you may appreciate it, is basically only opinion...an opinion that is not generally shared by the masses. Doesn’t make it wrong necessarily, but does make it dangerous for those in the public sphere as it is opinion based. 

As for the rest: disagreement is only ‘good’ if you have parties that are open and willing to listen and learn...and walk away when it gets too hot so they can come back later and be reasonable. Many are incapable of this today...like many here in this thread. 

My opinion. 

• Thank you (+1) 1