Bill O'Brien will kneel...JJ Watt says kneeling is no disrespect to the flag or military

What if McDermott announced he would kneel?  

299 members have voted

1. 1. Would you be in support of McDermott kneeling in protest with his players this year?

• Yes, I would support it
    • No, I would not support that

3 hours ago, RiotAct said:

I’m fine.

You sure? 

2 hours ago, BillsFan17 said:

You're pretty sure? Moreover, the fact my race, religion, creed, means more than my views says more about you than me. 

Also, this is far from arguing, this is someone trying to project, and failing. I don't need some complete stranger guessing my ethnicity, acting upon that assumption, than trying to insult me.

You are part of the problem.

So, what is your ethnicity?

36 minutes ago, Margarita said:

you are imposing this victimhood on yourself I dont buy it. dozens of threads in the football forum you know what it will entail if you enter  by the thread title ...enter if it interests you or don't but don't dictate where things belong....... your role  isn't Moderator..talk to them instead just a suggestion

Victim what? Where did I say I was a victim? Where do you get that from in anything that I said? This statement makes absolutely no sense. :lol: So, now you are trying to silence my opinion because I'm not a moderator? Kind of double standard-like isn't it? The same people will be opposed who are opposed now. The same people who don't care are going to not care. The same people who are for it will remain for it. No matter the name, no matter the color, no matter the athlete, coach, owner, or whoever doing it. It's the same arguments from all sides since 2016. Nothing has changed except the names. You're obviously confused as to the point I am making though so there's really nothing left for me to say here. Continue on with your 1A right to bicker about whatever it is you choose. :thumbsup:

Edited by H2o

8 hours ago, H2o said:

Victim what? Where did I say I was a victim? Where do you get that from in anything that I said? This statement makes absolutely no sense. :lol: So, now you are trying to silence my opinion because I'm not a moderator? Kind of double standard-like isn't it? The same people will be opposed who are opposed now. The same people who don't care are going to not care. The same people who are for it will remain for it. No matter the name, no matter the color, no matter the athlete, coach, owner, or whoever doing it. It's the same arguments from all sides since 2016. Nothing has changed except the names. You're obviously confused as to the point I am making though so there's really nothing left for me to say here. Continue on with your 1A right to bicker about whatever it is you choose. :thumbsup:

Okay I'll answer this ..no you didn't label yourself a victim but you griped about people posting about athletes kneeling when  you never weren't  forced to open the thread. " OH Poor Me I am forced to see a thread about kneeling in the football threads" ....  It's  your choice to open it......or Not...... I suggested you contact a mod if you wanted its change of forum. But to chastise posters for something you don't like discussed?....No I guess I dont get your point mine remains the same if you don't like the topic why enter the thread.  Same arguments since 2016  is a different take altogether. I disagree with that too  I think the George Floyd death changes the narrative and awareness of the problem exponentially.

Edited by Muppy
clarifying

one last comment and I'll bow out of this discussion. Not meaning to disparage anybody but I don't think encouraging the population not to discuss such topics is helpful or fruitful  especially when people are discussing how their views are changing and evolving from when this kneeling issue came into the NFL discussion and national stage. Apologies to @H2o I just was rankled by his opinion that it be shuffled off to a different forum. Its relevant wether we want it to be or not.

Rightly or wrongly this issue is infringing on our NFL football. Do I wish these discussions weren't relevant or necessary absolutely. And yes this issue isnt new. But the increased discussion in favor of a peaceful protest indeed IS by virtue of how many people are speaking out now agreeing with kneeling as a peaceful protest. Its an important change in national dialogue as well as in the NFL scheme of things. I hope it doesnt just become a symbolic gesture and can somehow open into discussions of how to make meaningful change off the football field.

Peace OUT.

Edited by Margarita
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Putin said:

If kneeling has nothing to do with disrespecting the ?? or the military , then why Brees got crucified for standing up for the ?? and the military that his both grandparents served ? 

Damn dude you're way off on that one. He got roasted because he failed to see it as disrespect to the flag. Its been 4 years and someone who went to Purdue and is considered one of the most intelligent people in the NFL couldn't open his ears enough to figure out the message. That is why he got lit up online. I am glad he listened to his teammates and opened up his mind enough to understand the stance.  

It doesnt take a Purdue education to listen...

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

To me, what Kaep did & started is what is so amazing about America.  I love it. I happen to agree w/ what they were doing, but I also embrace expressions of opinion that I disagree with, as well.

It's what makes us great.  Think about the countries we see as oppressive - opinion is more monolithic. Criticism of the gov't & open expression is generally not allowed, and often punished.  

We shouldn't be afraid of opinions, or how people express them - unless they hurt someone or are of the "fire in a crowded theater" variety.  The founders called it the marketplace of ideas.  We should welcome opinions that oppose our own.  We shouldn't try to shut them down - if we disagree, we should counter them with our own opinions.

43 minutes ago, BillsFan2313 said:

Yeah, and my opinion that its shocking to me. Is that cool, dude? 

Sure. Just pointing out that people have the right to a different opinion. Its taxing to see people shame those if they do not conform to others thinking. You even posting a comment on the poll results says it all...dude 

The problem with kneeling out of protest for ANYTHING, is knowing when to decide it’s OK to get back up! Bowing your head out of respect for the fallen is different. Respect never ends. Protesting on the other hand...has to end sometime...no?

• Like (+1) 2

I would have to say I would not be happy if McDermott decided to kneel during the national anthem. If it were a one time deal to start the season and it was an act of solidarity performed by all players and fans, then I might not have an issue with it. But if it was a persistent thing then I would be totally opposed. 

We could all right a book on this topic alone but briefly I believe the national anthem to be one of the few things (maybe the only thing) that we should all do together as Americans. Despite what some people say, the United States is the greatest country in the world and most people outside the US agree with this and would do almost anything to live in America. I think standing and putting your hand over your heart is not too much to ask of us all to do for a moment in time. A moment where we are all one and there are no factions. That is why I could get behind a one time deal where we still all came together as one but after that I want to go back to standing and tradition. 

We could debate whether systemic racism still exists or whether there are just some racists performing bad acts (there is a difference). But that again is a deeper conversation. I don’t think the anthem is the be all end all place to protest if u are on the side that there is systemic racism. There are many other ways and platforms out there and we can still all come together in respect and as one during the anthem for that brief moment in time. 

But like many other traditions have faded, I fear that the anthem is next. There seems too eager of a push to accept do whatever u want during the anthem and again I’m not a fan of that. I’m not a fan of people sitting, wearing hats, talking during and many other things during the anthem either so it is not just kneeling. Again, I believe this is one time we should be encouraged to celebrate our country and mourn those who have died for it coming together as one. 

Edited by racketmaster
  • Thank you (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, Mailman said:

Sure. Just pointing out that people have the right to a different opinion. Its taxing to see people shame those if they do not conform to others thinking. You even posting a comment on the poll results says it all...dude 

Cool, dude. Opinions are opinions, polls or not. I expressed an opinion, did I not? Why are you questioning my opinion? See how this works? 

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Don Otreply said:

I Appreciate your sentiments, and I thank you,  it was a privilege to serve my country.

The owners of our country, yes us citizens, in effect have no constitutional rights if government or business entities can thwart them when ever they feel inclined. The playing field is not level. 

Capitalism brings many rewards, and is mostly a good thing,  but greed and power (capitalism’s twin evils) need to be properly regulated for the common good of everyone. Presently the greed and power aspects are out of hand, and those two things are the root cause of our current social unrest. 

Errr...what?

I thought that the excessive force used by a police officer on a black man was the root cause of current social unrest.

Where are you getting your news from?

I would not only support Sean but applaud him. I will be shocked if the entire Bills team isn't kneeling before the game. I could care less if its before, during or after the anthem. Last I checked the flag also stands for "Liberty and Justice for ALL!. The military doesn't have exclusive rights with regards to the meaning of the flag. Let the movement continue, long overdue.

Edited by LABILLBACKER
  • Like (+1) 1