Bill O'Brien will kneel...JJ Watt says kneeling is no disrespect to the flag or military

What if McDermott announced he would kneel?  

299 members have voted

1. 1. Would you be in support of McDermott kneeling in protest with his players this year?

• Yes, I would support it
    • No, I would not support that

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/29307489/texans-jj-watt-says-taking-knee-american-flag

Not sure a head coach has kneeled with players during the anthem. Interesting. I love to see that Watt get it.

I'm really interested to see how the board would feel if McDermott announced he would kneel with his players. I personally would love to see it as long as he truly wants to protest the American government, but not if he is simply doing it to build some sort of stronger report with the players.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

Maybe he would do it in support of his players, even though he personally hasn't had an issue with the system.

Either way, I'm fine with whatever protest someone else wants to partake in. That's their right and it doesn't affect me.

• Like (+1) 9
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

I will say that I would proudly support McD kneeling in what should, in my opinion, be considered a respectful, silent protest in solidarity with fellow Americans' struggle for civil liberties, and the end to systemic racism-- ideals that are rooted in the constitution, and for which countless veterans have given their lives.

• Like (+1) 17

It doesn’t bother me at all if a player wants to legally and silently protest in this manner as it is their legal right.  The league should have never made it a stipulation players cannot.  I also applaud players who actually do something to further the cause about equality for all.  Having said that, I wouldn’t do it as I have been raised to put my hand over my heart for the fallen.  People on the league if they want to silently protest, ok.  They aren’t hurting anyone, they are not looting, committing acts of violence, or anything else.

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, StHustle said:

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/29307489/texans-jj-watt-says-taking-knee-american-flag

Not sure a head coach has kneeled with players during the anthem. Interesting. I love to see that Watt get it.

I'm really interested to see how the board would feel if McDermott announced he would kneel with his players. I personally would love to see it as long as he truly wants to protest the American government, but not if he is simply doing it to build some sort of stronger report with the players.

I think Garrett did it didn't he? And Jerry? They all did it as I recall.

There's nothing more American than allowing players to kneel during the national anthem. "I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it." 

A smart move for the NFL after the National Anthem would be to ask everybody in the stadium (including the players) to rise and have 15 seconds of silence to honor the brave men and women in the military to honor those who are serving/have served or died defending this country.

Edited by Doc Brown
  • Like (+1) 6
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Doc, you’re right a moment of silence is very appropriate.  The problem is not in kneeling, or standing, it’s complacency over time and more than kneeling or any other peaceful protest, it’s our law enforcement agencies enforcing their already rules in their patrol guide including repercussions for breaking the patrol guide.  In addition, it’s all of us teaching our children with every action and being a role model, it’s not black lives matter, it’s all lives matter.  That is not to say the black lives matter movement is not a great step, I’m just taking it farther.  Arabic lives matter, asian lives matter Hispanic lives matter, women’s lives matter, and so on.  Stopping prejudice starts at home, and not allowing it from others.

I do my very best to be kind to all people regardless of what I wrote above, and regardless of their socioeconomic status.  It’s interesting every corporation I’ve ever worked has a zero tolerance for any off color jokes, comments, etc.

If kneeling has nothing to do with disrespecting the ?? or the military , then why Brees got crucified for standing up for the ?? and the military that his both grandparents served ? 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

I’m usually getting myself a beer or a snack during the national anthem and nobody ever told me I was disrespecting the flag or military for doing so.

Of course, I support anyone and everyone who wants to peacefully protest in a manner that does not disrupt the rights of others.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Putin said:

If kneeling has nothing to do with disrespecting the ?? or the military , then why Brees got crucified for standing up for the ?? and the military that his both grandparents served ? 

Because Brees came across as judge, jury and executioner with his pompous and self-serving comments to try to make him look better, with him making it sound like anyone who disagreed with him and acted differently than him regarding the flag and anthem was disrespectful, wrong, and unpatriotic. That is fiction, prejudicial, ignorance and arrogance, and  causes division  to those watching and teammates who believe differently, as to many kneelers, non-conformists, etc, they feel they want that same right to kneel, feel, express or act differently without criticism, disrespect and threats against them. Instead Brees' comments made him look like a fool. I would never chastise but respect a saluter who believes the flag is a symbol of the heroes and the good about America IF they gave that same respect to other views and opinions and did not disrespect them..

I would respect those who kneeled too and felt it was their right to do such peacefully, if that kneeling or flag represented to them something else, because of oppression, racism, or all the bad in the country that they hope is fixed. Protesting and not doing the politically correct thing can open ears, eyes and minds! It's called keeping those in power in check, and holding them accountable for wrongs for the status quo that is not working but hurting others. Some might argue, "there is a time and place to do that, but not on tv and in sports." Well, ok, then stop playing the anthem in sports and telling athletes, viewers how to think, act and feel, to please the government who paid for the anthem in sports venues and demanded standing for it. Get politics and agendas out of sports, for both sides then, not just for one side. Otherwise, I will respect all, kneelers and saluters, if they respect the other!

I will never respect a saluter that CALLS OUT and says kneelers are not to be respected, but never respect a kneeler that CALLS OUT and says saluters are disrespectful or bad either. That is where my problems are. Otherwise, both I would respect, as both are likely trying to unite the country in different ways. Brees apologized. So, that is a start. 

So to "Putin" the answer is, because Brees disrespected the others. Had he just stated what the flag meant to him and why he stood for it or saluted, great! But, to also state or suggest the others were disrespectful and he would never respect them, how disrespectful and prejudicial is that? He does not know a darn think why each of  the others are doing what they are doing, as each may have their own specific beliefs and reasons. They could love their country as much as or more than him, by wanting equality for all, and to end the bad things that this country does to those who look, act or feel different. Saluting the flag or standing does not make one a good person, nor does kneeling. Its the other actions, inactions and words they do their entire lives that is more indicative of who one really is... 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Sad 1

I pledge allegiance to the flag

Of the United States of America

And to the REPUBLIC FOR WHICH IT STANDS

The flag stands for the republic, not necessarily what folks who are against kneeling suggest.  

One nation, under God, indivisible

WITH LIBERTY AND JUSTICE FOR ALL

So is there liberty and justice for all?  That’s the issue being protested.

• Like (+1) 12

I’m over this dumb debate. How about they stand for the near 200k people who are going to be dead from COVID-19 by the time the season starts or the health care workers whom saved countless lives 

Players can stand, kneel, sit, or lay down for all I care. It doesn’t impact me one bit, and it’s not going to bring anymore awareness to the issue than it already has. 

Edited by JetsFan20
  • Like (+1) 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

I don’t care if they kneel or not, but remember the backlash it caused in 2016 and the drop in tv ratings.

No matter what you or I say, people are going to be alienated over this and is the NFL gonna be prepared for another ratings drop?

We shall see.

• Like (+1) 7
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, Rocky Landing said:

I will say that I would proudly support McD kneeling in what should, in my opinion, be considered a respectful, silent protest in solidarity with fellow Americans' struggle for civil liberties, and the end to systemic racism-- ideals that are rooted in the constitution, and for which countless veterans have given their lives.

I'm just curious, where exactly is systemic racism prevalent? Now, keep in mind you don't know my gender, my race, my religion, absolutely anything else. Do not get defensive, just simply asking a question.

Moreover, this whole, this is when we choose to do it, but it doesnt mean we are being disrespectful... its the equivalent of saying "no offense, but..." before saying something *****.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 3

Well BRAVO, only players are stupid enough to alienate their revenue source. As they commit financial suicide and then strike when the salary cap can't be raised let's see them kneel more.

The biggest reason why owners around the league stopped this is because the stadiums were rapidly emptying and ratings went down.

As an employee you cannot dictate the terms of employment except for immoral or unethical clauses.

If the Bills kneel as a sign of protest I won't be watching this year. As Martin Luther King astute observed that peaceful protesting "does not seek to defeat or humiliate the opponent, but to win his friendship and understanding."

• Like (+1) 7
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

16 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

I pledge allegiance to the flag

Of the United States of America

And to the REPUBLIC FOR WHICH IT STANDS

The flag stands for the republic, not necessarily what folks who are against kneeling suggest.  

One nation, under God, indivisible

WITH LIBERTY AND JUSTICE FOR ALL

So is there liberty and justice for all?  That’s the issue being protested.

You are right. There should be justice for all! It’s worth fighting for. And our brothers no matter there ethnicity need help at times. Things need to change  in some areas such as  with police brutality and racial profiling. Unlike what the media tends to portray there are many good cops but/this stuff happens way to much. We as a country can do better! Not perfect but better! 

It’s not against the law to kneel during the national anthem and many folks tend to look past it. Myself included. I actually admire Kaepernick’s courage but not his choices at times. His cause is just but his methods not so much IMO.He and others insist that there is no disrespect meant toward military. I believe that. This country is a republic and that means that the public or the people own and govern!! . Not a King or dictator who owns everything and rules over everyone. Our obligation as citizens is to each other not to a king!! We also have an obligation to fight injustice!! Kneeling during the anthem was a great way to get attention to his cause but making it a every game, during the anthem protest, was not probably a wise choice. If he didn’t want it to be disrespectful of our union as a country then perhaps kneel at other times as some here have suggested. Or maybe refusing to play the first series for example. Kap took it upon himself with help and has definitely paid a price for his actions. He shouldn’t expect to voice his opinion and not take the heat and consequences. Taking legal actions to regain what he felt was lost income made it seem to be about him and not the cause. And little things like his disrespectful socks at a team practice wasn’t helpful either. But what he is fighting for is worth attaining. Do we have to kill and destroy to accomplish that?! Do we have to destroy the things that are meant to bind us together(anthem)in order to cast out the parts that should never have been to begin with(racism)!!?

Some of my family members have shared their own experiences with racism. The root cause is simple. Sin!! That applies to us all!!

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

I had an interesting conversation with a successful African-American business person I know about the current state of race relations and one topic was kneeling before the flag.   Their views were a lot different from the dominant narrative being played out almost everywhere.  And while they would hesitate to say these things publicly for fear of being attacked their insights opened my mind to viewing things from a lot of different angles.  Its goes like:

"From the perspective of a minority person I think blaming white racism for all the problems faced by African-American people and communities is blacks saying the white man has the power to decide our fate. And the only way things are going to get better for us is if white people become less racist and treat us better.  And white people joining in kneeling isn't so much joining us in the fight but rather them giving us their permission to try to improve our conditions.  The entire concept ignores the principles of free will & control of your own destiny and replaces that with a mindset of dependence. Other minorities that prosper in America don't have this mindset. Think about that?"

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 2