Franchise QB's

I believe that the Bills have found their franchise QB for the next 10 years in Josh Allen. This year should provide either the verification of that or the fallacy.  That made start to think about teams that have been lucky enough (or are great planners) that have had back-to-back franchise QBs.  Makes me jealous thinking about it.  The Bills have not had a pair. 

Here's my list (it's a short one) of teams with back-to-back franchise QBs:

1. Green Bay Packers - Farve and then Rogers
  2. SF 49ers - Montana and then Young
  3. Indianapolis Colts - Manning and then Luck

I can't come up with any other pairs that come close to these three.  Thoughts?

• Like (+1) 1

Pats****** are not on the list ? Also Ravens did win a SB with Flacco and now with Lamar  are  one of the favorites to win a SB 

Edited by Putin
  • Like (+1) 3

12 minutes ago, Putin said:

Pats****** are not on the list ? Also Ravens did win a SB with Flacco and now with Lamar  are  one of the favorites to win a SB 

I HATE,HATE,HATE to throw the Cheatriots any props but Bledsoe and Brady should fit your description.

• Like (+1) 6

Well said Putin.  Back in his prime Bledsoe was good enough to get them to a SB, even though they lost, and there is no argument about Brady.  The Ravens might have it if Lamar Jackson ends up as there franchise guy, as Flacco was their franchise guy for 10 years, won a SB, and spanked the Pats a couple of times in the playoffs.

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, machine gun kelly said:

Well said Putin.  Back in his prime Bledsoe was good enough to get them to a SB, even though they lost, and there is no argument about Brady.  The Ravens might have it if Lamar Jackson ends up as there franchise guy, as Flacco was their franchise guy for 10 years, won a SB, and spanked the Pats a couple of times in the playoffs.

Still not buying LJ. Watching him suck throwing outside the hash marks in the Titan’s game , I feel like last year was his flash in the pan year. Not just because of him, either. It seemed like a Magic year for the Ravens which I’m not sure they repeat. 

• Like (+1) 2

It's arguable on both ends, but IMO Romo and Prescott fit, though hopefully Prescott will regress and have me looking like an idiot for saying this.

Should've been Kemp and Lamonica, but that didn't work out.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 1

Just now, machine gun kelly said:

Good catch Ralph as Alex Smith doesn’t get the credit he deserves.  He was on a horrible SF team, but seemed to hit his rhythm in KC, and I doubt anyone is not thinking Mahomes is a franchise guy.

? 

I needed to look up some stats before blazing Alex Smith into Franchise Territory.  But I think he fits.

50-26 Win/Loss Record

4 out of 5 Seasons in KC with Playoff Appearances

Several Pro Bowls

He was definitely KCs “Franchise” QB.

As for Mahomes...he’s already a HOF QB.  

• Like (+1) 3

19 minutes ago, Buffalo Boy said:

Still not buying LJ. Watching him suck throwing outside the hash marks in the Titan’s game , I feel like last year was his flash in the pan year. Not just because of him, either. It seemed like a Magic year for the Ravens which I’m not sure they repeat. 

Agreed.  I don't think any team will ever win a Super Bowl with Lamar Jackson as their starting QB.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Fair points on Lamar as it is probably too early to tell, but if they keep constructing a team around his skills, he has a chance.  Ravens fans would shoot me, but I’ll take Allen over Lamar as I sincerely believe Allen eventually has a higher ceiling.  If Lamar doesn’t improve as a passer, he can only survive as a running QB for so long as lol at Cam.  He sparked quite a bit last year, so like Allen he needs to take a big step this year.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, machine gun kelly said:

I'll buy Bledsoe then Brady, but it's too early to make a call on Flacco then Jackson.  I need both QB's to be successful for their team for a number of years.

• Like (+1) 1

Really depends on what you consider to be a franchise QB. Flacco wasn’t anything special but he was literally their franchise QB for his entire career pretty much and Lamar is the reigning MVP so that seems like a good choice to me. 

Romo to Dak is an easy yes.

In a similar vein to the Flacco one, could argue that Dalton to Burrow might be as Dalton was literally a long term franchise QB for them. Certainly nowhere near as strong as the combos in the OP though. 

Likewise with the Smith/Mahomes combo. 

Edited by DCOrange

15 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Agreed.  I don't think any team will ever win a Super Bowl with Lamar Jackson as their starting QB.

I haven’t been in the Lamar camp either...I feel like he has too many shortcomings as an outside-the-hashmarks passer and his playing style leads one to believe that sooner or later he’ll get hurt, but I do give him credit for the season he had last year.  I will be paying close attention to how teams defend that offense this season, given how Buffalo limited their effectiveness and Tennessee really exposed them.

• Haha (+1) 1

Just now, eball said:

I haven’t been in the Lamar camp either...I feel like he has too many shortcomings as an outside-the-hashmarks passer and his playing style leads one to believe that sooner or later he’ll get hurt, but I do give him credit for the season he had last year.  I will be paying close attention to how teams defend that offense this season, given how Buffalo limited their effectiveness and Tennessee really exposed them.

Absolutely must give credit where it's due.  The kid had a phenomenal regular season and no one can take that away from him.  But .. for the second consecutive year, a top-notch defense in the playoffs made him look silly.  He is too limited and too predictable.  Baltimore had one shot to win it all with him and they blew it.  Window closed.

• Haha (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, eball said:

I think saying Tennessee exposed their offense is a bit of a stretch. If the receivers/tight ends had simply caught the passes they caught all year, there’s a very real chance they win that game despite their defense getting demolished by Henry.

The Bills undoubtedly did a great job defensively against them. The playoff game I would tend to say is a good sign for Lamar and the Ravens though. 

• Like (+1) 1

Packers are going to make it back to back to back I'm guessing.  

This lends to the draft QBs even when you have one crowd.  Look at the pats too. Could have easily had one with Jimmy g and now have stidham to give a shot.  This is why i like fromm choice.  You just never know. 

1 hour ago, Buffalo Boy said:

Oh I agree 100% and i am not a fan of LJ AT ALL ,  it wouldn’t surprise me at all if that gimmicky offense is going to hit a wall this year , They were able to do what they do/pound the ball  because of a great defense but we all saw what happens when they get behind and LJ has to throw the ball 

(not good Bob not good )  

6 minutes ago, H2o said:

Romo to Prescott, even though neither is in the elite category

How many playoff games have they both won in the last 15 years ? 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1