Dalvin cook is holding out for a new contract/ rumored that he might be up for trade

2 hours ago, JR in Pittsburgh said:

What’s with all these suspect RBs holding out? I can sort of understand a guy like Zeke or Leveon Bell holding out. 

But guys like Melvin Gordon and dalvin cook? Cook has exactly 1 good season, in which he played in 14 games.  Does he seriously think Minnesota will pay him? 

RBs need to realize that their position just doesn’t have the pay potential as other ones. Holding out isn’t fooling anyone. 

If you are going to hold out you also need to have more than 1 good season. If Cook was coming off of back to back very good to great seasons and had one more year left on his deal I would say you could at least hold out under the idea of "I have proven what I am." Cook hasn't proven he is able to stay on the field consistently and produce yet he wants a new deal? 

The gaul to say you want a deal after one good season at a less than premium position is just laughable. If you were a QB who had one really good season a team would want to see you sustain success, a RB hoping for a big deal after one good season is just barking up the wrong tree. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, billsfan89 said:

If you are going to hold out you also need to have more than 1 good season. If Cook was coming off of back to back very good to great seasons and had one more year left on his deal I would say you could at least hold out under the idea of "I have proven what I am." Cook hasn't proven he is able to stay on the field consistently and produce yet he wants a new deal? 

The gaul to say you want a deal after one good season at a less than premium position is just laughable. If you were a QB who had one really good season a team would want to see you sustain success, a RB hoping for a big deal after one good season is just barking up the wrong tree. 

flip side is he absolutely proved his talent and is at a position where you can’t wait to get paid. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

11 hours ago, BuffaloBills1998 said:

Would you trade for Dalvin cook? He is friends with Diggs and even commented how much it hurt to see the Vikings trade Diggs to here.  Maybe Diggs can try to recruit cook? 

BB1998, did you not see us drafting Moss after already having Singletary.  Why would we ever trade for a RB when we are set at the position, and our two guys are on rookie contracts.  That makes zero sense.  I understand you’re just floating it, but this won’t happen.  We need to keep our draft assets.  In addition, the cap will go down so we need our draft assets even more.  We also have a number of people to extend like White, Milano, Dawkins, and others.

Running backs are 4 to 5 year commodities now. How many big 2nd contract RBs are currently making the deal worth it for the team? Zeke?

Mcaffrey might as he is basically a WR anyway. 

Cook should get on with it and realise has no leverage 

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, NewEra said:

He’s an idiot.  I think we’re looking at the next Melvin Gordon if he wants that kind of money.   He’s a very good Rb.  I don’t view him as elite.  The only rb I’d pay more than 7-8 mill a year is an elite RB....I don’t think I’d pay him 10 a year 

why is he an idiot? His contract has 1 year left and he wants a new one. 

The key point is he really doesn’t have leverage.  If he pulls what Bell did, how did that workout for him?  He lost a $14.5 mil. Contract from Pittsburgh (a good team) for a  $13.5 Mil. Contract and lost $14.5 mil. During his holdout year.  He also ends up on the J-E-T-S, JETS, JETS, JETS with a coach who stinks and oh by the way doesn’t want him for the $, and didn’t use him the right way.  He will go into oblivion and lose tons of $ by the time he’s done.

Cook can get a decent contract in 2021 and the dumbest thing is his agent knows MN is tight in the cap which is why they let Diggs go for the picks.  Cook will be lucky to get a high end contract as MN can simply move on and select another RB with one of our draft picks from the trade.  This was not well played by Cook’s agent.

40 minutes ago, machine gun kelly said:

This was not well played by Cook’s agent.

I completely disagree.  Cook has cards here, the Vikings cap situation notwithstanding.

Minnesota is an ok team without Cook, but they're a top tier team with him.  Dalvin is one of the best 3 or 4 backs in football when healthy.  The time for him is now, not after another season of wear and tear.

2 hours ago, nucci said:

why is he an idiot? His contract has 1 year left and he wants a new one. 

To be fair to him, if he is bluffing here only, then this may be a decent tactic. But if he actually holds out, then I think he’s not being smart about it. He has no leverage. 

From the statements that he (or his agents) have made, it seems like this isn’t a hold-out situation. He keeps saying he wants a “reasonable deal” or “reasonable extension.”  

• Thank you (+1) 1