Chris Simms thinks Stidham is more talented than Tua

3 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

You could be right but Steve Young got 33 and Elway got a 29.  All respect to the best qb in franchise history, but I don’t think Kelly coming from Miami was some kind of genius.  

I don’t think he was a genius, but to run the K-Gun and memorize all those plays and make quick decisions on the fly I bet he could score in the high 20’s if he really tried. I also don’t really put that much into the wonderlic. I guess for some positions it might serve a purpose, but I would put more emphasis on college numbers, division, injury history and just about everything over the wonderlic. 

I would not write off this opinion just yet.  Despite all the Tua  love, the fact is he has not played in a long time, certainly not played against NFL level competition, and is largely a projection rather than a fact based reality.  He could very well suck, and it would not be surprising.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, vtnatefootball11 said:

I'm sorry but you guys are off on this and yes Chris Simms is an idiot.

I watch a ton of college football as well.  I went to Clemson so I am no Alabama fan, and I am always wary of overhyping a player with great support cast, particularly with that program, but Tua is an absolute scary good NFL prospect.  This is not an Alabama MLB with 3 NFL worthy DL in front of him clearing the way where you can't quite tell from the film.  This is a quarterback making jaw dropping throws on a consistent basis.  I acknowledge the injury risk, but his arm talent is undeniable and already better than 90% of current NFL Qbs.  I have never seen a QB with his touch/accuracy/timing at the college level and he has way more arm strength than Tebow/Leinart.  He can sit in the pocket and pick you apart and also keep plays alive like Russel Wilson.  His throws on the run are unbelievable.  The only guy I can compare his arm talent to is Drew Brees.  I'm scared as heck as to what he might do in Miami the next ten years if they can even partially right the ship on their rebuild with the rest of their roster.  In my mind he is single handedly the biggest threat the Bills face in the AFCE.

Out of the league in 4 years, injured or healthy

Simms was in the league and around some pretty good QB's for a decent amount of time (including his Dad).  What he is saying may have more to do with Tua than it does with Stidham.  When I watched a bunch of Alabama games, Tua was mainly delivering the ball to some wide open elite receivers that had just beat the pants off some over matched DB.  He also had an elite o-line in front of him.  His new reality in Miami  is considerably different.  Until he shows that he can perform in an NFL game, I remain just as skeptical of him as I do with Stidham.  The whole thing with the injury history probably factors significantly into Simms' assessment as well.  Personally, I hope they both turn out to be failures.  Go Bills!

14 minutes ago, Florida Bills Fanatic said:

When I watched a bunch of Alabama games, Tua was mainly delivering the ball to some wide open elite receivers that had just beat the pants off some over matched DB.

Hitting wide open receivers is not a knock on a QB.  It's soemthing NFl QBs can struggle with.  The average QB connects witha receiver less than 2/3 of the times he tries.

Also, Simms ranks Stidham essentially the same as Taysom Hill, who is not a QB in the NFL.  He's a moron.

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, BuffaloBills1998 said:

https://www.thephinsider.com/platform/amp/2020/6/12/21288719/nbcs-chris-simms-jarrett-stidham-is-more-talented-than-tua-miami-dolphins-new-england-patriots Is Chris Simms this stupid? I like that he’s all for Allen but this is just ridiculous. Stidham was mediocre at best in college and hasn’t really proven to be anything much more in the NFL. He’s another Matt Cassel from what I’ve see from him

His list is not a career projection.  It's "If I am an NFL head coach and my job is on the line in 2020, how confident does this QB make me feel about winning enough games to keep my job.  Thus, Tua's injury status is a HUGE part of this ranking and it's why other rookies are placed higher.  The fact Stidham enters year two in the same offense and did well in the preseason last year gets him bumped up in the rankings over a guy who suffered a hip dislocation and fracture 7 months ago.  So, I do not think this in and of itself makes Chris Simms stupid.

• Like (+1) 2

It's not an unreasonable opinion, not at all.

Doesn't mean he'll be right, but he's certainly got a chance to be, on this prediction.

Simms is smart, smart and opinionated. He probably puts a bit too much emphasis on the physical ability to throw hard for my taste but he knows how to watch tape and he knows a lot more about QBing than his moderately talented physique ever let him personally display on the field.

4 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

Doesn't mean he'll be right, but he's certainly got a chance to be, on this prediction.

Simms is smart, smart and opinionated. He probably puts a bit too much emphasis on the physical ability to throw hard for my taste but he knows how to watch tape and he knows a lot more about QBing than his moderately talented physique ever let him personally display on the field.

If not mistaken, he's also the one who said Lamar and Josh would be the best QBs out of the 2018 class.  He's looking good on that too.

2 hours ago, BuffaloBills1998 said:

https://www.thephinsider.com/platform/amp/2020/6/12/21288719/nbcs-chris-simms-jarrett-stidham-is-more-talented-than-tua-miami-dolphins-new-england-patriots Is Chris Simms this stupid? I like that he’s all for Allen but this is just ridiculous. Stidham was mediocre at best in college and hasn’t really proven to be anything much more in the NFL. He’s another Matt Cassel from what I’ve see from him

Tom Brady had a Stidham-like college career. Just keep a close eye on his physique. He might be on the TB12 method.

Toss up for me at this point - neither has any significant pro experience as a basis to form an opinion.

If you want to go by college production and act like that will always translate to the pro game, then sure, it’s hard to take Simms seriously. 

39 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

What do you think he saw in Taysom Hill's 6 pass attempts (3 completions) that led him to rank him at all, let alone the same as Stidham and ahead of actual QBs?

How long did it take to watch that tape?

2 hours ago, BigBuff423 said:

In my mind, when you talk about QBs that are most likely to be successful at the NFL level, talent is rarely the defining characteristic. If it were, RGIII, Akili Smith, Ryan Leaf, Jamarcus Russell would be winning multiple championships so to me, it is much more about the ability to lead an Offense and be efficient and capable within the framework of the given Offense. To that end, maybe Stidham will be better in the long-run based on the aforementioned traits, but it's hard to argue that Tua has less significant raw, unprocessed talent. However, the ability to handle the mental workload, to make accurate reads and passes, handle his business off the field and lead while on it, taking the relentless work ethic to a new level, and ability to rally his teammates when the collective spirit is down, is yet to be determined and may have more merit than just talent

You clearly have not done your research on Tua (and maybe even know nothing about him?).  Yes his arm talent is off the charts, especially his accuracy, but so are his intangibles.

Look what people who know him say about his work ethic and, professionalism. Even opposing college coaches and players talk about what a great person he is.  He is the epitome of what you want in a franchise quarterback on and off the field.  Well spoken, incredibly nice guy from a loving family, never been in trouble, his teammates have the upmost respect for him, etc. He does need to continue to progress with his reads, but what college quarterback doesn't? Oh and his ability rally teammates when things are down? How about coming into the game for an Alabama team that was getting their but kicked in the national championship against UGA at halftime as a true Freshman entirely cold without playing the whole year and leading them back to win with arm?  Is that enough of an indicator for you? 

2 hours ago, GoBills808 said:

Out of the league in 4 years, injured or healthy

You clearly don't have the slightest clue as to what you're talking about.  

As long as his left arm doesn't break the guy is going to be picking people apart from the pocket like Brees.  Please do the a modicum of research next time before embarrassing yourself.  I went to Clemson and quite frankly can't stand Alabama but your ignorant, unintelligent comment is just too much I can't let it slide. 

15 minutes ago, vtnatefootball11 said:

You clearly don't have the slightest clue as to what you're talking about.  

As long as his left arm doesn't break the guy is going to be picking people apart from the pocket like Brees.  Please do the a modicum of research next time before embarrassing yourself.  I went to Clemson and quite frankly can't stand Alabama but your ignorant, unintelligent comment is just too much I can't let it slide. 

Ok 

• Haha (+1) 1